FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

FFMPEG Args

<<

liamh

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:11 pm

FFMPEG Args

Hi.
First, serviio is by far the best UPnp Media server I have seen. It feels so complete and clean. I have been through fuppes, mt and twonky - each does something stupid in some important area (I don't know if anyone knows that fuppes transcoding is totally broken - I wasted a day tracing the code back only to find it was not worth repairing :(), anyway...

Can I pass custom arguments to ffmpeg from serviio?

I have some mpegts straight off DVB-T and the shows that are 4:3 look silly on my Xbox.
I wanted to get ff to -s(cale) some of the videos??

If I cant pass args, can I ask how serviio invokes ff? Would it be worth the effort of writing a little script to translate and pass the arguments (pretend to be ffmpeg)?
I have had a look at what serviio calls ff with (and I havnt investigated properly yet) does serviio kill ff with a signal or something or does it press "q" if you get me?

Sorry if something like this has been asked somewhere else, I looked around and couldn't see anything.

Thanks for your hard work, serviio has made my week.

Liam
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: FFMPEG Args

you'll see the command when you enable debug logging. You can also change ffmpeg location by passing

Code:
-Dffmpeg.location=<ffmpeg location>

as a Java parameter (more details here: http://www.serviio.org/component/content/article/21#q3 )
<<

knitd

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:29 pm

First of all: Thank you for your great work! Serviio is by far the best DLNA-server I ran over !!!

But it would be great if I could add custom arguments for the transcoder (ffmpeg) to the profiles.xml. I have some videos that I need to scale (change aspect ratio) before streaming to the TV.
<<

zip

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:30 pm

Is that something that could be determined by Serviio and set as a setting on the transcoding config for a profile? i.e. can you tell it needs to be scaled from a ffmpeg -i command?
<<

knitd

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:37 pm

I think a ffmpeg -i command can tell when to scale and when not to scale (but I'm not 100% sure - I'm far from being a pro in video editing).

I'll describe my problem: I get my files from onlinetvrecorder.com - they encode widescreen shows at 720x480 pixels with a DAR (display aspect ratio) of 16:9. Unfortunately my Samsung LCD TV doesn't take the DAR into account when playing the videos, so they are played with a wrong aspect ratio.

Here is what ffmpeg -i tells me about the video stream of such a file:
  Code:
Stream #0.0(eng): Video: h264, yuv420p, 720x480, PAR 32:27 DAR 16:9, 29.97 tbr, 30k tbn, 60k tbc

It would be very cool if I could tell Serviio in the profiles.xml to scale every file such that the PAR is 1:1 (if it isn't 1:1 already).
<<

zip

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:49 pm

Will see what I can do ;-)

http://bitbucket.org/xnejp03/serviio/is ... -of-videos

It's be cool if you could upload such file (only a very short one, few MBs) so that I can test it. Send me PM with the location.

Return to Transcoding