FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Video playback quits unexpected

<<

RLoef

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:48 pm

Video playback quits unexpected

Hi,

I am using Serviio 1.10.1 on a MacPro 5.1 with OSX Mojave. I convert all my vide's with Handbrake and use the same conversion profile for all videos so it wil (well, it used to) run on all my players:
- LG BR player BP430 (old)
- LG BR Player BX580 (even older)
- LG WebOS TV UK6750 PLD (OS 04.10)

A lot of my newer video's quit halfway through the file and then Serviio jumps to the next video in the series. In can't find if this started after a Serviio update, changes in handbrake or some other components that has been updated. But it happens on all LG player at the same timestamp for a certain video file (different timestamp for another video). So I rule out a change in one of my players (the BR players haven't received an update in years). Older files still seem to play without problems. It makes no difference if I switch transcoding on or of or when change the device from "Generic DLNA Profile" to "LG TV / Player".

If I compare the video info with MediaInfo the the main difference are:
Old video file
Writing library : Lavf57.7.2
Format settings, CABAC : No

New(er) video file (newer Handbrake version but same conversion profile):
Writing library : Lavf58.20.100
ErrorDetectionType : Per level 1
Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes

Not sure how to post the debug log from Serviio in this post but the only thing that is visible is: the [PlaybackEventsManager] reporting that the Playback of the media item has stopped at 0%

To make things weirder: If I play such a file I cannot fast forward or jump to a certain point in the video file. I receive an error message: that functionality is not supported by this file format.
The web interface, when playing the video on my MacBook, shows a limited endurance for the file (the moment where it quits on TV) but luckily keeps on playing after that timestamp has been reached.

Any clue if that "CABAC" thing can be the cause of this issue?

Best Regards,
Rob
<<

RLoef

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:46 pm

Re: Video playback quits unexpected

Just to add to the confusion:
2 episodes of a show, using the same version of HandBrake and conversion profile encoded one week in-between, first one plays correctly the second one fails.
Tried to downgrade Serviio and Handbrake and reencoding files but made no difference.

Symptoms are the samen: on my LG Web-OS I cannot do a fast forward and it quits after while. On my LG BR players I can do fat forward but it quits at the same time stamp.

I know my LG devices can play the video files correctly after I installed Plex. With Plex all the files run smoothly do not quit mid-show, and can be fast forwarded. Unfortunately Plex can't handle my external subtitles on my LG TV....

Return to Serviio Support & Help