FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Can no longer connect devices to Serviio server

<<

DrJay

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:14 pm

Can no longer connect devices to Serviio server

Hope someone can give me some guidance. I had been able to connect to the Serviio console until last week. I have two Sony Blu-ray players and a Samsung Smart TV. I could play all of my CBS programs through all of the devices. I upgraded to version 1.6 and now I can't connect to any of my devices. The console doesn't show any of the devices, and when I try to connect to Serviio on the Blu-ray players or the TV it says that the ip..... is not found. I even tried to uninstall 1.6 and go back to version 1.5.2 and still no luck. Obviously something has changed in my computer settings or U-verse router. I really miss not being able to go to the Serviio media server, but so far I haven't been able to figure out the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Jay
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:32 pm

Re: Can no longer connect devices to Serviio server

Can your devices connect to anything else, such as Netflix or YouTube? That would help eliminate a networking issue with the device.

If everything else works, then you need to look at the computer running Serviio. Almost sounds like something updated your firewall (assuming you have one running on your computer). Personally, I turn the firewall off on my Serviio computer, as it's inside my network and simplifies other computers accessing the folder shares (I use it as a network server as well). I am also assuming your Serviio computer can connect outside to the Internet as well.

Are any/all devices wired or wireless?
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

DrJay

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:10 pm

atc98092 wrote:Can your devices connect to anything else, such as Netflix or YouTube? That would help eliminate a networking issue with the device.

If everything else works, then you need to look at the computer running Serviio. Almost sounds like something updated your firewall (assuming you have one running on your computer). Personally, I turn the firewall off on my Serviio computer, as it's inside my network and simplifies other computers accessing the folder shares (I use it as a network server as well). I am also assuming your Serviio computer can connect outside to the Internet as well.

Are any/all devices wired or wireless?

The Blu-ray players and TVs all connect to the internet, Amazon, Crackle, etc with no problem. One TV (Vizio) and 1 Sony blu-ray is connected wirelessly and the other Samsung TV and Sony Blu-ray is wired. As I mentioned in my post, the only thing that is not connecting anymore to the serviio server from my computer. Could it be a Java problem? I think that may have updated around the time that this started happening. I tried turning off the firewall, but that didn't seem to help. The serviio computer does connect to the internet with no problem. The router is an AT&T -Uverse router, and occasionally I've noticed that the wireless connection is not connected (even though I can still connect to the internet on all devices anyway, including a Samsung Galaxy 4S). When I do connect the problem still exists. At the moment, serviio does not seem to see any of the devices when I look at the status. It's weird since last Tuesday morning everything worked fine, and Wednesday when I upgraded to the 1.6 version everything stopped working. When I go into the connection server settings in the Sony Blu-ray, it says it cannot connect and does not show an ip address for the Serviio server.

I appreciate your help. I won't be able to try anything until tomorrow morning (Chicago time). I can send the log file then if it helps.

Jay
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:38 pm

OK, let's try something else. First, if you're using Windows Serviio installed its own Java, so it doesn't matter what Java is on your computer already. If you are running Linux, then Java might be an issue.

Is your Serviio computer running a static IP address? If not, your computer might have changed its IP address but Serviio is still attempting to use the old one. In the Serviio console on the status panel, there is a box that allows choosing the IP address, and an auto section. I forget the precise wording and can't look since I'm not at home. Also, your log will indicate the IP address that Serviio is using. It will be at the beginning of the log during startup.

Make sure you are set to auto for the IP selection, then reboot the Serviio computer and make sure it is using the correct IP address. Consider assigning a static IP to it, as that ensures consistency.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

DrJay

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:34 pm

atc98092 wrote:OK, let's try something else. First, if you're using Windows Serviio installed its own Java, so it doesn't matter what Java is on your computer already. If you are running Linux, then Java might be an issue.

Is your Serviio computer running a static IP address? If not, your computer might have changed its IP address but Serviio is still attempting to use the old one. In the Serviio console on the status panel, there is a box that allows choosing the IP address, and an auto section. I forget the precise wording and can't look since I'm not at home. Also, your log will indicate the IP address that Serviio is using. It will be at the beginning of the log during startup.

Make sure you are set to auto for the IP selection, then reboot the Serviio computer and make sure it is using the correct IP address. Consider assigning a static IP to it, as that ensures consistency.

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. The bound ip address is set to automatically detected. The only other choice is the ethernet controller with the ip address that is in the serviio log, and I've tried that one as well. This is the ethernet controller that has the internet connection. There is also a DELL wireless WiFi network card, that does not connect to the internet and has no ip address assigned in the properties. I'm not sure how that figures in, but even if I get it to connect it has a limited connection and does not have an internet connection. I've restarted the U-Verse router and the computer, but still no connection for the TV or Blu-ray devices. I'm wondering if AT&T changed something ? They left a message last week that they would be upgrading (?) the system. I'm not technical enough to understand what settings need to be put in the network settings.

