FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Panasonic TX-55GZ950

<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:54 pm

Panasonic TX-55GZ950

Hi
I am still using version 1.5.2 as I like the way it works in Windows and absolutely hate the Plex clone thereafter!
With a new Panasonic TX-55GZ950 TV (and Atmos soundbar system) I am somewhat disappointed that it cannot play the latest audio formats either through DLNA or via usb.
Trying some manufacturer sample movies indicates that they too don't use higher level sound tracks!
I tried changing my WDTV Live (only 1080p but still great for these) for a Vero4K box and found it would not play 4K movies. I am waiting for the Nvidia Shield Pro to come back in stock.
In the meantime, I want to play some 4k movies with just stereo.
I have tried all the profiles available with this version and have found those with MKV play video, those with MPEG TS and PS don't play at all.
None of the profiles play any sound.
Does anyone know where I can find a working profile to change DTS, DTS-HD, TrueHD and Atmos x265 HDR MKV movie sounds to aac, while retaining the video as is.
Is there a location for a library of profiles?
Will I need to install a later version to extract it or can I just modify my existing profile xml file?
Will I then be able to use it with 1.5.2?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:38 pm

Re: Panasonic TX-55GZ950

I don't know what you mean by "Plex clone". Serviio is nothing like Plex, other than it has a web interface for video playback with Serviio Pro (MediaBrowser). Plex uses a proprietary method of feeding it's dedicated player apps, with DLNA support added after the fact. Serviio is a pure DLNA server, with no dedicated apps for TVs, media players or Blu ray players.

I can't say if you could use a profile from a newer version of Serviio, but I would have my doubts. 4K TVs were barely a thing when 1.5.2 came out in 2015. OK, maybe not barely, but there has been a large number of changes and improvements in Serviio in that time. For example, 1.5.2 was the last version that required you to install Java. Starting with 1.6 Java was embedded in the install, so you always have the correct version. No, you really can't run two different versions of Serviio on the same computer. They would both attempt to use the same ports, and that isn't permitted.

I have no doubt you could find a profile that works for you to watch your media and still have video and audio using the TV itself. Although Panasonic never impressed me with their DLNA implementation on an older set I had, maybe they've improved it. Looking up the specs for the TX-55GZ950, I see it's a 4K TV, with support for HDR10, HDR10+, HLG and Dolby Vision. As you may know, so far it's not possible to rip a UHD Blu ray and retain the DV information. HDR10, 10+ and HLG are no problem. You will likely run into issues trying to stream a ripped UHD disc, as they generally have bitrates in the range of 150 Mbps, which far exceeds the limits of Fast Ethernet. However, your TV does support 802.11ac, which is more than capable of streaming that level of bitrates.

Since your TV supports 4K, it should play H.265 video without a problem. As you noted, your TV doesn't support the lossless audio codecs. But no other TV does either, so that's not unexpected. Therefore, you need a profile that can transcode the audio, but leave the video untouched. I have the perfect profile, but you won't find it in that old version of Serviio.

If you would like to try a profile from the latest version of Serviio, you're most welcome to try. But honestly I don't know why you wouldn't just want to update it. I believe the profile that will do precisely what you want is the Roku 4K TV profile. As I said, it's not available in that old of a version of Serviio. And to try this profile, you'd have to add in all the Roku profiles, as they all inherit some settings from the basic Roku profile, which again you may or may not have, and it's absolutely not the current version of the profile. It also requires you to be comfortable working in the profiles.xml file, pasting the information in precisely the correct place, and being able to troubleshoot any issues you have.

However, I think you'd find it much simpler to install the latest version of Serviio. It has a much better console, and being web based you don't have to be sitting at your Serviio computer to make changes. If you aren't using MediaBrowser, there's nothing that even closely resembles Plex. MediaBrowser is only for playback. It doesn't have any of the configuration functions that you might be thinking of in Plex. As long as you still have the 1.5.2 install file, you can just remove your 2.0 install and reinstall 1.5.2. Yes, you have to set it up again, but honestly I can't see why you'd want to go back.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:52 pm

Hi
I uninstalled version 1.5.2. Installed version 2.0 (with its change for change sake and no system tray) then saved the profiles.
Uninstalled version 2.0. Reinstalled version 1.5.2 and tried with the version 2.0 profiles.
I don't know why this should be, but I can confirm 1.5.2 does not work with 2.0 later profiles. So uninstalled 1.5.2 and reinstalled version 2.0.

