FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

SSDP packets are out of control - Rogers (my ISP)

<<

Devil

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:14 pm

SSDP packets are out of control - Rogers (my ISP)

Hi guys,

I have a Sony TV (KDL50W790B) and I run Serviio from my wirelessly connected Macbook Pro.

Problem is, sometimes Serviio shows up as a media server on the Sony and sometimes not. Until one day, it didn't show up no matter what I did. I resorted to going into the Router (provided by ISP) and created a Port Forwarding rule.

This, apparently opened up a flood of SSDP packets going out into the network of my ISP. They threatened to suspend my internet connection till I can resolve it.

Now, Serviio says to open the ports in the firewall but now I have this ISP problem going on. Is there a fix which will allow me to keep this SSDP party inside the network?

I only turn on the Serviio console when I need to stream video files to the Sony and then shut it down.
Assistance would be great!
Thanks guys!
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:22 pm

Re: SSDP packets are out of control - Rogers (my ISP)

You need to ensure port 8895 is not being blocked by your firewall.

You have created a port forwarding rule which is something completely different. This is not needed and should be removed - that will fix your issue with your ISP (I'm surprised it would cause this, but anyway, it's not needed so remove it).

Port forwarding is only required for traffic from the Internet, and will have no bearing on whether your devices are detected on your LAN. Turn off your Windows firewall if windows, or whatever other firewalls are in use on your server and see if that helps - that will tell you if it's firewall related.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

Devil

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:38 pm

DenyAll wrote:You need to ensure port 8895 is not being blocked by your firewall.

You have created a port forwarding rule which is something completely different. This is not needed and should be removed - that will fix your issue with your ISP (I'm surprised it would cause this, but anyway, it's not needed so remove it).

Port forwarding is only required for traffic from the Internet, and will have no bearing on whether your devices are detected on your LAN. Turn off your Windows firewall if windows, or whatever other firewalls are in use on your server and see if that helps - that will tell you if it's firewall related.

Thanks!
Serviio runs on my Macbook. There's no firewall on my Macbook's WiFi connection. Thing is, after adding the Port Forwarding, it worked. I've removed it for now...
<<

Devil

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Alright, did what you asked but it was a problem still.
This time I got more details.
The UPnP version that's vulnerable to this "attack" is v1.

Also, 8895 is sending packets out of my network and I haven't been able to figure out how to stop it.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:56 pm

Some weird stuff happening here. I would (or get my ISP to do) factory reset the router and start again, and/or a firmware upgrade on the router.

Ps Serviio does not issue a upnp port request for port 8895. Could be something else doing it.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

Devil

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:56 pm

DenyAll wrote:Some weird stuff happening here. I would (or get my ISP to do) factory reset the router and start again, and/or a firmware upgrade on the router.

Ps Serviio does not issue a upnp port request for port 8895. Could be something else doing it.

Their system identified who is using the port: :(

Code:
SYSTIME: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 09:00:49 GMT
   CACHE_CONTROL: max-age = 1800
   LOCATION: http://192.168.0.13:8895/deviceDescription/dbda6698-2372-39e4-98c5-15b528e7d81f
   SERVER: Mac OS X, UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50, Serviio/1.5
   SEARCH_TARGET: upnp:rootdevice
   UNIQUE_SERVICE_NAME: uuid:dbda6698-2372-39e4-98c5-15b528e7d81f::upnp:rootdevice
   NAICS: 518210
   SIC: 737415
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:13 am

Still weird.... these packets should never make there way to your ISP. My point above was not to say that the packets weren't coming from Serviio, but rather that Serviio doesn't open port 8895 via upnp.

What packets get to the internet and what is kept on the LAN is controlled by your router. There must be an open port on your router allowing this traffic through (it could be either a port forward, a port trigger, a DMZ set up, the router is in bridge mode, or another application is opening the port via UPNP)... hence I still think factory resetting it is the way to go. This will clear any port forwards etc that may be inadvertently coming into play. Unfortunately it wont fix a UPNP port request from an application if that's the cause, so you may need to disable that.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

Devil

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:16 am

Ah I see your point. Going to backup router settings and then do it, or all devices will need to be reset again :(

Return to Sony