FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Remuxing the TS container using HLS

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:44 pm

Remuxing the TS container using HLS

Zip, I am trying to work around the failure of Roku to fix their playback issue with media in a TS/M2TS container. All Roku devices will play this container (assuming the codecs are supported) natively, but they have no trick play functionality, including just pausing the playback. I expected a simple remux capture would work, like this:
  Code:
<Video targetContainer="applehttp" >
   <Matches container="mpegts"  />
</Video>

But I get this error in the log for every file that meets this Matches:
  Code:
Cannot get media info for transcoded file "The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (1964).ts": AppleHttp video file The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (1964).ts does not match any supported DLNA profile

The video in question still appears in the Roku player, but it is not being remuxed and returns an error if playback is attempted. If I add a target vCodec of H.264, it works fine (although I lose my captions), but that puts a transcoding load on the server when the player is capable of supporting the MPEG2 or H.264 video codec already used within the container.

Most of my files in this container are OTA recordings with MPEG2 video and AC3 audio. I'm at a loss as to why this isn't working. I have to use AppleHTTP, as it's the only container that allows the Roku to retain trick play features.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:50 am

Re: Remuxing the TS container using HLS

so the applehttp format currently only supports h264/h264 for video, and AAC, AC3, MP3 for audio.

According to https://www.dacast.com/blog/hls-streami ... 5%20codecs it's correct and HLS supports only those 2 video codecs.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:21 pm

Re: Remuxing the TS container using HLS

OK, thanks. I guess there's no good workaround for the Roku issue then. Rats. I could save the media in the MKV container when I edit out the commercials, but VideoReDo loses the captions when I do that, so that's out as well. Since I also have the Nvidia Shield for playback, it's not a deal breaker for me. I was just trying to improve the Roku profiles you include with Serviio to get around the Roku issue. Guess I'll keep hammering on Roku to fix their player.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Transcoding