In version 1.5.2 I tried all the available profiles; as reported only the MKV video played but sound reported file not supported.
In version 2.0 however; the same profiles no longer play the video at all when reporting file not supported. A change for the worse!
I then tried all the additional profiles but despite recognising these as MKV all showed file not supported, so I can't even get the video playing any more.

In transcoding I have set 'Produce the Best Video Quality' (which should be passthrough but not apparently in version 2.0) , and 'Downmix to Stereo'.
I note that in version 2.0 none of the options now attempt to create a file in the transcoding folder, when they did in version 1.5.2.
It would appear that either the transcoding is not working or none of the Serviio profiles supports 4k movies in version 2.0.
Any further help or feedback would be appreciated.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:10 pm

When you tried 2.0, which profile was assigned to your TV? I can't understand something that was working but now not. I'm wondering of the profile you had been using in 1.5.2 had been updated/removed from newer versions.

Many users that have had issues with older TV profiles have had success with the Roku 4K TV profile. If you haven't tried that profile yet, please give it a shot and let us know how it goes.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:05 am

First, let me apologise. The reason 2.0 wasn't working is that I forgot to turn my drive back on; Serviio tends to work better when you have the source file available (add your own adjectives!).
So now, I have tried the Roku 4k option, but found only few of the sound files were supported. Transcoding made everything worse.
See my attached PDF file for the movie options tried and the results obtained.
It would appear that the higher level audio is not being transcoded down to AAC.
So what can I do to get the audio transcoding?
Attachments
Movie Playback.pdf
(431.2 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:56 pm

Your second grouping, saying No transcoding: does that mean you've unchecked the Enable transcoding box on the transcoding tab of the Serviio console? If so, I would have expected that to be identical to the generic profile, which does no transcoding at all. The FNS finding for everything under Generic is expected for almost all of those, as they contain unsupported audio for the most part. But there are certainly a number that I would have expected to work, such as x264 video/DD audio/MKV container. That's so generic that almost anything would play that. Your TV has very poor codec support. In fact, I'm shocked that the only that plays is AAC audio and TrueHD(!), although you were selecting the #2 audio track, which is likely DD, so why didn't DD play with the other files?

For the most part, the results I see on the center group (Roku 4K TV) is what I would expect with transcoding enabled. I'm not surprised FLAC isn't captured, as Roku devices support FLAC so there's no Matches line for it. However, all the unplayable audio tracks just doesn't make sense. Any DD audio should play on the TV without a problem. The DTS/DTSHD/TrueHD audio should all be transcoded to DD, but since your TV is having issues with DD as well, I have no explanation. Based on some files that did play without transcoding, it looks like you need your audio to be transcoded into AAC. Makes no sense, but that seems to be what's needed. No idea why the AVI file didn't work at all, as I have a couple of AVIs that transcode and play on the Roku without a problem. But then, your TV doesn't seem to do much of anything with transcoded files.

Give me a little time, and I'll see if I can whip up something for you to try.
Dan

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:01 pm

I've looked up your model online for a manual. Can you confirm you are in the UK? I want to make sure I'm looking at the correct manual, as supported codecs can differ in different countries.

Based on the manual I'm looking at, your TV should be playing Dolby Digital audio without a problem. It also should be playing the AVI file with H.264 video and PCM audio. In fact, it should be playing virtually everything you have, other than the lossless and DTS audio. So I'm really at a loss as to what your TV actually will play.

This is what I'll try. I'll make a profile that transcodes all audio to AAC, and leave alone the video codecs. That will be a quick and dirty test to see if we can isolate where the troublesome codecs are.

Unfortunately, some TVs will say they play something, but over DLNA they only support a subset of what will play from an attached USB drive. I do see on the chart that FLAC audio is supported, but only in the FLAC container, so not with video. The manual also includes this caveat:
Some files my not be played back even if they fulfil these conditions
Dan

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:23 pm

OK, try this. All it does is send all video through without transcoding, and transcodes all audio to AAC. Then run it through your same test files.

After you copy this file into your serviio/config folder, restart the server and select the profile named "Panasonic TV (GZ-series)". We'll see what happens.
Attachments
user-profiles.xml
(1.43 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
Dan

<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:29 pm

Hi
Your assumption regarding transcoding was correct.
I took onboard your comments and managed to find a definitive guide to the files playable on the Panasonic, see attached.
It appears the TV should play native DD and DD+ movies.
So I tried some formats on a USB port and it appears some play and others don't. I checked the MediaInfo for the files and can see no reason why some play and others don't.
Its possibly a quirk of the Panasonic.

