FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Hardware Acceleration

<<

Stardust

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:33 pm

Hardware Acceleration

Hi,

first of all: thanks for this great program! I just made a tiny donation, because you added some real cool features that made serviio the DLNA-client #1 for my Samsung C-Series TV! GREAT!!!!

One little noob question (i read some threads but could not get a clear answer): Does Serviio (/ffmpeg in use with serviio) benefit from hardware acceleration of HD-material?

I am asking this because a friend of mine has an ATI 4350 lying arround, which I could use for my DLNA-Server-PC.... If it makes sense.... The onboard graphics I am using at the moment is a GMA950.

Thanks in advance!
Stefan
Samsung UE37C5700, Server-PC: Mobile T5500 on Abit iL90MV (945GT chipset)
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:01 pm

Re: Hardware Acceleration

Stardust wrote:Hi,

first of all: thanks for this great program! I just made a tiny donation, because you added some real cool features that made serviio the DLNA-client #1 for my Samsung C-Series TV! GREAT!!!!

One little noob question (i read some threads but could not get a clear answer): Does Serviio (/ffmpeg in use with serviio) benefit from hardware acceleration of HD-material?

I am asking this because a friend of mine has an ATI 4350 lying arround, which I could use for my DLNA-Server-PC.... If it makes sense.... The onboard graphics I am using at the moment is a GMA950.

Thanks in advance!
Stefan

nope grapphic card has no bearing on serviio's performance.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

Stardust

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:19 pm

Thanks!

Just out of interest:

Are there any plans for the future regarding this topic?
Or is it impossible to get the stream back out of the graphics card after it has been processed?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:40 pm

It just sends the original or transcoded stream so the renderer needs the HW support. If it was on the Serviio side, you'd have to send a sequence of bitmaps over the network which is not doable (too high bitrate)
<<

Stardust

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:56 pm

zip wrote:It just sends the original or transcoded stream so the renderer needs the HW support. If it was on the Serviio side, you'd have to send a sequence of bitmaps over the network which is not doable (too high bitrate)

I see...

So it´s the turn of the ffmpeg people to implement CUDA/AVIVO support for transcoding....
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Stardust wrote:
zip wrote:It just sends the original or transcoded stream so the renderer needs the HW support. If it was on the Serviio side, you'd have to send a sequence of bitmaps over the network which is not doable (too high bitrate)

I see...

So it´s the turn of the ffmpeg people to implement CUDA/AVIVO support for transcoding....

NO hardware excelleration would have to be on the RENDERER not the server end
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

zip

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:56 pm

Well, it would also help during transcoding, if those guys implemented it. I think someone on this forum already mentioned it and there are some patches, but not all OSes
<<

Stardust

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:20 pm

Yeah, I heard that TMPG-Express uses CUDA to accelerate transcoding in a very efficient way.

Anyway, Serviio+ffmpg is doing an excellent job and my multipurpose-24/7-pc (Mobile T5500 on desktop mainboard) is fast enough to deliver a nice output stream.

:D

Best wishes,
Stefan
<<

zip

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:44 pm

good stuff, enjoy ;)

Return to Transcoding