Subtitles and Serviio - good but not enough

<<

TBD

Serviio newbie

Post Thu May 26, 2016 12:26 pm

Subtitles and Serviio - good but not enough

Hello,

I am new here. :)

First thank you for Serviio, I use this server and it's amazing but not enough... problem is with subtitles my device can read srt file for mp4,mkv,avi... video formats. But subtitles with Serviio not working when use mp4 or mkv format only with "Enabled burned-in subtitles" and I dont like it! My processors too HIGH and video freezing!

If device can use subtitles for all this format why Serviio can't use without "Enabled burned-in subtitles" and can use only for AVI format?

Thank you for answer ;)

And for GOD make PASSWORD for CONSOLE not only for MEDIA BROWSER! 8-)

Hint: Function adding users for Media Browser, that be cool. :idea:
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri May 27, 2016 5:12 am

Re: Subtitles and Serviio - good but not enough

What device have you got?
Which profile did you assign to that device?
What are the details of the MP4 and MKV files you have issues with (post MediaInfo details - see my sig block). MKV and MP4 are simply containers - they could contain multiple types of video and audio.
Have you tried playing these files with sub-titles via a USB stick?
Are the sub-titles embedded, or a separate file?
Is the subtitle file name the same as the media file name?

... in short, you need to provide more detail.

ps. I'm curious - if console is only available on your LAN (ie. within your house), why do you need a password? Do you have hostile elements on your LAN that want to maliciously change your Serviio configuration?
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

TBD

Serviio newbie

Post Sun May 29, 2016 3:52 pm

What device have you got? - I have WDTV Live.

What are the details of the MP4 and MKV files... - MP4 video codec H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part10) (avc1) and audio codec MPEG ACC Audio (mp4a).
MKV video codec H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part10) (avc1) and audio codec MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)
Have you tried playing these files with sub-titles via a USB stick? - Yes and works fine
Is the subtitle file name the same as the media file name? - Yes
Which profile did you assign to that device? - Profile is WDTV Live if you mean this (console)?

I just install Serviio and run, and server find my device automatically. Why I need password? Because when I start server I can connect to Console with public IP...

Type in browser http://pIP:23423/console/ and you are in... you can now shutdown server or delete Library or... :shock:
Attachments
serviio-status-screenshot.png
Serviio Status Screenshot
serviio-status-screenshot.png (45.06 KiB) Viewed 25881 times
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue May 31, 2016 6:41 am

The WDTV Live Profile should instruct Serviio to play these files natively, and serve up the sub-title file natively as well. After that its up to the device to play the subtitles.

So firstly, you need to confirm that both the media file and subtitle file are actually being served up natively. To do this, enable detailed logging (click on the link for how to do this), restart your PC and then play the file (ensure only the first check box is selected in the Subtitle options in Serviio Console). Post the detailed log here and we will have a look.

For the console password issue: Serviio does not open port 23423 in your router, and this is the only way access could be gained from the internet. Have you done this manually (manually forwarded the port, or enabled DMZ operation in your router??). Otherwise is something else triggering UPNP port forwarding (usually you can also see this in your router).
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

TBD

Serviio newbie

Post Tue May 31, 2016 1:32 pm

I don't use router. ;)
I try add subtitles with "OPTIONS" on WDTV remote controller but no subtitles there. (works only when enabled burned-in subtitles)

Here is configuration and log for Serviio.
Attachments
serviio.log
Serviio Debug Log File
(139.76 KiB) Downloaded 568 times
serviio-subtitles-screenshot.png
Serviio Subtitles Screenshot
serviio-subtitles-screenshot.png (51.03 KiB) Viewed 25848 times
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:09 am

I don't use router.
Well that would be the problem. You need to then bar this in your firewall (either windows firewall or if you are connected via a dedicated firewall, that device). You can either bar port 23423 from any incoming access, or allow it only for selected IP ranges (eg. allow it for your internal LAN addresses, and bar all others).

Most people would work via a router that would block this access by default, so your original request for a password isn't required for them.

Here is configuration and log for Serviio.
Serviio is playing your media file (Hail, Caesar! 2016.mp4) natively however does not find/serve an associated sub-title file for this media file.

What is the name of the sub title file (including file type) for this media?
Have you tried refreshing your library manually (using the Refresh button in Serviio Console)?
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

TBD

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:51 am

Well that would be the problem. You need to then bar this in your firewall (either windows firewall or if you are connected via a dedicated firewall, that device). You can either bar port 23423 from any incoming access, or allow it only for selected IP ranges (eg. allow it for your internal LAN addresses, and bar all others).

