FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Hardware transcoding

<<

daringCoder

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:20 pm

Hardware transcoding

Hi,

I use Serviio PRO 2.1 as a fantastic alternative to the old MiniDLNA (ReadyMedia) server. I have a dedicated video card (GTX 1070 Ti) in my NAS and want to enable hardware transcoding in Serviio because software transcoding takes up to 50% CPU (Xeon E5-2640v3). ffmpeg is already compiled with nvenc support and capable to perform hardware encoding/decoding.

So, how to do this?

Thank you.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:22 am

Re: Hardware transcoding

At this time Serviio doesn't support Nvidia hardware acceleration. However, there has already been a request to add it (https://bitbucket.org/xnejp03/serviio/i ... celeration) and right now the developer just shows it as in process. He did have it marked for version 2.1, but that is the current version and I don't believe it's been added yet.

One problem might be with ensuring the version of FFMPEG included with Serviio has the proper support. The site that used to maintain the Windows builds (Zeranoe) no longer exists.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

daringCoder

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:10 am

Okay, I see. That's a great news.

Howewer, I did a quick investigation and tried to "hack" embedded scheme (Profiles.xsd from serviio.jar) to enable support of nvenc transcoding. But simple addition of a new h264_nvenc term as a targetVideoCodec didn't help - probably, there are some hardcode entities inside of a core.

Well, will wait for the new feature then.
<<

Mohitvermaji51

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:03 am

software-based transcoding in Plex Media Server, home computers can seamlessly convert and stream video in real-time to any Plex app.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:17 pm

Mohitvermaji51 wrote:software-based transcoding in Plex Media Server, home computers can seamlessly convert and stream video in real-time to any Plex app.

Which is exactly what Serviio does. Plex has nothing special over Serviio in that regard, as both use a version of FFMPEG as their transcoding engine. It's also far easier to tailor the profile you use in Serviio to minimize the amount of transcoding done. Plex really doesn't support a user modifying the transcoding profiles, so it transcodes far more than necessary with many players.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Transcoding