FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Problem with HEVC/H.265 transcoding to Samsung UE46ES6710

<<

Gounok

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:30 am

Problem with HEVC/H.265 transcoding to Samsung UE46ES6710

Hello,

Playback with Serviio from my computer to my TV (Samsung UE46ES6710) has always been smooth and functional.
I'm currently using Serviio v1.6.1 under Windows 10 with the "Samsung TV / player (E/F-series)" profile.

Recently, I have experimented problems with 2 videos. Their common point seems to be the use of HEVC/H.265 codec.

The first plays, but with lots of artefacts in the picture and in the sound. The second refuses to play because "file format is unknown".

I have been trying to find a solution on the forum, and I found this thread http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18767#p105107, in which the user ended up trying the "Panasonic BD Player" profile.
So I changed my profile to "Panasonic BD Player" to give it a try, and first video then worked nicely, but the second refused to launch.
I then tried "the Panasonic Viera (2009)" profile, and with it, the first video worked, and the second one too but with a bad picture ratio (length is compressed).
With the "Panasonic Viera (2010)" profile, I can launch both videos with proper picture and sound, but it starts with a "file might not work" message, and I can't control the time, subtitles...

So, obviously, my Samsung E-serie TV is (hardware-wise) able to play those H.265 videos properly, but not if I use the dedicated "Samsung TV / player (E/F-series)" profile. I suppose the profile doesn't trigger proper transcoding ?

Do you have any idea how I could edit the profile.xml to make it work properly ? I tried to copy piece of code of the Panasonic profiles into the Samsung one but it changed nothing, even after rebooting server, computer and TV.

I'm also not sure what piece of information you need about the 2 videos I'm using to try and fix the problem, and what tool to use to extract this information, but if you let me know what you need and how I can obtain it, I'll provide it.

Thank you :)
<<

attonyzhou

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:25 am

Re: Problem with HEVC/H.265 transcoding to Samsung UE46ES671

I found with my Samsung E-series TV, when I transcoded to MPEG2TS container, I’ll have badly pixilation.
MPEG container is fine though.

So try container “mpeg” if it fixes problem.
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:10 am

I confirm. Transcoding to mpegts requires more cpu than Transcoding to mpeg, and so if your cpu is running 100% transcoding to mpegts it will pixelate, whereas transcoding to mpeg may not require 100% and the result will be fine.

The existing profile entry in sam_h which transcodes x265 to mpegts (which is also used by sam_ef and id=7 sam_cd )
  Code:
            <Matches container="*" vCodec="h265" />

needs to be removed and replaced with a separate section:
  Code:
         <!-- Transcode all h265 video to MPEG using limited bitrate MPEG2VIDEO and ac3 audio transcoding -->
         <Video targetContainer="mpeg" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="192" maxVBitrate="15360" forceInheritance="true">
            <Matches container="*" vCodec="h265" />
            </Video>

Note that the bitrate must remain limited or the Samsung will not recognize the original higher rate.
This fix resulted in a pixelated mpegts x265 transcode playing smoothly on my Samsung D as an mpeg x265 transcode.
I will post a request in bitbucket to correct the profile in the next release.
<<

Gounok

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:31 pm

Thank you both, jhb50 manual patch fixed the problem :)
<<

morbandit

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:32 am

I have a feeling this patch broke my transcoding of HEVC files. They were working fine a few weeks ago - now whenever we try to play them we get horrible visual artifacts / corruption and stuttering audio.

TV is a UA46D7000, and this is the first time I've ever had a problem with anything in about 5 years. I tried commenting out the line but it doesn't seem to do anything (though do I need to restart the Serviio process to make the profile change take effect?)

/EDIT I restarted the Serviio service and (after commenting out the line) I get "Video Codec Not Supported" - so how do I get it back to how it was pre-patch?
<<

morbandit

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:22 am

morbandit wrote:I have a feeling this patch broke my transcoding of HEVC files. They were working fine a few weeks ago - now whenever we try to play them we get horrible visual artifacts / corruption and stuttering audio.

TV is a UA46D7000, and this is the first time I've ever had a problem with anything in about 5 years. I tried commenting out the line but it doesn't seem to do anything (though do I need to restart the Serviio process to make the profile change take effect?)

/EDIT I restarted the Serviio service and (after commenting out the line) I get "Video Codec Not Supported" - so how do I get it back to how it was pre-patch?

Bump?
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:48 am

Re-install Serviio (over the top of the existing version) will reset the profiles back to their default.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.

Return to Transcoding