Most people would work via a router that would block this access by default, so your original request for a password isn't required for them.

Ok I do it with firewall.

Serviio is playing your media file (Hail, Caesar! 2016.mp4) natively however does not find/serve an associated sub-title file for this media file.

What is the name of the sub title file (including file type) for this media?
Have you tried refreshing your library manually (using the Refresh button in Serviio Console)?

Subtitles named like video file there is no all logs...

Hail, Caesar! 2016.mp4
Hail, Caesar! 2016.srt
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:11 am

Hmmm - reached the end of my knowledge. It should work, but Serviio doesn't appear to associated the srt file with the media.

Perhaps try (long shots):
  • renaming both files removing the punctuation marks (do the srt file first, then the mp4) eg. call them both "Hail";
  • embedding the subtitle into the mp4 (not an ideal solution, may assist in the ultimate solution). Plenty of tools around to do this, but with ffmpeg you use the command

ffmpeg -i "Hail, Caesar! 2016.mp4" -f srt -i "Hail, Caesar! 2016.srt" -codec copy -c:s mov_text outfile.mp4

and see if the outfile.mp4 plays with subs
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:27 pm

Another shot in the dark. Could the exclamation point be causing an issue? Sometimes a special character might throw things off.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

TBD

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:22 pm

DenyAll wrote:Hmmm - reached the end of my knowledge. It should work, but Serviio doesn't appear to associated the srt file with the media.

Perhaps try (long shots):
  • renaming both files removing the punctuation marks (do the srt file first, then the mp4) eg. call them both "Hail";
  • embedding the subtitle into the mp4 (not an ideal solution, may assist in the ultimate solution). Plenty of tools around to do this, but with ffmpeg you use the command

ffmpeg -i "Hail, Caesar! 2016.mp4" -f srt -i "Hail, Caesar! 2016.srt" -codec copy -c:s mov_text outfile.mp4

and see if the outfile.mp4 plays with subs

Thank you again for help,

I try with Firewall and get problem, when change rules for Serviio, WDTV Live detected on Servio Console (green icon-active) but not detected in Media Servers on my WDTV Live device. I just delete Serviio and install again. :(

For movie and subtitles I try with "Hail.mp4" and "Hail.srt" but not works... if I try ffmpeg get error

Unknown encoder 'Hail'

?? :?

Btw on one server (I don't know which server it is being) subtitles works fine with mp4 format on my old laptop with 3-6% CPU.... on my PC which is better FFMPEG use 50~% CPU! And thats why I want best solution. ;)
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:00 am

I try with Firewall and get problem, when change rules for Serviio, WDTV Live detected on Servio Console (green icon-active) but not detected in Media Servers on my WDTV Live device. I just delete Serviio and install again. :(
Did you only block port 23423, not the whole Serviio application? (You will need to create a new rule, not edit the existing rules).
For movie and subtitles I try with "Hail.mp4" and "Hail.srt" but not works... if I try ffmpeg get error
You only have the first subtitle option selected? ffmpeg should not even be used, but let us see the error.

or perhaps I misunderstand what you are saying....

This is two separate steps:
  • Rename both files to "Hail" and then do a force refresh, and then see if Serviio plays the files natively with subtitles (I'm testing to see if the punctuation marks eg exclamation mark, is causing the problem, its a long shot...)

and (as a completely separate exercise, using the original files):
  • Embed the subtitles (using the command above) into the mp4 file, hen do a force refresh, and then see if Serviio plays the files natively with subtitles.
Btw on one server....
Please elaborate - are you running two servers with Serviio on them? What do you mean - "with the better ffmpeg" (where did you source it)?
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

TBD

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:30 am

Hello again,

today search all forums and find nothing who solved this problem, I can't belive it FROM Y2011 (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4695&hilit=wdtv+subtitles&start=20) ... :cry:

Now I use MKVToolNix Gui and muxing mp4 and srt file to mkv. MKVToolNix do it in 30sec and my CPU not overloaded like with other video converters. I watch movie on WDTV with subtitles, but it's not good (big base of movie)...

or second trick is I can use Shared folder and subtitles works too with MP4 file. (but not help me in this case...)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Embed the subtitles (using the command above) into the mp4 file, hen do a force refresh, and then see if Serviio plays the files natively with subtitles.

Unknown encoder 'Hail' <-- ERROR

Get error when use this command ffmpeg -i "Hail.mp4" -f srt -i "Hail.srt" -codec copy -c:s Hail outfile.mp4

Did you only block port 23423, not the whole Serviio application? (You will need to create a new rule, not edit the existing rules).

