FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Several profiles for the same device?

<<

jalla

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:54 pm

Several profiles for the same device?

Hello

I'm a total newbie to Serviio, and this is my first post to the forum so bear with me.

What I'm aiming to setup is transcoding rules for a HTC android phone with two different sceanarios

1) when I connect from my local wifi, mpeg2 and audio should be streamed directly. Any h.264 (mkv,avi,mp4) should be transcoded. A suitable ffmpeg command would be something like this

Code:
ffmpeg -i INPUT -ac 2 -ab 256k -vcodec mpeg2video -s 800x480 -b 10000k -y -f mpegts OUTPUT

2) When I connect over WAN (I've setup http://bebopfreak.wordpress.com/upnplayer/ on the phone), I basically want to transcode everything with a much lower bitrate (i.e. maximum 1000kbs).

A gather this is possible, as I see on the features page that per-IP profiles are supported?

Any hints on how I can accomplish this?
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:08 pm

Re: Several profiles for the same device?

Do you want help writing the profiles, assigning them, or connecting to serviio via the internet?

To connect to serviio via the internet you would need to have a VPN server (which supports forwarding multicast packets) running on your home network, this will hand out IP addresses that you tell it to, so assign your profile that transcodes to a low bitrate to that IP and the normal profile to your device's IP given out by your router, this can be done via the console/ServiiDroid or any of the webuis.

As for the profile, what do you have so far?
Will

ServiiDroid (Android Console) Developer: Download | Home | Support
ServiiGo (Android 3G/4G/WiFi Playback App) Developer: Download | Home | Support
<<

jalla

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:57 pm

Basically I have nothing WRT profiles yet. I installed a couple of hours ago and am just barely done adding my media in the console (where Serviio, BTW, did a terrific job of finding extensive metadata info for all my material).

I know the mechanics of accessing the server from WAN, I have that stuff working with MediaTomb at the present.

At the moment I'm hunting around the forum and wiki, trying to find a good example of a profile for android to work from. In particular I'm looking for how to identify my device and be able to discriminate on ip-address
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:28 pm

You can only assign a profile per IP in the console, not in the profile itself. You can auto-assign profiles with a help of http header (if you can pass the web access requests through a proxy which would add those)
<<

jalla

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:18 pm

Thanks for the info.

So, having an ssh tunnel to my home network, and necessary port forwarding in place, I could control this from the serviidroid app from whereever I happen to be?
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:23 pm

jalla wrote:Thanks for the info.

So, having an ssh tunnel to my home network, and necessary port forwarding in place, I could control this from the serviidroid app from whereever I happen to be?

I think a couple of people have gotten it to work that way.
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:05 pm

ServiiDroid just uses standard http GET PUT and POST requests over port 23423 so as long as that is forwarded by your router, or over an ssh tunnel, or your connected to a VPN then you can use ServiiDroid remotely. (I did extensive testing over 2G/3G as it was a great way to make sure the app delt with network delays/errors)
Will

ServiiDroid (Android Console) Developer: Download | Home | Support
ServiiGo (Android 3G/4G/WiFi Playback App) Developer: Download | Home | Support
<<

jalla

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Thanks, it works fine to switch between suitable profiles from the ServiiDroid app :D

Return to Transcoding