FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

chart container & codec's in order of quality and cpu usage

<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:38 pm

chart container & codec's in order of quality and cpu usage

Anyone able to tell me the order of containers and codec's that produces the highest to lowest transcoded quality and the lowest to highest CPU usage.

I am working on a program that will create a transcoding profile based on what containers and codec's a render will support. I am going to have it select the container and codec's that give the best quality that the render will play with the lowest cpu usage.
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: chart container & codec's in order of quality and cpu us

moltra wrote:Anyone able to tell me the order of containers and codec's that produces the highest to lowest transcoded quality and the lowest to highest CPU usage.

From my point of view, containers have no impact on quality, only codecs.

For CPU usage
Serviio only support following containers: asf, mpeg (MPEG2PS), mpegts (MPEG2TS)
Serviio only support following transcoding codecs: mpeg2video (MPEG2), wmv2 (WMV9)
You could probably make some samples to compare CPU usage
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator

Return to Transcoding