FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

LOW RESOLUTION METADATA

<<

Haris1977

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:19 pm

LOW RESOLUTION METADATA

I am using serviio as my main windows "server". My client is openelec (raspberry pi). When i connect through upnp i got low resolution images (movie thumbnails) :cry: . Is there any setup for higher res thumbnails? Is there smth i am missing?

<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:11 pm

Re: LOW RESOLUTION METADATA

you can get slightly higher res (the low res is DLNA standard) by editing the (Generic?) profile and changing

<ThumbnailsResolution>DLNA</ThumbnailsResolution>

to

<ThumbnailsResolution>HD</ThumbnailsResolution>
<<

Haris1977

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:13 am

<<

BlueMan

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:45 pm

zip wrote:you can get slightly higher res (the low res is DLNA standard) by editing the (Generic?) profile and changing

to

Hello !

I made modifications as you said in the following files stored in C:\Program Files\Serviio\config folder :
- application-profiles.xml
- profiles.xml

then i stopped the Serviio service and restart it, but the images are still in low resolution...

In Serviio Console / Metadatas, in Audio and Images, the checkbox are checked, and even if i uncheck them, this not works either.

My version is Serviio v 1.9.2

What can i do now to resolve this problem ?

Thanks.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:18 am

they should go from 160x160 to 320x320. So you might not notice the difference immediately.
<<

BlueMan

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:48 pm

zip wrote:they should go from 160x160 to 320x320. So you might not notice the difference immediately.

Thanks, but my picture is 1080x1080...
So DNLA is limited to a maximum of 320x320 ?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:31 am

BlueMan wrote:
zip wrote:they should go from 160x160 to 320x320. So you might not notice the difference immediately.

Thanks, but my picture is 1080x1080...
So DNLA is limited to a maximum of 320x320 ?

There is a way to increase the thumbnail resolution. It requires making the change listed above, to change the setting from DLNA to HD. The other step is to exit the ServiioService.exe.vmoptions file (this is for Windows installations) and add the line
  Code:
-Dserviio.hdThumbnailResolution=1000

When I do this the thumbnail resolution is markedly improved. Be aware that every time you install a new version of Serviio this file is replaced, so you have to go back in and add the line again, as well as changing DLNA to HD in the generic profile.

Just remember that those images are stored in the database, so increasing the resolution makes the file size larger, so the database will take more space. Just looked at my test server, and with 607 videos the database is about 73 MB. Not huge, but when you get into the 1000s of media titles, it might be something to keep in mind.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

BlueMan

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:09 pm

atc98092 wrote:There is a way to increase the thumbnail resolution. It requires making the change listed above, to change the setting from DLNA to HD. The other step is to exit the ServiioService.exe.vmoptions file (this is for Windows installations) and add the line
  Code:

When I do this the thumbnail resolution is markedly improved. Be aware that every time you install a new version of Serviio this file is replaced, so you have to go back in and add the line again, as well as changing DLNA to HD in the generic profile.

Just remember that those images are stored in the database, so increasing the resolution makes the file size larger, so the database will take more space. Just looked at my test server, and with 607 videos the database is about 73 MB. Not huge, but when you get into the 1000s of media titles, it might be something to keep in mind.

I tried, but it does not work :
- I added the line you said.
- i stopped the Serviio service.
- i started it again

But no change.

Do i need to restart my computer ?

My lines in the file "ServiioService.exe.vmoptions" are :
-Xmx512m

Thanks.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:17 pm

If it was the Serviio service (not just the server function on the console), then the file was reloaded. If you only stopped the DLNA server via the console, then the file hasn't been loaded. Rebooting is a sure fire way to ensure all settings have been updated.

Also, once you've made the change you have to tell Serviio to rescan video metadata (on the metadata console tab) to refresh the images. Just changing the setting doesn't alter the metadata that has already been downloaded.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

BlueMan

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:46 pm

atc98092 wrote:If it was the Serviio service (not just the server function on the console), then the file was reloaded. If you only stopped the DLNA server via the console, then the file hasn't been loaded. Rebooting is a sure fire way to ensure all settings have been updated.

Also, once you've made the change you have to tell Serviio to rescan video metadata (on the metadata console tab) to refresh the images. Just changing the setting doesn't alter the metadata that has already been downloaded.

Hi !
Thanks.
I tried but it does not work.
Precision : i have this thumbnail problem for FLAC music files (they include a cover jpg).
What can i do now ?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:57 pm

Well, I've reached my limit of knowledge about this. Have to let Zip offer any additional suggestions, if there are any.
Dan

<<

Bill

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:57 pm

I too have been hoping for an improvement in the display of embedded album art when playing music (mp3) files using Serviio. <ThumbnailsResolution>HD in the generic profile is a vast improvement over the default setting of DLNA but the quality is still poor. I downloaded Universal Media Server for comparison. Playing the same file in UMS the album art is crystal clear so it's something that must be fixable. This is the one aspect of Serviio that is disappointing. It is otherwise an awesome program.

Bill
<<

BlueMan

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:11 pm

Bill wrote:I too have been hoping for an improvement in the display of embedded album art when playing music (mp3) files using Serviio. <ThumbnailsResolution>HD in the generic profile is a vast improvement over the default setting of DLNA but the quality is still poor. I downloaded Universal Media Server for comparison. Playing the same file in UMS the album art is crystal clear so it's something that must be fixable. This is the one aspect of Serviio that is disappointing. It is otherwise an awesome program.

