FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Suggest future DLNA features for Sony devices

<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:07 pm

Suggest future DLNA features for Sony devices

I have been in contact with some cool people from Sony UK and they would really like to know what features you are missing and/or what you'd like to see improved. I will be sending a 'feature request' for them in a week or so (10th Feb) and it'd bee cool if you guys added your two cents. This list might go all the way to the top men in Tokyo so make it count.

So far I have:
  • external subtitles support (srt, sub, etc)
  • video thumbnails for Sony BD players
  • additional metadata display (e.g. plot summary, actors, genre)
  • support of more formats (you can specify what exactly is missing)
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: Suggest future DLNA features for Sony devices

Zip, you are a king !!!!
See my list for Christmas ( I 'll probably edit this list, its a draft ):

Sony BDP:
- Thumbnail artwork support for media other than photos using the JPEG_TN resource and others (PNG_TN, etc)
- Subtitle support in MPEG Program Stream (VOB) (if possible?)
- SRT subtitle file support.
- Why S370's DLNA player send all the videos a frequency of 60Hz to TV, although source video was shot in a frequency of 50Hz or 25Hz ?
- Inclusion of DLNA DMR support so that the device can function as a DLNA Renderer, not just a DLNA Player
- Why MKV use 32KB chunks size?

Sony Bravia TV
- Thumbnail artwork support using other resource format (PNG_TN, etc)
- Subtitle support in MPEG Program Stream (VOB)
- Subtitle support in MPEG Transport Stream
- Alternative audio tracks mostly don't seem to work over DLNA
- Enable .mkv .avi and .mp4 support over DLNA
- Audio "pass through", for DTS or TrueHD audio codec. In fact Sony Bravia didn't support DTS or TrueHD audio codec, but they could pass through for an Audio Video Receiver (AVR) to decode them.The only codec that Sony Bravia TV pass through the external numeric audio interface were LPCM and Dolby Digital.

others:
- Support for NTFS files through USB
- Allow navigation through the DLNA music tree whilst continuing to play the existing track.
- Would be great to allow creation of playlists (locally) or at a minimum a local play queue.
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

bennybuche

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:36 pm

I don't know if this is relevant in this topic but functionnal fast forward end rewind functions would be nice.
Also It would be more efficient to navigate into subfolders; for now, I'm forced to share (in the console) every single folder I want to appear in the list :(
Serviio 0.5.2 - Sony TV KDL-46HX800 - Sony Bravia Tv profile - Ethernet via PLC (Devolo) - Windows XP SP3
<<

zip

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:47 pm

bennybuche wrote:Also It would be more efficient to navigate into subfolders; for now, I'm forced to share (in the console) every single folder I want to appear in the list :(

You can share the root folder now, no problem. You can then navigate to them via Folders category or you can even mark Folders as 'Content only' category so that the folders appear in the root menu.
<<

nzitr

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:17 am

This is a pretty good list!
Illico wrote:Sony BDP:
- Thumbnail artwork support for media other than photos using the JPEG_TN resource and others (PNG_TN, etc)
- Subtitle support in MPEG Program Stream (VOB) (if possible?)
- Why S370's DLNA player send all the videos a frequency of 60Hz to TV, although source video was shot in a frequency of 50Hz or 25Hz ?
- Inclusion of DLNA DMR support so that the device can function as a DLNA Renderer, not just a DLNA Player
- Why MKV use 32KB chunks size?

I take it the MKV 32KB chunk size issue is the reason that we can't play moderate bit rate MKV files? Number 1 on my list would be to provide full MKV functionality (FF/Rew/prev/next chapter) without any artificial bit rate restriction.
<<

Zek

Serviio lover

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:57 pm

That is awesome Zip.

I would say similar:
1. Full MKV support (FF/REV/Chapters etc)
2. Subtitle support (BluRay's PGS mostly for me)
3. Multi track audio support. Switch between audio tracks.

In short, make Matroska work fully with seeking, selectable subtitles and selectable audio tracks in a single container.

Cheers,
Zek
Sony Bravia KDL-55NX810 | Serviio 0.5 (rev. 975aa458693c) | Synology DS-1010+
<<

bogdan

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:24 pm

Hello to all!