The file you kindly provided didn't allow Serviio to work, probably due to my limited knowledge of the file naming conventions.
I tried the following:
Rename LIB folder file 'profiles.xml' to 'profiles orig.xml'
Copy the file 'user-profiles.xlm' to LIB folder.
Rename the file 'user-profiles.xlm' to 'profiles.xlm'
Serviio wont open: stuck on 'Serviio-Console-Wrapper' and states 'Cannot connect to the server, it doesn't appear to be running...'
Reboot PC.

Copy contents of 'user-profiles.xlm' and add Panasonic TV (GZ-series) to 'profiles.xlm'.
Serviio wont open: stuck on 'Serviio-Console-Wrapper' and states 'Cannot connect to the server, it doesn't appear to be running...'
Reboot PC.

Edit the new 'profiles.xml' file to follow the format of the other devices: success! Measure twice, cut once!
I now have all of the files working with video and audio (the avi isn't important), see attached.
I cannot see why from the xml file, but the transcoded videos are now upsized to 2160p from a typical 1608p letterbox size.
I turned off the transcoding setting 'produce the best video quality' and the problem remains.
Have you any idea why this should be and how I can resolve the transcoding picture size?
Many thanks again
Attachments
Panasonic TX-55GZ950 Supported Formats.txt
(1.76 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
Video Playback #2.pdf
(435.86 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:50 pm

No, you don't replace the existing profiles.xml file at all. Leave it in place, and just put the user-profiles.xml file in the same folder. The original file is required for Serviio to work. The User-profiles file is an add-on, and is not touched when Serviio is updated.
Dan

<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:49 am

My apologies again, but I am not familiar with how Serviio uses the profiles, and as your recommendation did not work, tried a method that does appear to work.
Leaving it in place as well as the original profile means the GZ option as you suggest means it is not listed and hence is not selectable (after reboot). See attachments.

Given that my method appears to work, all I need now is a way for the video files to be left alone and not upsized.
Regards
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (38.45 KiB) Viewed 10517 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (37.33 KiB) Viewed 10517 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:42 pm

OK, I didn't test that user profile file, so I might have made a typo in there. But if you have something working, that's great. :D

But I don't know what you mean by not upsizing a video file. If you can explain what you mean, perhaps I can answer something there.
Dan

<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:15 pm

If I go back and use the Roku 4K TV profile all the movies play in their native format. But none of them played sound.
That is to say a 4k movie in letterbox style with a height of say 808p or 1634p plays the video with that native height.
A 2160p movie played full screen.
If I now use the GZ-series profile I get sound on all the movies, but letterbox style video is now artificially expanded to the 2160p heigh meaning that the image is now distorted.
Imagine R2D2 twice the expected height but with the original width: R2x2D2 perhaps!
This doesn't appear to affect 2160p 4k movies or 1980p HD movies, only 4k letterbox style.
As I mentioned before, turning off the 'produce the best video' option in transcoding has no affect on the expanded image.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the GZ-series profile only having h264 codecs mentioned with no apparent h265 (for 4k movies) transcoding instructions?
Are the h265 movies being transcoded to h264 in Serviio?
Regards
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:27 pm

OK, now I understand ya. I think this is something specific with Panasonic, as I see some restrictions in some of the other Panasonic profiles for image sizing. But unfortunately all of the existing profiles are for HD sets, not UHD. I would have a problem trying to customize a profile when I don't have that model to test with.

I can't understand why you aren't getting audio with the Roku TV profile. It transcodes almost all audio to AC3, unless it's that codec already. About the only thing I can see it might miss is multi-channel AAC that uses the H.265 video codec. It only has a capture line for H.264 video. I have no idea why you can't get sound out of the vast majority of your media, as everything should work fine with the Roku TV profile. It must be something specific to Panasonic.

Also, I asked if you were in the UK, as that was where my web search kept coming back with results. It's possible that TVs in other countries have differences in codec support that I'm not aware of.
Dan

<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:16 pm

I am in the UK with a UK spec. TV.

