FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

HEIC to JPEG transcoding

<<

St3ll4rm4n

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:14 pm

HEIC to JPEG transcoding

Hi Folks,

I have multiple images in HEIC format coming from my family iPhones and generally Apple environment. Since this is well widely used format together with HEIF I wanted to use user-profiles.xml profile to transcode HEIC images to JPEG.

This is needed as my Samsung TV doesn't support HEIC files (while still support HEIF).

Apparently I can't use <Image> tags as server complains that it supports only jpeg and raw files as an input match section.

Can someone help my how I can achieve that.

Thanks,
S.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:09 pm

Re: HEIC to JPEG transcoding

The following is all that Serviio offers for image transcoding. This is a copy/paste from the transcoding support page:

Image transcoding
Image - defines image transcoding definitions; can be one or more, with the elements order being taken in consideration (the first definition that matches a file is used)

Attributes:

forceInheritance - optional; defines whether this transcoding configuration is inherited by child profile

Matches - specifies which media files will fall into a transcoding configuration and will therefore be processed by the transcoding engine; can be one or more, with the elements order being taken in consideration (the first matcher that fits a file is used)

Attributes:

container - compulsory; name of container; possible values: jpeg, raw
subsampling - optional; chroma subsampling; possible values: YUV444, YUV422, YUV420, YUV411

As you mentioned, the only matching attributes are JPEG and RAW. I did a quick search through the Profiles.xml file, and can find no examples that can do anything else with files in your format. I'm afraid your only option is to convert your images using a 3rd party program to JPEG images. The Serviio developer (Zip) is Apple-savvy, but there might be some technical reason he doesn't have this ability within Serviio.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Transcoding