I didn't found a place to place my post better than this. So...

I have a Sony Bravia KDL32-EX500 and I love the Serviio Media Server. However I couldn't find how to make subtitles to be loaded while playing movies from the storage through my TV.

Is the subtitle feature available for Sony Bravia? If it is how can I manage to display them? (can't find in Serviio console)
If it isn't available, when do you think that will be available?

Thanks a lot!
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:34 pm

bogdan, this is not a good place to post, please create another topic...
For your question read the entire first post of this topic and look at FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=425
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
<<

wdata

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:44 pm

Let me add my five cents (or if we're talking about UK version, my five pennies :) )
Not quite DLNA feature, but would be nice if Sony implements the Header removal compression support. I hit that couple of times with my BDP-S370...
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/faq.html#header_removal_compression
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:48 pm

It's great that they're reaching out to you like this Zip, but did they give any indication of whether any improvements could be made to existing product firmwares? Back in November I made some recommendations to Sony via their consumer forums which were well received but apparently they were only likely to be taken into consideration for the 2012 products.

The lack of support for JPEG_TN resources for anything other than photos is really bonkers, considering the code is in the firmware already.
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

zip

Post Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:54 pm

I'm not sure it anything we come up with will make it into existing products, I will try to make a point about that.
<<

mustafacat

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:02 pm

subtitles are really important to us. one more thing. I'm from sudan, some of my files on the computer are written in arabic language, I can't see their names on the server, not on my bravia nor on BDP. the bravia supports arabic language though !!! why is that???
also when I check my facebook or twitter through the widget on my bravia. it appears as squares only .!! very silly mistake from sony !!
can you convey these complains to them?? please !
Sony Bravia 3D KDL40NX710 - Sony BDP S470 - Sony Home theatre 5.1. Running Servio 1.2.1 on hp Pavilion ee 1225 through a wired connection.
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:25 am

So did you have the meeting yet Zip?
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

zip

Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:30 am

The features have been sent to Sony, awaiting feedback and will report here.
<<

kot

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:08 am

How about a fix for the firmware crashing, when playing a 1920x1080 video file? As reported already, my TV shows a jerky video for a few minutes and then crashes/reboots, when trying to play a high-resolution stream...

Or were they only interested in features? :)
FreeBSD port of Serviio is now in the tree. Please, try using it and share your experience.
<<

gerryb

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:52 pm

I have a BDP-57X and would like to shuffle or randomize songs inside a particular folder. I understand that this is not something that Serviio can address, so maybe Sony can??
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:52 pm

gerryb wrote:I have a BDP-57X and would like to shuffle or randomize songs inside a particular folder. I understand that this is not something that Serviio can address, so maybe Sony can??

Sony Bravia already have a random option: Select Audio Folder -> Options button -> Read Options -> Random -> Yes
Illico
<<

gerryb

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:20 pm

Illico wrote:
gerryb wrote:I have a BDP-57X and would like to shuffle or randomize songs inside a particular folder. I understand that this is not something that Serviio can address, so maybe Sony can??

Sony Bravia already have a random option: Select Audio Folder -> Options button -> Read Options -> Random -> Yes

I don't have a Bravia TV.

The suggested path does not exist on my BDP-57X: I have: Select Audio Folder -> Options button -> Play. Play is the only option. Have never seen "Read Options" on my player.
<<

guitman

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:15 pm

When I start playing a song from my media server music library on my TV or PS3, and then want to search for a new album/song, I must stop the music to browse my library. It would be nice to be able to browse the music libraries whilst the music still plays. This is a feature that is supported on the XBox.
<<

bendersboink

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:52 am

Might have missed the boat on this one, but one thing that really annoys me is that when choosing movies from the X-Bar,you then have to choose videos, then navigate down to folders,etc. It would be much nicer to (or at least have the option) go straight to the folder list of movies. Same with audio... Also hide the rest of the options - why are images/audio shown when selecting video???

Yep - get thumbnails sorted... that is high on the list.

These are probably stuff for Sony - but I'm glad you are talking up the fight...
Next

Return to Sony