FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

PS4 media player support

<<

Nutte

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:21 am

PS4 media player support

The PS4 media player is live and it's pretty good. The video player is super-fast and smooth, but it of course doesn't support all codecs you would like.

So, I hereby request a Serviio config file for PS4. 8-)

Example of list of supported codecs:
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/201 ... s-tonight/

Not sure what they've done with the picture viewer though, as I much prefer the smoothness of the PS3 version. Besides being generally slow, it also sounds like it's writing to the hard drive all the time. Well, very happy to finally have DLNA on my PS4 and I guess video is #1 priority.

Oh, and let's hope Sony finally releases a media remote for the PS4, or just a "fix" so the PS3 version will work.
<<

teflontacticss

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:21 pm

Re: PS4 media player support

Serviio also seems to have an issue with the PS4 media player, as it doesn't want to keep running after an error occurs in the media. On PS3 if an error occurred it picked right back up, on PS4 if the media freezes the router won't recognize the server program anymore and requires a reset (tried on both my Rogers router, and my D-Link with the same result).

But yeah, a proper profile would be nice.
<<

Nutte

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:13 am

teflontacticss wrote:Serviio also seems to have an issue with the PS4 media player, as it doesn't want to keep running after an error occurs in the media. On PS3 if an error occurred it picked right back up, on PS4 if the media freezes the router won't recognize the server program anymore and requires a reset (tried on both my Rogers router, and my D-Link with the same result).

I don't recall having that issue. I tried multiple files that refused to play, but I had no problem playing working files after that.
<<

teflontacticss

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:54 am

Nutte wrote:
teflontacticss wrote:Serviio also seems to have an issue with the PS4 media player, as it doesn't want to keep running after an error occurs in the media. On PS3 if an error occurred it picked right back up, on PS4 if the media freezes the router won't recognize the server program anymore and requires a reset (tried on both my Rogers router, and my D-Link with the same result).

I don't recall having that issue. I tried multiple files that refused to play, but I had no problem playing working files after that.

I've been using it non-stop since release and it's happened to me three times so far across a mix of content (once on a MKV, twice on an MP4, and all three times on different resolutions). I've been looking for a common denominator, but it seems that even a router swap hasn't fixed it - so I'm running out of ideas.

It only happens with the PS4 media player app running, but effects the entirety of the file-serving (causing the server not to be recognized on any device without a router reset).
<<

bairfanx

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:59 am

So, I just went to download and install Serviio to make use of it with the PS4 media player, and despite following the directions and adding folders to my library for access, nothing shows up in the media player under any of the categories. I'm on a mac and have Serviio 1.5.2, and have no idea why things aren't showing up.
<<

teflontacticss

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:38 am

bairfanx wrote:So, I just went to download and install Serviio to make use of it with the PS4 media player, and despite following the directions and adding folders to my library for access, nothing shows up in the media player under any of the categories. I'm on a mac and have Serviio 1.5.2, and have no idea why things aren't showing up.

Try two things; reset your router (you can just unplug/plug back in if you're unsure how) and make sure your media is compatible (AVIs don't even show up for me).

Edit - I've compiled a PS4 profile from a PS3 profile, simply tweaking it until everything ran (though it's also been tailored to my network connection quality and throughput). I'm posting it here however in case anyone can improve native play functions with tweaks/proper profile references, or wants to tweak it to their own network (or whatever - you can use it as if if you want!)

Code:
<Profile id="3" name="PlayStation 4" extendsProfileId="1">
      <MediaFormatProfiles>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/x-ms-wmv">VC1_ASF_AP_L1_WMA</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/x-ms-wmv">VC1_ASF_AP_L2_WMA</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/x-ms-wmv">VC1_ASF_AP_L3_WMA</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/mp4" name="">MPEG4_P2_MP4_ASP_AAC</MediaFormatProfile>
      </MediaFormatProfiles>
      <Transcoding>
         <!-- Transcode all h264 video with HIGH/MAIN > Level 4.2 on MPEG-TS stream with MPEG2VIDEO and ac3 audio transcoding -->
         <Video targetContainer="m2ts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="192" maxVBitrate="7000" forceStereo="true" aSamplerate="48000">
            <Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="high" levelGreaterThan="4.2" />
            <Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="main" levelGreaterThan="4.2" />
            <Matches container="avi" />
            <Matches container="*" vCodec="h265" />
         </Video>
         <!--
            remux MKV with any video to MPEG2TS and possibly change audio to ac3, also AVI and FLV with H264
         -->
         <Video targetContainer="m2ts" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="192" forceStereo="true" aSamplerate="48000" >
            <Matches container="avi" vCodec="h264" />
            <Matches container="flv" vCodec="h264" />
            <Matches container="3gp" vCodec="h264" />
         </Video>
         <Video targetContainer="m2ts" >
            <Matches container="wtv" />
            <Matches container="asf" vCodec="mpeg2video"/> <!--  dvr-ms -->            
         </Video>
         <!-- all other unplayable files just transcode to mpeg2 -->
         <Video targetContainer="m2ts" targetACodec="ac3" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" forceStereo="true" aBitrate="192" maxVBitrate= "7000" aSamplerate="48000">
            <Matches container="flv" />
            <Matches container="ogg" />
            <Matches container="3gp" />
            <Matches container="asf" vCodec="mpeg1video"/> <!--  dvr-ms -->
            <Matches container="asf" vCodec="vc1" aCodec="wmapro"/>
            <Matches container="asf" vCodec="wmv2"/>
            <Matches container="rm" />
         </Video>

