FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Music Artwork issues and standards

<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:03 pm

Music Artwork issues and standards

I have noted other posts reporting various problems with artwork over time.
I have experienced Artwork issues generally when using UPnP/DLNA as some renderers work OK and others do not. Sometimes using a different server resolves the one not working but the original that worked previously does not with the alternate server.
This appears to be due to the various implementations and the adherence or non-adherence to the "standards".

I have found that Serviio works well with my control app BubbleUPnP.
I have seen reference in the forum to "Serviio adhers to the standards" by PN the developer.
I have not seem a post that states what the standards are and I think it might be helpful if the "standards" are identified and the way/order Serviio handles them.
Perhaps if they have been detailed elsewhere we could have a link.
This would be helpful in diagnosis and sorting problems.
Also experience and guidance with pixel size and file size would be helpful.
I have a right mixture with no apparent implications except they all share the fuzzy artwork.

I also have a specific Artwork problem.
My (excellent) BubbleUPnP control app works perfectly with the artwork on the Qobuz stream (it also supports Tidal but I have no experience of that option - other users may wish to comment).
As the Qobuz protocol is no doubt clear and simple this is not surprising.

The Serviio stream from my local media server also works and displays album artwork and thumbnails but there is a quality issue with the displayed artwork.
I think that it is using a thumbnail and then expanding it to a poor quality artwork.
Of course this may be a BubbleUPnP or Serviio issue or a mix of both.
I have just raised the issue with the BubbleUPnP developer and now await a response.

This may be a topic where we can raise and resolve this and similar Artwork issues.
Last edited by Paul C on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Serviio Pro v2.3, DBpoweramp & Asset UPnP (R7.4), HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Pro, Linn Majik DS/1, NEET AirstreamPro renderer, Naim NAC72/NAP140 (x2), Celestion Ditton 25 and Spendor A5 speakers, WD TV Media Player (x2), Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BDT360, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire 7 HDX, Kazoo & BubbleUPnP apps, Qobuz Studio Hi-Res.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:38 pm

Re: Music Artwork issues and standards

the DLNA standard is 160x160 which is pretty bad.
You can update your profile for using HD thumbnails (see the XboxOne profile for example). That will serve 320x320. If you still need higher, there is a system variable that can override the HD resolution ( http://serviio.org/index.php?option=com ... icle&id=43 ), serviio.hdThumbnailResolution . You can set it to something else, restart the server and refresh your library.
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:39 pm

I have edited the ServiioService.exe.vmoptions file in Program Files/serviio/bin
by adding -Dserviio.hdThumbnailResolution=600
as per the F.A.Q. page.
Then restarted pc and refreshed media etc.

The artwork still appears to be the same.
Is the -D bit right and should resolution be "600" or 600 ?
Do I have to modify the profile for using HD thumbnails (like Xbox) as well before using serviio.hdThumbnailResolution ?

My understanding is that I am using the Windows Service option not the Windows Service .bat option.
Last edited by Paul C on Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Serviio Pro v2.3, DBpoweramp & Asset UPnP (R7.4), HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Pro, Linn Majik DS/1, NEET AirstreamPro renderer, Naim NAC72/NAP140 (x2), Celestion Ditton 25 and Spendor A5 speakers, WD TV Media Player (x2), Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BDT360, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire 7 HDX, Kazoo & BubbleUPnP apps, Qobuz Studio Hi-Res.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:58 pm

I've never played with that setting, so I'm just guessing here. Does the specified width in pixels need to be in multiples of 160? That would mean 320, 480 or 640. Just a shot in the dark.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:09 pm

atc98092 wrote:I've never played with that setting, so I'm just guessing here. Does the specified width in pixels need to be in multiples of 160? That would mean 320, 480 or 640. Just a shot in the dark.

Thanks Dan.
Would not be very logical requirement as most cover art is 300x300, 500x500, 800x800 etc.
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:04 pm

I have now modified the profile for using HD thumbnails in addition to adding -Dserviio.hdThumbnailResolution=600.
Something has changed.
I think I am now getting the default HD size 320x320 (instead of DLNA standard 160x160 as before)
but I am not getting the 600x600 I have specified in the serviio.hdThumbnailResolution system properties - so the artwork is not perfect.
I don't think the system variable that overrides the HD resolution is working or I have misconfigured it.

Any ideas or corrections ?

PS. I have also found the forum post viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9227 dealing with this artwork issue - I use flac files - and would support these improvements to Serviio.
I also found the BubbleSoftApps link https://plus.google.com/111976220205764 ... bLTvRbccSC
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:05 pm

UPDATE. PERFECT ARTWORK WITH SERVIIO.
I now have Serviio artwork in glorious clear technicolor (it is wonderful) using the settings above
BUT there is a follow-up problem.