With reference to the 'Roku 4kTV' profile, in the xml file it clearly states:
" This profile does not restrict the audio to 2 channel stereo. Roku TVs handle multi-channel AC3 without issue.
Most Roku TVs do not support DTS audio in any format, so it is transcoded to AC3. "

Where it is clear from my trials that the Panasonic only handles 2 channel stereo with any success, this is probably why this profile does not play sound files on the Panasonic.
It also references the h265 codec too.

I am still not sure why the 'GZ-series' profile should distort the video, when it plays correctly in the 'Roku 4kTV' file. Could this also be due to referencing the h265 codec.
I believe we are close to a resolution with a hybrid of the two profiles.
Is there a tutorial or guide to how the profiles work or need to be configured?
Is the xml formatting specific only to Serviio?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:34 pm

You bet, there's a guide to profile building at https://www.serviio.org/index.php?optio ... icle&id=24

I'm pretty sure the XML format is standard, but of course the fields are likely specific to Serviio. Since your TV supports H.265, and the Roku 4K TV profile lets H.265 pass without transcoding, I can't imagine why that test profile would be doing anything to the video. In fact, it doesn't alter any video at all, and I didn't have it extend anything from any other profile except the generic, which is needed at the root of all profiles. Even if a profile extends from another, and that one extends from another, eventually they all extend the generic profile.

So, there's where the difference might be between US and UK sets. Here all TVs can handle 5.1 AC3 without a problem, as that's the standard used for OTA broadcast. Perhaps the UK standard differs from that.
Dan

<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:09 pm

If I've understood the profile settings correctly your additional user profile only references profile ID1; 'Roku 4K' and it's inherited settings are not being used.
For the video not to change as in the 'Roku 4K' profile I would have expected that profile to be referenced with only the sound to be changed.
Before I waste time playing with the file again, do you agree with this assumption?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:25 pm

You are correct that I only used the generic profile for extension. That's usually the best place to start. But you won't hurt anything by changing the extension to a different profile. Just make sure you get the name correct or Serviio won't load. The name to use for the Roku 4K TV profiles is "Roku4kTV". In the main profiles file, it's called the ID, not name.
Dan

<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:02 pm

I have looked the Serviio transcoding information, but this only covers the how and doesn't explain the why.
I have tried the user-profile you provided and it now appears to be working, according to the log file But, as before the h265 video is being upsized.
I am trying to work out why this is. I think this is because they are being transcoded to h264.
I found a link that reported:
"Roku 4K TV This profile is identical to the profile above, except it allows H.265 video playback without transcoding." Which it does, which is why I think you recommended it beforehand.
But what it doesn't do is transcode the audio. I have made adjustments to this profile to transcode all audio to aac, but I am confused as to what the instructions are actually doing for H.265 video files.
I have tried several things but each time Serviio gives me a 500 error which is because the profile is corrupt.
Would you please give me some feedback of my profile instruction assumptions in the attached file.
Regards
Attachments
Understanding Profiles.txt
(3.03 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:36 pm

I appreciate your effort to understand and ask quality questions. :D

The Transcoding profile works from top to bottom, and once a line is matched with the media being played, it doesn't continue further in that profile. If nothing is matched in the main profile, it then jumps back to the profile that is inherited at the beginning.

Q1: the basic Roku profile that you reference is designed for the oldest Roku players that don't support H.265 and can't handle video bitrates over about 13 Mbps. That profile is not recommended at all for any Roku player released over the past 5 years. I would never recommend it for any non-Roku device, unless it too was quite old and underpowered.

Q2: That particular snip-it will transcode anything that wasn't captured by a previous line. Again, this is part of the basic Roku profile and is not needed by newer players.

Q3: I'm not certain what the Generic Transcoding tag is for, but it's included in all profiles, so there it is. In normal use, I'm not certain it does anything... :lol:

Q4: Yes, a profile segment that is matched will be used, and it will not refer back to the inherited profile.

Q5: No. Since this profile is designed for a player that supports H.265, there's no need for any matches line to capture H.265 video for transcoding. This particular line is for the VC-1 video codec, which is used on many 1080 Blu Ray discs. Roku players don't support VC-1, while it's possible your TV might. Only way to know would be to comment out that line, then play a VC-1 video.

Q6: again, I have no idea exactly what is purpose of the GenericTranscoding section. I did find this one entry in the support page:
GenericTranscoding - defines transcoding configuration to be used in specific cases, like hard subs encoding and video stacking.

Let me know if you still have any questions. It helps me learn as well when I have to look up stuff I'm unsure about! :D
Dan

Next

Return to Transcoding