NO. I edit the existing rules, I try with new one.

Please elaborate - are you running two servers with Serviio on them? What do you mean - "with the better ffmpeg" (where did you source it)?

I running just Serviio but trying with other servers too (Kodi, XBMC etc.). No ffmpeg... My computer is better than a laptop. :D

Sorry for my English.
<<

TBD

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:55 am

Can someone please tell me if install some of these tools, whether it worked or not?
Attachments
WDLXTV-Multimedia.png
WDLXTV-Multimedia.png (82.18 KiB) Viewed 25781 times
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:48 am

Now I use MKVToolNix Gui and muxing mp4 and srt file to mkv
This is essentially what the ffmpeg command I gave you will also do (although to an mp4 file not an mkv).
Get error when use this command ffmpeg -i "Hail.mp4" -f srt -i "Hail.srt" -codec copy -c:s Hail outfile.mp4
That's not what I gave you:

ffmpeg -i "Hail.mp4" -f srt -i "Hail.srt" -codec copy -c:s mov_text outfile.mp4

You can also change it to "output.mkv" if you prefer.

Anyway - using MKVToolNix will do the same thing so it seems you have this solved?? Not sure what you mean by "but it's not good (big base of movie)..."

Kodi, XBMC etc.
They are the same program :-)

Can someone please tell me if install some of these tools, whether it worked or not?

ffmpeg - use the version that comes with Serviio.
FileLoop - don't know, but cannot see how it would be used with Serviio. In the DLNA world, looping playback is up to your device (your WD Live)
MKVToolNix - is a tool I use outside of Serviio to fix media file issues. Don't use these versions - download the latest from the web (9.2.0 as at today). I use it occasionally to do things like change the order of audio tracks and to mux in subtitles to files (as you are found). This tool (and others such as ffmpeg and XMedia Recode which I also probably more extensively than MKVToolNix) is useful for manipulating media files outside of Serviio.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

TBD

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:15 am

That's not what I gave you:

ffmpeg -i "Hail.mp4" -f srt -i "Hail.srt" -codec copy -c:s mov_text outfile.mp4

You can also change it to "output.mkv" if you prefer.

Ups mov_text is command? :D

They are the same program :-)

Ups again I mean Kodi(XBMC), Plex etc. :D

Anyway - using MKVToolNix will do the same thing so it seems you have this solved??

Solved for now.

ffmpeg - use the version that comes with Serviio.
FileLoop - don't know, but cannot see how it would be used with Serviio. In the DLNA world, looping playback is up to your device (your WD Live)
MKVToolNix - is a tool I use outside of Serviio to fix media file issues. Don't use these versions - download the latest from the web (9.2.0 as at today). I use it occasionally to do things like change the order of audio tracks and to mux in subtitles to files (as you are found). This tool (and others such as ffmpeg and XMedia Recode which I also probably more extensively than MKVToolNix) is useful for manipulating media files outside of Serviio.

But Serviio use FFMPEG when "Enabled burned-in subtitles" on Console and use 50%~ CPU.
What if I install this ffmpeg (on my wdtv device) it subtitles then detected and works or not without "Enabled burned-in subtitles" option?
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:03 am

But Serviio use FFMPEG when "Enabled burned-in subtitles" on Console and use 50%~ CPU.
Yes - burning-in subtitles in requires the video to be transcoded, which is processor intensive. The only way to avoid this is to not burn in the sub-titles (but rather play them natively or mux them into the file as you have done with the MKVToolNix command).
Burning-in and muxing is not the same thing:
    burning-in = video transcoding = high CPU
    muxing = no video transcoding = low CPU
What if I install this ffmpeg (on my wdtv device) it subtitles then detected and works or not without "Enabled burned-in subtitles" option?
No, ffmpeg runs locally (on the machine Serviio is installed on). In any case, your wdtv device is not powerful enough.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

TBD

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:31 am

DenyAll wrote:Did you only block port 23423, not the whole Serviio application? (You will need to create a new rule, not edit the existing rules).

Now I blocked port on Firewall and it's OK now. Thank you!

Yes - burning-in subtitles in requires the video to be transcoded, which is processor intensive. The only way to avoid this is to not burn in the sub-titles (but rather play them natively or mux them into the file as you have done with the MKVToolNix command).
Burning-in and muxing is not the same thing:
    burning-in = video transcoding = high CPU
    muxing = no video transcoding = low CPU

In MediaBrowser not showing subtitles when mux into the file (MKV), I am not try MP4 yet.

Return to General discussion