FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Roku 4k Ultra & Vizio TV No Sound

<<

louspag@hotmail.com

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:58 pm

Roku 4k Ultra & Vizio TV No Sound

I spent some time searching the forum and tring several changes with the profiles and device settings but I have not made any progress with my problem so I'm hoping someone can help.
I have been using the Sony SMP_N200 for a long time directly connected to the Vizio tv via HDMI. Everything worked great no matter what the format of the video or audio type. I just changed to the Roku 4k Ultra and although I can play and video type the audio will only play if it's 2 channels. I created its own profile forcing forcestereo=true with no luck. I tried several other changed found in the forum, again with no luck. My video collection is both h264 & h265 with various different audio formats AC3, AAC, DTS, DD, 2 channel, 5.1, 6 etc. and it all played on the Sony SMP-N200 with no problems. I put the Roku 4k ultra on a brand new samsung 4K TV and have the same issue. All video plays but only 2 channels audio plays.
What else can I try to get this to work before I plug back in the Sony?

Thanks in advance
Lou
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:51 pm

Re: Roku 4k Ultra & Vizio TV No Sound

I'm assuming you have the newest model of Roku, the 4660. There's a Serviio profile designed for that model, but it assumes you are connected to an AVR for audio. But it should be transcoding all unsupported audio to standard DD. Are are you using the "Roku 4K Media Player w/MPEG2" profile?

I haven't tested the Roku profiles connected directly to a TV, and I did just discover a week ago that some TVs won't accept an AC3 signal via HDMI. They need PCM, which the Roku can convert from AAC, but nothing else. So if the profile I listed above is not giving you sound, then we probably have to make a profile that uses AAC as the transcoded audio. You can test that by trying the Chaneru profile, which uses AAC. You wouldn't want to it permanently, because it transcodes far more than the Ultra requires.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

louspag@hotmail.com

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:34 pm

Thanks for response. I have tried all of the Roku profiles and none fixed the sound. Yes this roku is the latest model. I even tried the forcestereo=true hoping that it would force it but it doesn't. I have also tried other profiles with the same issue. I have not tried the one you suggested but will tonight. I know the Roku does audio passthrough but I'm hoping through a custom profile I can force stereo.

Thanks
Lou
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:40 pm

The only Roku player that can convert audio to AC3 is the Ultra 4640, which was the 2016 model and the one I have. No other player can convert anything other than AAC, which is converted into PCM. Multi-channel AAC isn't supported at all, which is the reason the Roku profiles don't use AAC as the target audio.

I'm pretty sure you'll find the Chaneru profile will work for you. But as I said it transcodes almost everything, which your Ultra doesn't require. Once you find out for sure if it works, we can build you a personal profile file that will work better for your Ultra.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

louspag@hotmail.com

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:51 pm

thanks for the ideas. you were right the profile that works is the Chaneru profile. I switched to that and so far several of the movies work great. I will stick with that for now and if i find any individual movies that don't have sound I will convert them.

Thanks Again for the help
Lou
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:03 am

I had a feeling it would work. As I stated, it will transcode far more than you need with your 4K set, and I don't think it supports 4K/H.265 at all. But if it's doing all you need, fantastic. :D
Dan

Return to Transcoding