FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How to setup TV

<<

firo8

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:24 pm

How to setup TV

Hey everybody,

I just downloaded the serviio server on my pc. I have created a library and the server is running. What do I do on my tv to find the server. I have tried looking for a serviio app, but if it exists it is not supported by my Samsung 8 series smart tv.

I quite frankly dont really know where to look for the server. I have tried looking online for a setup guide, but I am not able to find one.

Is anybody able to help me?

Thanks in advance
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:13 am

Re: How to setup TV

When you open the Source menu, Serviio should be one of the available sources. There is no Serviio app, you just use the built in DLNA player that Samsung provides. Be Ware that some Samsung TVs have issues playing transcoded files, while others have no problem. My JU series won't play anything this requires transcoding.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Scalex

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:14 pm

Is somehow possible to change player UI in Samsung TV? The default one is UGLY and almost unusable (my drawers with THE SIMPSONS 01 - 30 shows as THE SIMP... THE SIMP... THE SIMP... so I have to scroll my cursor from drawer to drawer and watch bottom infoline to see full name).
UI of MediaBrowser is much better (it shows full names of videos - default DNLA player shows first 8-10 letters, it has queue feature, it shows information about movies etc.), but running videos in TV webbrowser has a lot of other disadvantages.
Is possible to run some better "medibrowser like" UI on Samsung TV, which cooperates with Serviio?

Thanks.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:15 pm

Scalex wrote:Is somehow possible to change player UI in Samsung TV? The default one is UGLY and almost unusable (my drawers with THE SIMPSONS 01 - 30 shows as THE SIMP... THE SIMP... THE SIMP... so I have to scroll my cursor from drawer to drawer and watch bottom infoline to see full name).
UI of MediaBrowser is much better (it shows full names of videos - default DNLA player shows first 8-10 letters, it has queue feature, it shows information about movies etc.), but running videos in TV webbrowser has a lot of other disadvantages.
Is possible to run some better "medibrowser like" UI on Samsung TV, which cooperates with Serviio?

Thanks.

Yeah, use something else. :lol:

I'm only half joking. The Samsung UI is terrible, which is one reason I moved to a separate media player years ago. I started with a Sony Media player, moved to Roku, and now also have an Nvidia Shield. They all put the Samsung to shame. I can't remember the last time I used the Samsung Smart TV features, other that testing something. I use external boxes for everything. Even a Samsung Blu Ray player is far better than the TV UI.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Samsung