The settings did not initally appear to have worked except I now had HD 320x320 artwork but not 600x600.
I happened to update the id-tags on an album to change some track numbers (I did not touch the artwork) and afterwards the artwork appeared in 600x600 mode etc.

I experimented further by updating the artwork on another album (to trim off some white edging) and this album then also appeared in 600x600 mode.
I also amended the comment field on all the tracks of an album - again perfect artwork appeared.

I had previously done several media library "Force Refresh" as instructed and stopping/starting the server but this seems not to have worked (even after 24 hours).
Only the files I have subsequently changed are appearing properly.

BUG REPORT. Therefore there seems an issue with the refresh and the artwork that PN should be aware off.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:51 pm

you are right, force refresh only runs the scan again, but it doesn't re-extract files that already have been scanned. For video files there is the special button on the Metadata tab.

For audio you'd have to either remove and add the shared folder again, or touch all the files to get a new lastModified date, or move them to another location.
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:03 am

zip wrote:you are right, force refresh only runs the scan again, but it doesn't re-extract files that already have been scanned. For video files there is the special button on the Metadata tab.

For audio you'd have to either remove and add the shared folder again, or touch all the files to get a new lastModified date, or move them to another location.

Remove and re-adding the shared folder did not seem to work well - it seemed to hang after 2450 and 2452 records respectively - but maybe it was just resting !

Removing the "music" folder and renaming as "music-backup", and letting audio count on console spiral down to zero.
Then creating a new "music" folder and adding as shared folder, and copying from the backup to new music folder did the trick.
It did take 24 hours for 12,000 tracks (on my reliable but slow server) and the background indexing continued on for an extra 4 hours after copying completed.
All working beautifully now.
Great Serviio artwork with clear album covers and wording on covers all readable.

I think the process/steps of setting up of HD in the profiles, then adding system properties and subsequent re-extraction needs simplifying to make it user friendly.
Also such a lovely feature needs to be promoted and explained on website. Some App vendors think Serviio cannot provide decent audio artwork (1.9.1 ?).
Also need to test and ensure there are no performance/network issues.
Should HD replace DLNA as generic option - surely everything can handle the default 320x320.

PS How can you "touch all the Files" ?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:59 am

I believe what Zip meant by 'touch' is in some way to alter the file. This could be moving it to a new location, changing the file name, or altering the internal data of the file (which I doubt you would actually want to do). Perhaps adding some internal metadata, which would alter the size of the file. Any of these should trigger a rescan of the file.

Myself, I'm going to try your settings on my video media. Even at the HD setting, the image can be less than satisfying. Unsure if it will do any good for Internet supplied metadata, but can't hurt to try. :)
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:36 pm

atc98092 wrote:I believe what Zip meant by 'touch' is in some way to alter the file. This could be moving it to a new location, changing the file name, or altering the internal data of the file (which I doubt you would actually want to do). Perhaps adding some internal metadata, which would alter the size of the file. Any of these should trigger a rescan of the file.

Myself, I'm going to try your settings on my video media. Even at the HD setting, the image can be less than satisfying. Unsure if it will do any good for Internet supplied metadata, but can't hurt to try. :)

Petr said HD gives 320x320 wuithout editing the ServiioService.exe.vmoptions file in Program Files/serviio/bin for increased size.
Do these changes apply to images and video - not sure.

I am also experimenting with indexing performance issues with higher HD values.
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:40 pm

Have added a request for option in console to re-extract artwork data, that can be used after change of artwork, to BitBucket.
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:35 pm

Here are some examples of Audio HD artwork and pixels set to 600x600 (by adding -Dserviio.hdThumbnailResolution=600 see postings above).
It really is excellent.
(these are photographs of BubbleUPnP app and Serviio on my Kindle HDX 7).

Surely the Generic profile should be set to HD as the default (as I found HD and 600 pixels seems to work on all the devices and apps I tried including phones).
This would enable at least HD 320x320 which is a significant improvement on the basic DLNA size and "resolution".

There was a suggestion Serviio could not handle quality artwork - clearly it can - but the settings need to be activated.
Attachments
clap-2.jpg
clap-2.jpg (246.34 KiB) Viewed 11346 times
clap1.jpg
clap1.jpg (99.33 KiB) Viewed 11346 times
Last edited by Paul C on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:30 pm

zip wrote:you are right, force refresh only runs the scan again, but it doesn't re-extract files that already have been scanned. For video files there is the special button on the Metadata tab.

Fix either include in "Force Refresh" or a separate action as used in the Video section.
Have added to BitBucket - #1044: Force refresh should re-extract audio artwork.
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:16 pm

For those wishing to tidy or get missing Audio (music) artwork sorted there is a useful post by Dan Gravell
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=24255&hilit=bliss

Return to Serviio Support & Help