FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Please help me to understand the Serviio concept.

<<

aussie43

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:35 am

Please help me to understand the Serviio concept.

I have installed the Serviio PRO package on my desktop PC where I store my media. I added a few folders of pictures into the library, and using the Media Browser, I can browse them or play slideshows. I can also access the Media Browser from a laptop on my home network.
I like the interface - only when in full screen mode - it is nice, clean and logical.

Now I come to my questions -

1. What will happen after the 14 day evaluation period expires, and the package reverts to the free version of Serviio ? How will I be able to browse and play the media on the laptops on my network, and on the desktop PC ?

2. Are there any other players/browsers available for PC's that can be used with the Serviio server ? I don't mind the $25 fee, but I would prefer a stand-alone application - not web-based - that would be operate in full screen as a default. I do not like having to use the F11 key to get full screen on and off.
<<

mjb

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:25 pm

Re: Please help me to understand the Serviio concept.

As explained at http://serviio.org/buy-pro/10-uncategor ... ree-vs-pro you will lose the Media Browser when Serviio reverts to free mode.

To answer question 2, Kodi is probably your best option.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:35 pm

Being able to use MediaBrowser is the carrot to entice you to purchase the Pro version. It was well worth it to me. So the answer to #1 is that you can't browse and play your titles without using a different player. Windows Media Player will see a Serviio installation, but can't play anything from it. That's a Windows/DLNA issue, not specific to Serviio.

If you'd like a different software product to stream from the Serviio machine, VLC is one good option, and works on multiple brands of OSs. As mentioned, Kodi is another good option.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:51 pm

#2: I would use vlc for that, it can cast to device too.
<<

eNdEmiOn

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:00 pm

As for your first question I would like to add that the devices you named (laptop and desktop) don't really need a DLNA service like Serviio for file sharing. Windows has built in file sharing options (SMB) which is also accessible by linux, android and osx which pretty much covers most more intelligent devices these days. TV's are probably the most likely exception when it comes to media access trough SMB. That's where Serviio/DLNA comes in handy.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:21 pm

eNdEmiOn wrote:As for your first question I would like to add that the devices you named (laptop and desktop) don't really need a DLNA service like Serviio for file sharing. Windows has built in file sharing options (SMB) which is also accessible by linux, android and osx which pretty much covers most more intelligent devices these days. TV's are probably the most likely exception when it comes to media access trough SMB. That's where Serviio/DLNA comes in handy.

Actually many TVs and media servers don't support SMB access. I can only recall a single Blu Ray player I used to own supporting SMB. It was a Panasonic, and it was not very user friendly for SMB access. DLNA was far superior, which is the reason I began experimenting with DLNA server. I'm ordering an Nvidia Shield tomorrow on Prime Day, and it supports SMB. But I won't be mothering with that. Using a DLNA server that offers metadata and great presentation views is far superior to just browsing files.

Windows 7 and later also comes with a DLNA server function, but it pales severely to Serviio or Plex.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

eNdEmiOn

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:02 pm

Isn't that what I already said that TV's are pretty much the exception to supporting SMB? Ok you're adding media servers although I'm not sure what you mean by that as in what constitutes a media server in your mind as it seems an awfully broad term including anything that can play media (including laptops and desktops). Maybe you're thinking of those "media/tv boxes" but they tend to run android these days so they're an app away from having access to SMB shares.

Anyhow my point was that when you're only suing actual "smart" as in real full fledged computers, like anything running windows, android, osx or a desktop linux distro you don't really need a DLNA server. I'm not saying you shouldn't if think it's handy to use for whatever reason. I don't know if the TS uses more devices than the laptop and desktop he mentioned to be used to watch media on over the network. If not he could spare him the effort to setup something like serviio.

Just to mention it you pointing to a BD player you once owned also points out the changing times and that such devices in use less and less. Ever since I started playing media over my network I haven't even bothered with BD. In my opinion BD started out 75% obsolete and to expensive to ever have a chance and today computer cases often don't even have slots available anymore to even have optical drives so they now are pretty much 100% obsolete. DLNA in part also gets less relevant as it filled a certain gap in the past which is getting smaller all the time (anything decent in the media player department pretty much has something as capable as android running it these days). Although I do think it'll stick around for quite some time still.

I'm not sure your point about offering metadata and a great presentation is limited to DLNA. Using Kodi for instance you get pretty much the same result whether you access your files trough DLNA or SMB.

Yes windows own DLNA server does suck, I've turned off the entire service. But it also point so a problem with DLNA namely that the server is in large responsible for the presentation. Maybe the presentation should be largely left to the device playing the files? Talking about problems accessing the DLNA server on the same device as where the server is located is also problematic. You can't use VLC for instance to check what your presentation settings actually look like accessing the server from the server computer.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:26 pm

When I refer to media streamers (I didn't mean servers, sorry), I include Roku, which has a significant market share, and Blu Ray players, because most of them have DLNA support. Other than that older Panasonic I've seen very few BD players that support SMB, and no Rokus do. Also, for many users, getting permissions set correctly for SMB access isn't always simple. Networking computers is daunting for many casual users. I agree that many of the Android players can support SMB, but again you are making the end user perform configuration that might be out of their comfort zone.

Yes, if you use Kodi you can have it gather the metadata itself, but most other players, such as VLC, will not. DLNA covers that with most server products.

The DLNA server controlling the presentation is actually a huge advantage for many users. A single configuration point and that's the way it displays on all devices.

Watching from a computer, yes a DLNA server doesn't offer much over SMB access, but few people use a computer connected to a TV/display for casual entertainment playback when they aren't sitting at a desk.

In my opinion, DLNA and SMB cover two different user activities. Since most home entertainment options are via a TV, and the majority of streaming devices don't support SMB, DLNA is a great protocol for providing a great user experience. For more knowledgeable users, with a supporting streaming device, SMB is another great option. They are complimentary, not in competition with each other.
Dan

<<

eNdEmiOn

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:23 am

Well I don't agree with some of your points but that discussion is for another thread. I think I made my main point sufficiently in case the TS ever decides to check out his thread (why is "Notify me when a reply is posted" not turned on by default?).

Return to Serviio Support & Help