Jay
<<

Foosh

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:41 pm

I want to add my two cents to the discussion here. I too lost connectivity between my computer and Sony BVD Home Theater system after I "upgraded" to Servio 1.6. The one difference I have that is not discussed is I upgraded Servio in order to remote connect my Android (Samsung) phone. The phone connects to Servio just fine and streams video, but my home theater system no longer will. Prior to this my theater system was working fine. I tried all the suggestions and still no connectivity. I have not removed Servio from my phone to see if that changes anything.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:46 pm

Foosh wrote:I want to add my two cents to the discussion here. I too lost connectivity between my computer and Sony BVD Home Theater system after I "upgraded" to Servio 1.6. The one difference I have that is not discussed is I upgraded Servio in order to remote connect my Android (Samsung) phone. The phone connects to Servio just fine and streams video, but my home theater system no longer will. Prior to this my theater system was working fine. I tried all the suggestions and still no connectivity. I have not removed Servio from my phone to see if that changes anything.

My daughter is now having the same issue. We run Serviio and Plex on the same computer, and while Plex is visible Serviio is not showing. However, it's happening with both their Sony Home Theater system and their LG TV, so it's not specific to a Sony product. We had a mouse chew through the cat 5 cable that ran from the garage to the family room in the past, so maybe we're having cable issues again. I'll try to troubleshoot it some more this weekend. It certainly seems to be pointing to a networking issue, and not Serviio specific.
Dan

<<

Foosh

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:01 pm

I seem to have resolved my issues but in a very non-technical way.

One thing I was noticing with 1.6 is the Servio icon was not showing in the system tray when the server was supposed to be working. With prior versions, the Servio icon would be present in the tray when things were working properly. With 1.6, because I mainly loaded it to be able to remotely connect to my Android phone, the phone would connect and play movies, but the icon was not present in the tray. I can live without my phone playing movies!!

So, I downloaded version 1.5.2, removed 1.6, and reloaded 1.5.2 on my computer. On my home theater system, I had many instances of Servio connections--up to six. I removed all of those and did a reconnect to my network. With 1.5.2, the icon re-appeared in the system tray, and after a few minutes, my home theater system "found" Servio. Everything worked properly after that!!

Like I said, I don't know why 1.6 doesn't work like previous versions (techically), but it seems to work differently. I'm staying with the older version for now.

Foosh
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:45 pm

The tray icon was related to the Serviio console, not the service itself. If the console was closed (not minimized, which is all that happened when you clicked the X in the window corner), the service remained running and Serviio still worked. With 1.6, the console app has gone away, replaced by a web based console. Yes, Serviio still installs a console app, but it is only a Chrome wrapper to open the console web page. That's why there's no longer a tray icon. It had nothing to do with the Serviio service itself.

If 1.5.2 works for you, then by all means stick with it until some future version adds some functionality you need/want. :lol:

I'm unsure if there were back end changes to 1.6 that would alter its network visibility, but I doubt it. Other than the issue at my daughter's house, I've seen no such problem. I run Serviio on two different computers on my network, and they both appear and function without issue. One is for testing new versions, while the other remains on the latest public build. I had 1.6 on both for a while with no issues. However, I will caution that all my devices connect via Cat5, not Wi-Fi. Throwing wireless into the networking mix can open an opportunity for other settings to interfere.
Dan

<<

NuttBoxer

Serviio newbie

Post Sat May 07, 2016 3:06 am

I can confirm there is a WiFi issue with 1.6.2. I've been running Serviio for several years, and have always been able to restore connection issues in the past. With 1.6.2 there seems to be something blocking the Serviio DLNA communication. My setup is:
Ubuntu headless v14.04
Serviio v1.6.1
Sony Blu ray BDP-S3200
ATT Uverse Router/Modem 5031NV

I'm curious if this is somehow related to the trial of Pro, and goes away once the trial expires? I'll stick with 1.6.1 for a while and see what happens. I have tried bound IP, and Multicast, and opening prescribed ports on the router. None of these steps where ever needed in the past. Considering this is at least temporarily a PRO version, the dev's are not doing a good job of selling the system as I'm still seeing this several months after the thread was started.
<<

Ramrunner

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:18 am

I've just upgraded to 1.7.1 from 1.4 series on a Thecus NAS. Have also lost connectivity to multiple devices.

Something has definitely changed in the way the networking works I think.

A lot of devices are now not showing up (some are).

Jeez it would be good of DLNA just worked sometimes. Very Frustrating!

Will also be going back to old version methinks.
<<

travbrad

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:09 pm

I was having this problem with all my Sony blu-ray plyers lately and tried multiple versions of serviio which just kept introducing new problems or not fixing this particular problem. In the end I completely UNINSTALLED serviio from my PC then installed the latest one (1.8) from scratch. I then disconnected my Blu-ray players from the network, then reconnected them, and suddenly my new serviio server showed up. It took a couple minutes of "waiting for the media server to start" on the blu-ray players the first time, but I can now access/see the serviio server again. I did have to add my whole library back in again and re-upload my licence file (to become "pro" again) but if you've tried everything else it's worth a shot.

1.8 did introduce a new problem for me however. When transcoding video files it was transcoding the whole video file to my transcoding folder like it's supposed to but then as soon as it finished tramscoding it was deleting that folder and starting the transcode over, over and over. I replaced the included ffmpeg with the latest 64-bit ffmpeg and that problem was solved as well. For the first time in a couple months I finally have a serviio server that is working with all of my devices.

I hope a similar solution can help you. Good luck. :D

Instructions for using newer ffmpeg version can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4277

Return to Sony