FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Transcoding

<<

SavoGamer

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:44 pm

Transcoding

Hello,

I'm totally new to this so excuse my ignorance.
If transcoding is enabled, does it work with every file, even if they worked fine earlier without transcoding?

I mean, if I have some .avi which do not need transcoding and can be viewed just fine in my TV, when transcoding is enabled does it do its job even for those files?

Thanks

https://csgotips.dreamwidth.org/303.html
Last edited by SavoGamer on Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:34 pm

Re: Transcoding

Welcome to the world of home media streaming!

Transcoding is controlled by two things in Serviio. One is if it's enabled at all, and the other is the profile assigned to your player in the Status page of the Serviio console. By default, Serviio does try to assign the beat match between the player and the available profiles. But sometimes a different profile is a better match, or Serviio can't find a valid match at all.

If the profile is a reasonable match, it will have Serviio transcode only the files the player doesn't natively support. But depending on the accuracy of the profile, it might transcode more than necessary or not transcode when needed.

So, the first thing to do is to look in the Serviio console and find your player in the status list. It will show the assigned profile. If the name is a close match to your player, it's probably all good. If it shows the "generic" profile, that means Serviio did not find a match and is not transcoding anything.

There is one caveat to the transcoding rule. If you check the box in the console to burn the captions into the video stream, this causes transcoding for all files, regardless if they're supported or not.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Transcoding