Bill

I agree with you : Serviio is very effective and easy to use software, but this thumbail lack aspect must be imperatively improved ! ;)
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:09 pm

Bill wrote:I too have been hoping for an improvement in the display of embedded album art when playing music (mp3) files using Serviio. <ThumbnailsResolution>HD in the generic profile is a vast improvement over the default setting of DLNA but the quality is still poor. I downloaded Universal Media Server for comparison. Playing the same file in UMS the album art is crystal clear so it's something that must be fixable. This is the one aspect of Serviio that is disappointing. It is otherwise an awesome program.

Bill

Please see my earlier post viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24212
This issue has been raised before.

I have wonderful artwork. Problem solved. I personally use 600x600.
After setting thumbnail to "HD" in the profile and adding -Dserviio.hdThumbnailResolution=600 in the ServiioService.exe.vmoptions file in Program Files/serviio/bin
I noted that if I added a NEW album with 600x600 resolution the artwork was OK.
The issue was needing to regenerate to update the existing artwork.

I think a new Serviio HD profile would be useful and the option to customise the size in the Serviio console - Zip - should I create a ticket?
Last edited by Paul C on Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serviio Pro v2.3, DBpoweramp & Asset UPnP (R7.4), HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Pro, Linn Majik DS/1, NEET AirstreamPro renderer, Naim NAC72/NAP140 (x2), Celestion Ditton 25 and Spendor A5 speakers, WD TV Media Player (x2), Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BDT360, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire 7 HDX, Kazoo & BubbleUPnP apps, Qobuz Studio Hi-Res.
<<

BlueMan

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:16 pm

Hi !
Thanks !
Can you please give us your file with all correct HD definitions, because i tried everything and it does not wok.
My images are in 1080x1080 and seems to be displayed at 300 or 400, i dont know.
Thanks.
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:21 pm

I think if you read through the earlier topic you will be OK.
They are probably 320x320 now because of the "HD" change.

First change the generic profile to "HD" and add the new line to the ServiioService.exe.vmoptions file in Program Files/serviio/bin

Then try adding a NEW album with improved resolution.
Let me know how you get on.
Last edited by Paul C on Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Serviio Pro v2.3, DBpoweramp & Asset UPnP (R7.4), HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Pro, Linn Majik DS/1, NEET AirstreamPro renderer, Naim NAC72/NAP140 (x2), Celestion Ditton 25 and Spendor A5 speakers, WD TV Media Player (x2), Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BDT360, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire 7 HDX, Kazoo & BubbleUPnP apps, Qobuz Studio Hi-Res.
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:36 pm

1. Edit generic profile in file profiles.xml in Program Files/serviio/config folder (around line 395)
from
to

2. Add a new line to the ServiioService.exe.vmoptions file in Program Files/serviio/bin folder after the existing "-Xmx512m" line

-Xmx512m
-Dserviio.hdThumbnailResolution=600 (use 1080 in your case)

3. Suggest you re-boot your machine after the changes then try adding new album as suggested.

4. NOTE IN FUTURE you will need to repeat these changes after installing a new version.

P.S. Altering the generic profile may not be the best idea but have never encountered any issues AND IT IS SIMPLE especially as you need to repeat it in the future.
<<

BlueMan

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:18 pm

Hello Paul!

Thanks a lot!

So, here is what i have done :

- i modified my generic profile file, the lines <ThumbnailsResolution>DLNA</ThumbnailsResolution> into <ThumbnailsResolution>HD</ThumbnailsResolution> (i have 5 lines like that in this file but i add only to modify one of them).
- I stopped the Serviio service
- I added in the ServiioService.exe.vmoptions file the line -Dserviio.hdThumbnailResolution=1000
- i started again the Serviio service
- i launched the Servioo console.
- i suppressed the folder of my music.
- i recreate it, checking the probe function.
- I saved.
- I ask top refresh the libray
- i DID NOT restart my computer and went directly to my Samsung tablet to operate

and now it WORKS PERFECTLY with high definition nice images for my music in the following Android application :
- Yamaha MusiCast
- Hi-Fi Cast

:D

Thank you VERY MUCH!

Hope that my experience will help!

Thanks again!
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:06 pm

BlueMan wrote:Hello Paul!

Thanks a lot!
and now it WORKS PERFECTLY with high definition nice images for my music in the following Android application :
Thank you VERY MUCH!
!

Glad it worked OK for you.

I think this is a recurring issue and many Serviio users are not enjoying high quality artwork.
BubbleUPnp forum previously stated it was not possible with Serviio but we proved it is but process needs to be more user-friendly.

I will raise a change request to simplify the task and ensure it carries over across updates:-
- a new permanent Serviio HD profile would be useful
- an option to customise the size for HD thumbnails in the Serviio console
- an option to force the generation of the higher resolution artwork for existing files (if necessary).
<<

BlueMan

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:57 pm

Paul C wrote:
I will raise a change request to simplify the task and ensure it carries over across updates:-
- a new permanent Serviio HD profile would be useful
- an option to customise the size for HD thumbnails in the Serviio console
- an option to force the generation of the higher resolution artwork for existing files (if necessary).

Very good ideas!

Thanks again for your help and your great Serviio software. ;)

Best regards.
Next

Return to General discussion