<Audio targetContainer="lpcm" aSamplerate="48000">
            <Matches container="flac" />
            <Matches container="adts" />
            <Matches container="wavpack" />
            <Matches container="mp2" />
            <Matches container="mpc" />
               <Matches container="ape" />
         </Audio>
      </Transcoding>
      <OnlineTranscoding>
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384">
            <Matches container="mp4"/>               
             <Matches container="applehttp" vCodec="h264"/>
         </Video>
         <Video targetContainer="mpeg" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3">
            <Matches container="asf"/> <!-- to support mms:// streams -->
         </Video>
            <Matches container="mp3"/>
            <Matches container="flv"/>
            <Matches container="asf"/>
         </Audio>
      </OnlineTranscoding>
      <LimitImageResolution>false</LimitImageResolution>
      <AutomaticImageRotation>true</AutomaticImageRotation>
   </Profile>
<<

Fender_st

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:52 pm

teflontacticss wrote:
bairfanx wrote:So, I just went to download and install Serviio to make use of it with the PS4 media player, and despite following the directions and adding folders to my library for access, nothing shows up in the media player under any of the categories. I'm on a mac and have Serviio 1.5.2, and have no idea why things aren't showing up.

Edit - I've compiled a PS4 profile from a PS3 profile, simply tweaking it until everything ran (though it's also been tailored to my network connection quality and throughput). I'm posting it here however in case anyone can improve native play functions with tweaks/proper profile references, or wants to tweak it to their own network (or whatever - you can use it as if if you want!)

Code:
<Profile id="3" name="PlayStation 4" extendsProfileId="1">
      <MediaFormatProfiles>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/x-ms-wmv">VC1_ASF_AP_L1_WMA</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/x-ms-wmv">VC1_ASF_AP_L2_WMA</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/x-ms-wmv">VC1_ASF_AP_L3_WMA</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/mp4" name="">MPEG4_P2_MP4_ASP_AAC</MediaFormatProfile>
      </MediaFormatProfiles>
      <Transcoding>
         <!-- Transcode all h264 video with HIGH/MAIN > Level 4.2 on MPEG-TS stream with MPEG2VIDEO and ac3 audio transcoding -->
         <Video targetContainer="m2ts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="192" maxVBitrate="7000" forceStereo="true" aSamplerate="48000">
            <Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="high" levelGreaterThan="4.2" />
            <Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="main" levelGreaterThan="4.2" />
            <Matches container="avi" />
            <Matches container="*" vCodec="h265" />
         </Video>
         <!--
            remux MKV with any video to MPEG2TS and possibly change audio to ac3, also AVI and FLV with H264
         -->
         <Video targetContainer="m2ts" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="192" forceStereo="true" aSamplerate="48000" >
            <Matches container="avi" vCodec="h264" />
            <Matches container="flv" vCodec="h264" />
            <Matches container="3gp" vCodec="h264" />
         </Video>
         <Video targetContainer="m2ts" >
            <Matches container="wtv" />
            <Matches container="asf" vCodec="mpeg2video"/> <!--  dvr-ms -->            
         </Video>
         <!-- all other unplayable files just transcode to mpeg2 -->
         <Video targetContainer="m2ts" targetACodec="ac3" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" forceStereo="true" aBitrate="192" maxVBitrate= "7000" aSamplerate="48000">
            <Matches container="flv" />
            <Matches container="3gp" />
            <Matches container="asf" vCodec="mpeg1video"/> <!--  dvr-ms -->
            <Matches container="asf" vCodec="vc1" aCodec="wmapro"/>
            <Matches container="asf" vCodec="wmv2"/>
            <Matches container="rm" />
         </Video>

<Matches container="flac" />
            <Matches container="adts" />
            <Matches container="wavpack" />
            <Matches container="mp2" />
            <Matches container="mpc" />
               <Matches container="ape" />
         </Audio>
      </Transcoding>
      <OnlineTranscoding>
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384">
            <Matches container="mp4"/>               
             <Matches container="applehttp" vCodec="h264"/>
         </Video>
         <Video targetContainer="mpeg" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3">
            <Matches container="asf"/> <!-- to support mms:// streams -->
         </Video>
            <Matches container="mp3"/>
            <Matches container="flv"/>
            <Matches container="asf"/>
         </Audio>
      </OnlineTranscoding>
      <LimitImageResolution>false</LimitImageResolution>
      <AutomaticImageRotation>true</AutomaticImageRotation>
   </Profile>

Hello everyone,

thanx for your ps4 profile, unfortunately it doesn't work (serviio server doesn't run after windows login).

The other "dts fix" profile works smooth, but I'm looking for a good one to play mkv h265 encoded videos,cause I don't know how to create it.

Edit : on ps4 I have the infamous "disconnection after 30 minutes" issue. Still looking for a solution
<<

Nutte

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:46 pm

Yes! Finally a real remote to PS4 is on the way...
http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/21/pdp- ... ia-remote/

It's scheduled for October, so let's hope we have PS4 working with Serviio by then ;-)
<<

Nutte

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:34 am

The PS4 media remote is on its way and will arrive on Wednesday (10/21). I've waited for that since day 1.

Hasn't anyone taken the time to mess around with a PS4 profile?
It appears like the PS3 profile works fairly ok, but I assume things can be optimized quite a bit.
<<

UnicaFedeDal1908

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:15 am

any news about ps4 profile?
<<

xs2man

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:40 am

Would also like PS4 support. Absolutely fed up of the lack of DTS playback, so a transcoding profile would be great.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:01 am

I am trying to get this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20899#p105012 tested. Please test and let me know of any issues.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

Edpayasugo

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:10 pm

Can anyone tell me how to set up Serviio on my PS4 please? Thanks.

Return to Feature requests