FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

1080p / High Res problems

<<

sergio

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:35 pm

1080p / High Res problems

hello i have some issues with 1080p and high resolution files.
I can correctly see them in my tv through servio, but it stops each times.
"loading" appears and it is impossible to watch a movie.
Starts stops starts stops..etc
It's just like when you're watching a video streaming and appears "loading"
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:43 pm

Re: 1080p / High Res problems

More detail necessary. TV model, Serviio version, wired or wireless connection between the Serviio computer and TV. We will probably need to see a log file, and perhaps a debug log. See my sig for instructions on enabling debug logging.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

sergio

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:47 pm

atc98092 wrote:More detail necessary. TV model, Serviio version, wired or wireless connection between the Serviio computer and TV. We will probably need to see a log file, and perhaps a debug log. See my sig for instructions on enabling debug logging.

hi and thx

- samsung SMART TV 40" ES5500 Full HD LED

- wireless dlna
router-pc wireless (asus wireless key)
pc-tv wireless (original samsung wireless key on tv)

- servio 1.6

-if you need the log/debug file i will do it

p.s. until these days i always thought it was a "net" problem. Becasuse with ripped 576i files servio has no problem. With 1080p there are the issues i explained.
<<

sergio

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:42 pm

up
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:01 pm

If the lower quality SD files play fine but the HD files don't, there's a couple of possible reasons.

First, you may be having network issues. HD requires a significantly higher bitrate. My DVD rips stream at around 3-4 Mbps, while HD can exceed 30 Mbps. Maybe try using a different channel on your wireless router setting. There might be interference causing connection issues.

Next, there could be an issue with the codecs used in your HD files. Without seeing the media information, we can only guess. Post the information of one of the videos that won't play. You can use ffmpeg to get the information. Unless you copy the ffmpeg.exe file into your video directory you'll need to enter the full path to ffmpeg and the video file. Without specifying the path, the command is ffmpeg -i file_name. Copy the results here.

Finally, Samsung doesn't have a great DLNA application. I have issues sometimes with my JU series, particularly when one video ends and the next is supposed to start. I generally use my Sony BD player or Roku instead of the app in the TV. Just works better overall.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

sergio

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm

atc98092 wrote:If the lower quality SD files play fine but the HD files don't, there's a couple of possible reasons.

First, you may be having network issues. HD requires a significantly higher bitrate. My DVD rips stream at around 3-4 Mbps, while HD can exceed 30 Mbps. Maybe try using a different channel on your wireless router setting. There might be interference causing connection issues.

Next, there could be an issue with the codecs used in your HD files. Without seeing the media information, we can only guess. Post the information of one of the videos that won't play. You can use ffmpeg to get the information. Unless you copy the ffmpeg.exe file into your video directory you'll need to enter the full path to ffmpeg and the video file. Without specifying the path, the command is ffmpeg -i file_name. Copy the results here.

Finally, Samsung doesn't have a great DLNA application. I have issues sometimes with my JU series, particularly when one video ends and the next is supposed to start. I generally use my Sony BD player or Roku instead of the app in the TV. Just works better overall.

First of all: THANK YOU

network issues:

that was my first thought, i can't understand if servio uses the bandwitch of internet connection OR the bandwitch of internal dlna.
If Servio uses the internet connection (that is illogical in my opinion, but is a guess) than we simply have the solution; my internet connection is a 8MB (880 kbit/s) and the bitrate of fullhd files is generally higher.

But i think servio uses the internal net.
My Asus wireless key,
my samsung wireless key and
my router.

Then, the bigger part of my 720p files are PLAYED correctly.
1080p files are READ correctly. But the result is .."scattoso" in italian...i don't know how to say it in english :D

EDIT (ok Scattoso is a video that is played with many pauses, the video loads, then restarts, again and again..)

In the end I am almost sure is a wireless / bitrate issue but i don't know how to fix it.

