FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Cant get access from internet

<<

kthon

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:20 am

Cant get access from internet

I can only access it in the local browser. I have port 23424 open and have even turned firewall off and still cant access my files online
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:17 am

Re: Cant get access from internet

To access from the internet, you need to forward a port in your router. There are two ways to do this:
  • Automatically using UPNP: on the remote tab tick the "Automatically configure your router..." option. Then press "Check connectivity status" - you should get a green tick; or
  • Manually: if the above doesn't work you need to manually forward port 23424 within your router. How you do this depends on your router (google is your friend, or let us know the router model). Once again press "Check connectivity status". You need that green tick before remote access will work.
A few things to note:
  • This is only available to Pro users or while your are in your Evaluation Period;
  • Check whether you can get access from another device on your local network first, if you cannot, it points to a firewall issue on your server (the PC Serviio is on).
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

kthon

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:33 pm

I have the brighthouse DG1670a arris rounter and a E1200 linksys wireless I set them both to DMZ and still cant access files from internet. Unless of course Im doing it wrong. Tried setting the brighthouse router to DMZ and forwarding port on wireless
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:32 pm

How are you attempting to connect from the Internet? Do you use a DDNS service, or use a static public IP address? Do you have a domain name (URL)?
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

kthon

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:07 pm

I have Dynamic ip address that rarely ever changes and once I got it working was going to get something like noip.com to make it static just to be sure
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:02 am

kthon wrote:I have Dynamic ip address that rarely ever changes and once I got it working was going to get something like noip.com to make it static just to be sure

Well, noip doesn't give you a static IP address. It just uses a program on your computer that detects when your address changes and updates the global DNS servers. I use DNSExit.com for the same thing. I suggest you get the dynamic DNS working first, then get your remote access set up and working. Just make sure your monitoring program is always running. For some reason mine didn't start up after a reboot and I couldn't reach my server on a trip out of town.

Once your DDNS is set up, then you should be able to connect to it from the Internet using http://whateveryourdnsnameis:23424/mediabrowser. Works fine for me.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:29 am

kthon wrote:I have the brighthouse DG1670a arris rounter and a E1200 linksys wireless I set them both to DMZ and still cant access files from internet. Unless of course Im doing it wrong. Tried setting the brighthouse router to DMZ and forwarding port on wireless
OK, poking holes (port forwarding) through back-to-back routers is always a PITA unless you really know what you're doing.

A few things:
  • Did you get the green tick? Until you do, no point worrying about dynamic DNS etc... it wont work;
  • Why have you two got routers? Is it needed? Is the Serviio server connected to the first router (the one connected to the internet) or the second?
  • If two are required (and assuming Serviio is connected to the second router) I'd recommend turning the second router into a switch - simple to do:
    • Turn off DHCP on the second router (it should be on for the first router);
    • Instead of cabling from the LAN port on the first router to the Internet (or WAN) port on the second router, cable from the LAN port on the first to one of the LAN ports on the second
    • Reboot the second router (so all connected devices get a new IP address). Make sure you can get to the internet from your PC that Serviio is on
Once this is done, you will only ever need to worry about port forwarding on the first router. You may even find the "Automatically using UPNP" option from my previous email works (it would never work if you have two routers in play), if not then manually forward the port on the first router only. Assuming it's the Arris then see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuEDQuIvhP0.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

kthon

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:58 am

the first router (arris) is the supplied router from bright-house and the linksys is my wireless router. The internet is wired into the first router and serviio runs off first router
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:07 pm

kthon wrote:the first router (arris) is the supplied router from bright-house and the linksys is my wireless router. The internet is wired into the first router and serviio runs off first router

I agree with DenyAll. Convert the second router into a Wireless Access Point and switch. I have two routers on my network set up the same way. I help a friend with a business for his computer stuff, and we have two routers like you describe. This is to allow customers to access Wi-Fi but to firewall off the business network. Port forwarding through multiple routers is difficult, and sometimes even with everything set correctly it still just won't work.

EDIT: I see the Serviio box is connected to the first router, so the second router shouldn't be an issue. Still, it's best to not have multiple routers on your network. You never know what interference might be caused. If the purpose of the second router is to provide Wi-Fi, then change it to WAP mode. Most routers allow this. Once you do, make sure you still use the "Internet" port to connect to your first router. This messed me up a little until I figured it out. :lol:
Dan

<<

kthon

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:57 pm

why doesnt enabling DMZ and unplugging the wireless router still not allow me to connect
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:30 am

I've never set up a DMZ, so I can't provide an opinion about it. There has to be a setting somewhere being overlooked.
Dan

<<

kthon

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:30 pm

well I cant figure it out, I set it up with one router, and opened 23424 and still nothing..turned off windows firewall, router firewall,nothing works. still cant access it from the net. Cant believe even the UPnp doesnt work. Buggie program with no support...figures
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:26 am

kthon wrote:well I cant figure it out, I set it up with one router, and opened 23424 and still nothing..turned off windows firewall, router firewall,nothing works. still cant access it from the net. Cant believe even the UPnp doesnt work. Buggie program with no support...figures

It's not a buggy program, and all things considered it has great support. As I said, it works fine when everything is configured correctly. Internet access is beyond DLNA functionality, and the fact that it includes a way to actually work outside the firewall is just icing on the cake.

uPnP itself is more buggy than I think it's worth. Auto-configuration of my router never worked, but that might be because it is a CenturyLink specific modem. I have had to manually configure my port forwarding, but I have a lot of networking experience, so it's not a problem for me.

What sort of URL are you using when connecting from outside your network? Please spell it out completely, but you can disguise your FQDN or IP address if you prefer not sharing that publicly. Just make sure the rest of the URL you use is there.

There's something we just haven't caught yet. Don't give up. :P
Dan

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:44 am

Kthon, I just did a quick search, and it seems a lot of people have had issues with getting port forwarding to work on the DG1670a. You might do some searching yourself, since I don't have the box and can't help with the panel settings. Don't know what they look like, so can't offer help with setting them.

It seems there was a bug in the Arris firmware. Might see if there's newer firmware. Not sure what version was the problem.
Dan

<<

kthon

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:31 pm

ya now im seeing the same posts with DG1670a troubles Ill look around see if I can figure it out
<<

kthon

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:40 am

Thanks...once I realized program isn't buggie and I was dealing with a garbage bright house modem I set it to bridged and now it works as promised.. Thanks!!!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:26 pm

kthon wrote:Thanks...once I realized program isn't buggie and I was dealing with a garbage bright house modem I set it to bridged and now it works as promised.. Thanks!!!

Yahoo! :lol:
Dan

Return to General discussion