FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Information about profiles_xml for ROKU audio to work

<<

ccarr690

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:40 pm

Information about profiles_xml for ROKU audio to work

I have had to change several sections in the Profiles.xml file in order to get my audio to work. I wanted to share what I have to do so hopefully changes can be implemented or the information can help anyone else.
I use mp4 s with h265 encoding
After hours of debugging and testing not only the Servio transcoding settings, but also changes to audio settings on the TVs. like PCM, Dolby, etc.. these are the settings I had to tweak in order to get proper playback.

around line 2670
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="h264" maxVBitrate="12000" forceVTranscoding="true" targetACodec="aac" aBitrate="128" forceStereo="true">
<!--cdc-->
<Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="high_10" />
<Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="high" levelGreaterThan="4.1" />
<Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="main" levelGreaterThan="4.1" />
<Matches container="*" widthGreaterThan="1920" />
</Video>
around line 2710
<!--<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="h264" maxVBitrate="12000" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="320">-->
<!-- for no surround passthrough-->
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="h264" maxVBitrate="12000" targetACodec="aac" aBitrate="128" forceStereo="true">
<!--cdc-->
<Matches container="*" />
</Video>

added another ROKU profile around line 2744

I have uploaded the file and if you do a search on 'cdc' you will see all of the sections I had to change.
Attachments
profilescdc.zip
(20.99 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:27 pm

Re: Information about profiles_xml for ROKU audio to work

Great work. I suggest creating a user profile file so you don't have to reenter your changes every time a new version of Serviio is released. Each release comes with a new copy of the Profiles.xml file and replaced the current version (it does save a copy).
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

ccarr690

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:36 pm

Thank you and I cant seem to find anywhere that shows how to make a user profile. That is a great idea!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:45 pm

This page gives the general guidance on creating a user profile file: https://serviio.org/index.php?option=co ... icle&id=16

I'm at work at the moment, so don't have access to the profiles file. But there are some examples available here on the forum under some other threads. Basically, you need the first few lines from the profiles.xml file, then you enter your personal profile, then you need the very last line from the profiles file to close out the XML tags. If you use an editor program like Notepad++, it highlights each opening and closing tag, to help you ensure the syntax is correct for XML.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

bkeith4web

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon May 30, 2022 8:53 pm

Just wanted to post a note on this, I just (May 2022) got a Roku Express 4k+ model 3491R and used the Roku 4k Media Player with mpeg2 support profile (roku4kmpm2) as a starting point for a customized user-profile entry.
The only thing I had to do was a last-ditch transcode for audio when a Dolby Atmos "a_eac3" codec was being used. MediaInfo reported it as a_eac3, I just put in a check for eac3 since a_eac3 was invalid and that got the audio working. So just adding this after the other transcode checks:

<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="320">
<Matches container="*" aCodec="eac3" />

I had to do the same thing for an old Sony blu-ray player that I've been using as a DLNA client because it's surprisingly compatible. The Roku handled h265 video without a problem, no transcoding needed.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue May 31, 2022 1:55 pm

Yeah, I wrote the Roku profiles with the assumption the basic audio codecs were supported by whatever the user is using for audio processing. Dolby Digital Plus (EAC3) is used by so many online streaming providers that most TVs will play it now. In my case my two primary Roku players connect to an AVR with full audio support. I'm considering creating just two Roku profiles moving forward, since few people are still using players old enough that need the bitrate restriction. Nah, that won't be enough, because Roku still sells players/TVs that don't support H.265, so there still needs to be separate 4K and 1080 profiles, and the TVs need slightly different profiles as well. Looks like I'm stuck with maintaining them all. :D
Dan

<<

xmas95

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:13 pm

This actually worked for me perfectly, thanks bkeith4web. I had just purchased the Roku Express 4K 2022 (Model #3940X2) and assigned the "Roku 4K Media Player (2016+)" profile to it in the Serviio console (v2.3) but any videos with eac3 would have no sound.
Added the following below to profiles.xml (after making a backup), Stopped/Started the service from the console and voila. It did a pretty good job at trans-coding the audio, I don't even notice a difference in my surround sound. I wasn't sure if the aBitrate="320" had to be tweaked but I left it since it worked fine.
</Video>

bkeith4web wrote:Just wanted to post a note on this, I just (May 2022) got a Roku Express 4k+ model 3491R and used the Roku 4k Media Player with mpeg2 support profile (roku4kmpm2) as a starting point for a customized user-profile entry.
The only thing I had to do was a last-ditch transcode for audio when a Dolby Atmos "a_eac3" codec was being used. MediaInfo reported it as a_eac3, I just put in a check for eac3 since a_eac3 was invalid and that got the audio working. So just adding this after the other transcode checks:

I had to do the same thing for an old Sony blu-ray player that I've been using as a DLNA client because it's surprisingly compatible. The Roku handled h265 video without a problem, no transcoding needed.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:22 pm

Correct, I wrote the Roku player profiles with the expectation that the Roku would be connected to something that supports EAC-3 audio, either an AVR or supporting TV. I didn't include that matches in the Roku TV profile either. Perhaps I should add it there as well.

For your Express 4K Roku, a better profile choice would be "Roku 4K Media Player w/MPEG2", as your player supports MPEG-2 video. I believe I will work on those profiles, as to my knowledge all 4K Roku players support MPEG-2 video now, so it's redundant to have the two separate profiles.
Dan

Return to Transcoding