FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio detects renders -- Renders do not detect Serviio

<<

martincom

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:37 pm

Serviio detects renders -- Renders do not detect Serviio

This was a working installation of Serviio 1.6 on a Server 2012 Essentials OS. The renders are multiple Directv DVRs, Sony components, Samsung, Panasonic and Pioneer components. The server was damaged in a thunderstorm/power outage this summer. Rather than deal with repairing it, likely mother board damage, we opted to replace it. Upon installing the OS, restoring data files and so forth, Serviio did initially function in the test environment (our other home). Upon installing the server at it's normal location, an issued developed configuring DirectAccess which necessitated a bare metal install of the OS. I never tested Serviio before the bare metal re-install.

After the bare metal re-install, Serviio installed normally and functions fully at the local host. In the status screen, it also detects renders connected or that had been connected to the network and the colored circles change state appropriately to indicate active/inactive status. However, none of the renders detect the Serviio server. I also cannot access the console via web browser on a network client PC that I could before the server replacement. The connection attempt times out.

I have disabled the Server 2012 firewall service for testing purposes with no change.

I have also disabled the Serviio service, restarted the server, allowed it to fully start all services, and then manually started the Serviio service in the event there was a dependent start up timing issue. No change.

Serviio did automatically detect the correct network adapter (only one enabled) and bind to it.

The balance of the network components have not changed from the working environment.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: Serviio detects renders -- Renders do not detect Serviio

Probably firewall issue. Check your firewall and virus scanner. More info in FAQ
<<

martincom

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:40 pm

Yes, that was my first conclusion. I did check the inbound/Outbound rules and found the inbound Serviio rules created by the Serviio install and verifyied that all outbound was allowed. I disabled the firewall completely, as I set forth in my opening post, just to confirm there wasn't something I was missing. No change.
<<

martincom

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:01 pm

I'm thinking it has more to do with discovery broadcasts. I'm deducing from the requirement to have UDP 1900 open and the ability to change broadcast intervals via system properties, Serviio utilizes SSDP for that purpose. I thought I had it solved when I found some SSDP related services that were disabled, but no such luck.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:46 pm

I note from your other post you have used wire shark and sniffed for discovery packets. They are usually easily found, so if youre not seeing them chances are this is your issue (serviio is not sending them).

Try another media server - Windows Media Player in streaming mode. See if that produces ssdp packets, and once done, retest Serviio.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

martincom

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:26 pm

Try another media server - Windows Media Player in streaming mode. See if that produces ssdp packets, and once done, retest Serviio.

I did that and yes it does send the broadcast as well as fully function. Server 2012 [i]Essentials[i] includes a media server and that is the specific version I tested.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:47 am

and you're still not seeing these packets from Serviio?

Maybe an issue with Java (you're using the version shipped with Serviio) or dependencies (a service that is needed to produce discovery packets isn't started - ensure that your SSDP discovery service is set to Automatic and has started, that the Serviio service is dependant on the HTTP service. You may want to add another dependency to Serviio to SSDP and see if that helps).
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

martincom

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:49 pm

Yes, I'm utilizing the Java version that shipped with Serviio. Yes, the SSDP service is running as well as others related to it. I made reference to this in the September 18, 2016 post. I thought I had found the issue back then when the "Function Discovery Resource Publication" service was disabled, but still not difference once I configured it for automatic and confirmed it was starting/running.
<<

martincom

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:11 pm

SOLVED: I stumbled on to the solution when addressing a minor annoyance that had begun to occur: Duplicates when browsing network neighborhood. To resolve this, I performed a stack reset utilizing the following commands:

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Follow with a restart. If you're utilizing static IP(s), you'll need to re-enter those assignments.

After this, the Serviio server PC began to show up and function on all the renders.
<<

martincom

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:42 pm

Well, no, it is not solved. Serviio functioned for a few days on the renders. The last time I attempted to utilize it, the Serviio server would appear on the renders, but none of the directories (audio, video, photos) were accessible. The render would eventually time out and then display an error message that no media was available, or something to that effect.

I re-ran the above netsh commands I previously posted and Serviio again functioned, but only for minutes this time.

Also, Serviio console fully functioned on a network workstation when the renders were operational. When the renders do not function, neither does console from a workstation.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:52 am

Man, I hate to say it but I think there's something out of whack with your OS installation. If there is a installation repair procedure (I believe you can sometimes just reinstall over the existing installation so you don't lose anything), you might consider it. I really don't think Serviio has anything to do with the issue. The TCP stack should not need to be reset. In all my years of building and maintaining computers (back to Windows 3.1) I've never had to touch it.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

martincom

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:34 pm

I'm reluctant to attempt that. It would likely result in resetting a number of configurations to their default values and I could be days untangling that. Everything else functions normally. I'm not seeing anything in the event logs that indicates an issue. I'll just continue to putter with it as time allows or until the next brain fart occurs.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:44 pm

Just an idea, but it could help determine if there's something on the network. Install Serviio on a different computer and see if it works. I have two Serviio servers on my network (one for testing purposes) and there's no problem having more than one. If it works ok, then you know the issue is solely with the Windows server 2012 machine.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

martincom

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:31 pm

I had placed this issue on the back burner and from time to time would try a few things to no avail. I had two certificates expire for the remote and direct access functionality of my Server 2012 installation. In the process of attempting to renew the certificates, I encountered issues with certain services binding to the renewed certificates. I concluded it was going to be far more expedient to completely uninstall the remote access features and then re-install it as a new installation to resolve the issue. After I completed doing so, I noticed Serviio was now appearing on my renders!

I also had an unrelated issue with forwarding being disabled on the IPv6 interface each time the server did a re-boot. I would have to manually re-enabled it with a Powershell command each time---one that I couldn't make persistent. The re-installation also resolved that issue.

So I'm speculating that during the two years the previous installation was active, there had been some updates installed that corrected the problem(s), but only within the installation files and not the operating files themselves.

I'm sharing this in the event this issue impacts another, as I did spend an awful lot of time on again, off again, attempting to resolve it. Serviio was installed before I uninstalled the Remote Access Management features and remained installed. Once I re-installed the features, I first enabled Anywhere Access and followed that with Direct Access and VPN access.

I still can't access the Serviio Console from a network workstation. So while a bit inconvenient, that is not a significant issue. Yes, I do have port 23423 open in the firewall. I haven't attempted to access console or Media Browser remotely via the internet as of yet.

Return to Serviio Support & Help