FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

transcode DTS to ac3 simple profile with video passthru

<<

ansonkemp

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:27 pm

transcode DTS to ac3 simple profile with video passthru

I am using this simple profile for streaming to my cable box: a Netgem N8200. It suppoerts the following audio/video codecs, but not DTS.

AUDIO / VIDEO
Resolution: up to 1920x1080p at 50/60Hz
Video decoder:MPEG-4.10/H264, MPEG-2, VC- 1,WMV9
 Audio decoder: MPEG-4 AAC, MPEG-1/2 layer I/II/III, WMA9, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital+ Audio pass through: direct output on SPDIF
Audio downmix: Multichannel to stereo

The following profile simply converts all MKV containers to mpegts containers (passthru of the video without transcoding) and only transcodes DTS(dca) to ac3. It works very well for this purpose and is less CPU intensive than transcoding the video as well as the audio.

Code:
<Profile id="8000" name="8000 " extendsProfileId="1">
    <Detection>
    <HttpHeaders>
    <X-AV-Client-Info>.*8000.*</X-AV-Client-Info>
    </HttpHeaders>
    <UPnPSearch>
    <ModelName> 8000 </ModelName>
    </UPnPSearch>
    </Detection>
    <Transcoding>
    <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3">
    <Matches container="*" aCodec="dca" />
    </Video>
    </Transcoding>
    </Profile>

However some of my videos have two audio codecs supported (ie. "DTS" as well as "ac3") but this profile automtically transcodes them when it sees the DTS codec regardless of the fact it has an alternate ac3 codec embedded in the container as well. How would I modify this profile so that it searched the MKV container to see if it has an alternate ac3 audio stream and used it rather than immediately transcoding at the first sign of DTS?
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:42 pm

Re: transcode DTS to ac3 simple profile with video passthru

The ordering of rules is important so you could look for ac3 first and either re-package it into mpegts, or if the xml schema will allow it, do nothing. This will then catch all videos that contain ac3 before the dca rules are matched. e.g.

Should work, but less ideal (to reduce hits on the first, rule try changing container/vCodec to better reflect the videos that might have ac3 and dca)
  Code:
<Video targetContainer="mpegts">
    <Matches container="*" aCodec="ac3" />
</Video>
</Video>

Might work, but not sure
  Code:
<Video>
</Video>
</Video>

There is probably a nicer way of doing this though.
Will

ServiiDroid (Android Console) Developer: Download | Home | Support
ServiiGo (Android 3G/4G/WiFi Playback App) Developer: Download | Home | Support
<<

ansonkemp

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:21 pm

The following code does seem to work, but I still am unable to seek or fast forward through the video I assume because it still has to change the container from "mkv" to "mpegts".
  Code:
<Video targetContainer="mpegts">
</Video>
</Video>

I am looking for a solution that involves no transcoding or container changes, which will allow more fluid seeking and/or fast forward. The following code would seem to solve this problem as it doesn't ask Serviio to make a container change or treanscode the video or audio, but it is rejected as viable code by serviio.
  Code:
<Video>
</Video>
</Video>

Any other suggestions to force serviio to choose the embedded ac3 audio stream rather than the embedded dts stream which Serviio seems to default to?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:06 pm

ansonkemp wrote:Any other suggestions to force serviio to choose the embedded ac3 audio stream rather than the embedded dts stream which Serviio seems to default to?

No, only manually change the order in the file.
<<

chrismallia

Serviio lover

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:50 am

ansonkemp wrote:I am using this simple profile for streaming to my cable box: a Netgem N8200. It suppoerts the following audio/video codecs, but not DTS.

AUDIO / VIDEO
 Audio decoder: MPEG-4 AAC, MPEG-1/2 layer I/II/III, WMA9, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital+ Audio pass through: direct output on SPDIF

The following profile simply converts all MKV containers to mpegts containers (passthru of the video without transcoding) and only transcodes DTS(dca) to ac3. It works very well for this purpose and is less CPU intensive than transcoding the video as well as the audio.

Code:
    <Detection>
    <HttpHeaders>
    </HttpHeaders>
    <UPnPSearch>
    </UPnPSearch>
    </Detection>
    <Transcoding>
    </Video>
    </Transcoding>
    </Profile>

However some of my videos have two audio codecs supported (ie. "DTS" as well as "ac3") but this profile automtically transcodes them when it sees the DTS codec regardless of the fact it has an alternate ac3 codec embedded in the container as well. How would I modify this profile so that it searched the MKV container to see if it has an alternate ac3 audio stream and used it rather than immediately transcoding at the first sign of DTS?

I used this profile you listed for my netbox works nice. The only small problem is the skip it does not skip back and skip fw is not smooth
server running serviio PRO and media browser Intel dual core g2030 3.0Ghz 8gb dd3 ram Microsoft windows server 2012 gigabit network . Devices Sony KDL55W805A, ps3, 2 sony bravia 2011, 5 android devices 2 of them samsung galaxy s3 running bubble upnp and serviigo, netgem netbox , 2 laptops XBMC windows 8
<<

cara

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:16 am

chrismallia wrote:
ansonkemp wrote:I am using this simple profile for streaming to my cable box: a Netgem N8200. It suppoerts the following audio/video codecs, but not DTS.

AUDIO / VIDEO

The following profile simply converts all MKV containers to mpegts containers (passthru of the video without transcoding) and only transcodes DTS(dca) to ac3. It works very well for this purpose and is less CPU intensive than transcoding the video as well as the audio. melon playground

Code:
    <Detection>
    <HttpHeaders>
    </HttpHeaders>
    <UPnPSearch>
    </UPnPSearch>
    </Detection>
    <Transcoding>
    </Video>
    </Transcoding>
    </Profile>

I used this profile you listed for my netbox works nice. The only small problem is the skip it does not skip back and skip fw is not smooth

I also used this config to submit my network and didn't get the same error as yours.

Return to Transcoding