FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Hardware setup for Serviio

<<

tomsko

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:30 pm

Hardware setup for Serviio

Hi guys. I've got a 9U rack case and am thinking about filling it with a Serviio-dedicated machine, running Ubuntu/CentOS. What hardware setup can you recommend to run Serviio smoothly?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:21 am

Re: Hardware setup for Serviio

It will depend on if you expect transcoding to be necessary, and how many simultaneous streams you expect to support. My main server has a quad core AMD Phenom II 965 processor with 8 gig of RAM. I've supported 2-3 streams at the same time without issue, even if one stream requires transcoding. My media is spread across 6 hard drives of 3 TB each. The only changes I make from the default Serviio install is to add some personal transcoding profiles and to use a 64 bit version of FFMPEG, rather than the 32 bit that Serviio includes. Your Linux install will likely be more efficient than my Windows 10 install.

My RAM is likely overkill, as I seldom see any problem when testing on my backup server. It only has a dual core processor and 4 GIG of ram. It occasionally can't keep up with transcoding, but usually when dealing with HD or 4K material. With SD DVD rips, it plays flawless.

So, if you are only planning on one or two streams at a time, a quad core CPU and 4-8 G of ram is plenty. Add more streams with transcoding and add more cores. If transcoding won't be necessary, a dual core is fine. If you expect to stream more than two HD movies at the same time, your network should likely be gigabit. Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) can run out of room with multiple HD video streams rather fast, depending on the file encoding. I have some HD videos that stream at over 35 Mbps. Fast Ethernet could only handle two of those, and leave very little room on the network for anything else. :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to User experiences