My asus key is 300mb/s
My samsung Key is...i don't know but i think the same
My router ii think is a good router (fastweb pirelli )

Just tell me what you need as files and i will do because i gotta solve this problem.
it changes my hardware configuration.
If i fix it i can buy internal HDDs, ans use Servio.
if i can't i have to buy external HDDs directly plugged into the tv.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:23 am

Correct, your Internet connection has nothing to do with your internal DLNA functionality. Internet is not even required to use a DLNA server on your network, except for retrieving online metadata. The problem is certainly your internal network. I'm not familiar with what you are calling your wireless key. probably something lost in translation, and unfortunately I don't know Italian. :lol:

I believe the English word you might be looking for is "stuttering". Another word of it is buffering, which is exactly what happens when the bitrate is too slow for the video. So again, I think we have to problem narrowed down.

The sure way to test it would be to use a network cable between the computer and router, and router to the TV. Naturally, it probably can't be done in your network layout. But perhaps you could at least run one of the cables. I would suggest a network cable between the computer and router first. Could you move the computer (at least temporary) close to the router and cable it? Then try playing a video and see if the buffering is gone. If it is, you've found your bad link. If it's still a problem, then the link to the TV is likely the issue. Of course, it could be a problem with both of them. If so, then cabling only one of them won't solve the problem.

If running network cable is impossible, you might try powerline networking. I'm assuming that these are available in European countries. While Powerline networking isn't as fast as a direct Ethernet cable, it's more than sufficient for your purposes.

If your Internet is 8 Mbps, that would be 8000 Kbps. You dropped a zero there! :D
Dan

<<

sergio

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:25 am

Correct, your Internet connection has nothing to do with your internal DLNA functionality. Internet is not even required to use a DLNA server on your network, except for retrieving online metadata. The problem is certainly your internal network. I'm not familiar with what you are calling your wireless key. probably something lost in translation, and unfortunately I don't know Italian. :lol:

:D
ok i try

wireless key = Asus wlan network adapter
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USB-N13/

tv wireless key = samsung wireless adapter WIS12ABGNX

I believe the English word you might be looking for is "stuttering". Another word of it is buffering, which is exactly what happens when the bitrate is too slow for the video. So again, I think we have to problem narrowed down.

with some usa friends we 've decided that "scattoso" translation's is "Not buffering properly" :mrgreen:

The sure way to test it would be to use a network cable between the computer and router, and router to the TV. Naturally, it probably can't be done in your network layout. But perhaps you could at least run one of the cables. I would suggest a network cable between the computer and router first. Could you move the computer (at least temporary) close to the router and cable it? Then try playing a video and see if the buffering is gone. If it is, you've found your bad link. If it's still a problem, then the link to the TV is likely the issue. Of course, it could be a problem with both of them. If so, then cabling only one of them won't solve the problem.
If running network cable is impossible, you might try powerline networking. I'm assuming that these are available in European countries. While Powerline networking isn't as fast as a direct Ethernet cable, it's more than sufficient for your purposes.
If your Internet is 8 Mbps, that would be 8000 Kbps. You dropped a zero there! :D

well that's an experiment that i don't know how to do
I have to think about it, maybe i got some long cables

ok gonna check then i will post again here
(is there maybe some "software" solutions ? Not to solve, but to find where this issue is and dedicate all the work in one focus point)

sorry for my english ;)
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:47 pm

Never apologize for speaking more than one language. That's better than many of us can do! :lol:

Tough to say if there's any setting or software issue that can help here. Testing with a network cable would pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless (as I think it is). It really seems like the network can't keep up with the necessary bitrate for your HD video. As I mentioned, you might try changing the channel your router uses for wireless. It should be in the settings somewhere, but I have no idea what your menu layout might be.
Dan

<<

sergio

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:32 pm

atc98092 wrote:Never apologize for speaking more than one language. That's better than many of us can do! :lol:

Tough to say if there's any setting or software issue that can help here. Testing with a network cable would pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless (as I think it is). It really seems like the network can't keep up with the necessary bitrate for your HD video. As I mentioned, you might try changing the channel your router uses for wireless. It should be in the settings somewhere, but I have no idea what your menu layout might be.

Yes we definitely have the same idea about this issue... my wireless devices can't buffer high bitrates.
I will enter into my router's settings to see if i can change channel.

yesterday i've watched a 720p file without any problem, no stops or issues, i think that some files have "something" different.
For example this issue always happens with documentaries. I think that a pixel "density", over a certain value, can't be buffered properly, and so i am sure that one of the 3 devices that work for my dlna is limited.

Return to Samsung