FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Hi, I have a question regarding Mediabrowser & Subtitles

<<

reckone1999

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:25 pm

Hi, I have a question regarding Mediabrowser & Subtitles

Hi, years after having purchased the serviio pro edition, I finally have my router configured to take advantage of the media browser, and serviigo. I run my serviio console on a mac, and stream to a PS4 on a Samsung TV, and everything works great there. i play mkv files with softcoded subtitles, or separate srt files with no problem.
when using mediabrowser on my ipad in safari, the subtitles do not show up either way. Regardless of whether the mkv is softcoded, or if there is a separate srt file I can't play subs in the medibrowser. And since I have no problem playing them on the PS4 streamed by Serviio, I'm assuming that the problem lies with the mediabrowser.
I searched the forum for an answer that would help me, but most of the responses to this type of question were things along the lines of "make sure you have enable extraction of text based subtitles embedded in your video files." and then there would be no follow up.

to be clear these are the settings in my serviio console:

ENABLE SUBTITLES (Check)
ENABLE EXTRACTION OF TEXT BASED SUBTITLES EMBEDDED IN YOUR VIDEO VILES (Check)
SUBTITLE CHARACTER ENCODING
TRY TO AUTOMATICALLY DETECT SUBTITLE CHARACTER ENCODING (Check)
CHARACTER ENCODING FOR FILES WHERE THE AUTOMATIC DETECTION IS NOT AVAILABLE
UTF-8

BURNED-IN SUBTITLES (Check)
PREFERRED FONT NAME ARIAL
PREFERRED FONT SIZE 16
PREFERRED FONT COLOR WHITE

And then for Online subtitles, I don't have anything checked, because I know if it pulls subs, they probably won't be synced, and i already have my own subs. I am not as technologically sophisticated as most users seem to be on here. I don't know how to generate a log file or anything, but I would very much appreciate help here.

Thank you in advance,
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:36 pm

Re: Hi, I have a question regarding Mediabrowser & Subtitles

You don't need to burn subtitles in for MediaBrowser. There should be a CC button on the video player when an external srt file is found.
<<

reckone1999

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:25 am

You're right, I did not notice that before, because with no srt there is no button.

is there a way to view soft coded subs that are in the mkv file?

because as it stands now, i'd have to extract a lot of my subs to get them to work this way.

thanks
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:24 pm

that should work with the

Code:
ENABLE EXTRACTION OF TEXT BASED SUBTITLES EMBEDDED IN YOUR VIDEO VILES (Check)

It may fail though, if the MKV file is huge - it can take up to a minute to extract the file, depending on where in the file the subs are stored and how fast it is to access the mkv file (slower on a network drive, for example)
<<

reckone1999

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:07 pm

yea,the embedded subs aren't being detected in medibrowser, and the file sizes are only like 300 mb, and no matter how long the file plays, but that's okay, i'll just extract the subs.

Thank you Ptr.

Return to Serviio Support & Help