FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[Solved] Sony BDP-S6500 and DDP/E-AC-3 Audio, no sound

<<

Henderson

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:27 pm

[Solved] Sony BDP-S6500 and DDP/E-AC-3 Audio, no sound

When I run into a file with DDP audio, the Sony 6500 bluray player pops up a message about unsupported audio format and plays with no sound. I have Serviio Pro 1.10.1 and using the Sony BDP-Sx100 (2013) profile.

I have 2 older Sony players, the BDP-S5100 and BDP-S5200 and both of those will play sound on DDP audio files using the Sony BDP-Sx70/SMP-N100 (2010 US) profile, it will transcode the file to play it. I switched the S6500 to the older 2010 profile and then it also will transcode the DDP file to play it correctly. However, that profile makes all photos just show the broken image icon when I try to view photos. The thumbnails show, but not once you select any image, including .jpg.

Is there some combination of the 2 profiles that will transcode files with DDP audio AND still display images on the S6500?

I have the same issue on my Roku Ultra box with Serviio where it won't transcode any file with DDP, and I've tried every Roku profile. The files play with Plex, but I absolutely hate Plex with a passion and really don't want to consider using it even for just the Roku Ultra. The Roku Ultra is Model 4660R if that matters, the 2017 version.

Any advice?
Last edited by Henderson on Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:26 am

Re: Sony BDP-S6500 and DDP/E-AC-3 Audio, no sound

Are you connecting your players directly to the TV, or are you using an AVR for the audio. I can't speak about the Sony player, but the Roku 4660 Ultra does not have a DD+ to DD decoder. Any device that you send the audio to, such as a TV, has to be able to decode the DD+ itself. The older Ultra 4640 had such a decoder, but it was removed for cost savings. Bad move in my opinion. Many TVs don't support DD+ audio, so that's why you don't get any sound. I can assist with an alternate Roku profile to transcode the audio, but I'm traveling this week and won't be home until Friday. If you'd like some help, send me a PM so I don't lose track of this thread and forget to get back to you.

And we can probably add a line to your Sony profile to capture the DD+ tracks as well.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Henderson

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:01 pm

That would be great and I'll send a reminder PM to you with a link to this thread. And I certainly don't mind the wait at all.

All of the various players are connected directly to the TVs, and I'm certain none of the hardware is capable of playing DDP audio directly. While the S6500 is a new player and capable of upscaling to 4K, it's been disappointing in other ways where it can't seem to do what the older 5100 and 5200 can do. For instance images... while none of the 3 Sony players are supposed to support .arw or .dng image files, the 5100 and 5200 does display them perfectly, yet the 6500 can't, it just displays the broken image sign. But not being able to display .jpg files while using the 2010 profile was a new one. It would be nice if I could find a way to force the 6500 and the Roku to transcode the DDP audio files, and still have the 6500 display at least jpgs.

So right now the 6500 using the 2010 profile will transcode DDP audio files, but won't display jpgs. Using the 2013 profile it will display jpgs but won't transcode DDP audio files.

And the Roku won't transcode DDP files under any profile.

I've been really tempted to hunt down an older 5200 player at times, but I'm probably going to get a 4K TV later this year, that's the only thing stopping me.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:06 pm

OK, try this. Attached is a user-profile file. It contains two profiles, one that adds eac3 transcoding to the Sony profile and one that adds it to the Roku profile. Place this folder in your Serviio/config folder, then restart Serviio to ensure the new file is read. As long as I didn't make an error, it should load this file and you will have two new profiles to select from. Note that you have to manually select these profiles, they won't be used by default. But once you have selected them, Serviio will remember their selection, and installing a Serviio update will not overwrite this file.

For the Sony, the profile name is "Sony BDP-Sx100 w/DD+" and the Roku profile is "Roku 4K Media Player w/MPEG2 and DD+". They both inherit from the original profile, so everything should work as it does now, except you get EAC3 converted to standard DD. Note that I made the match container as any, so it shouldn't matter what container you are using.

If for some reason Serviio won't start with this file, then I made a boo boo somewhere, so let me know. However, I'm pretty confident it's correct.

Sony, along with other manufacturers, have been removing DLNA functionality over the years. I had older Sony BD players that would bitstream both Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio. My current player (BDP-S3500), which isn't all that new, won't stream TrueHD/Atmos. That's why I bought an Nvidia Shield. It bitstreams them all, and I don't have to transcode anything, including videos in the WTV container. That one really surprised me. Plus the Shield plays all my captions without a problem. I don't really need a disc player anymore, since I rip everything to my server.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

Henderson

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:01 pm

Just putting that file into the Serviio\config directly wouldn't let the serviio server stay running. As soon as I started it, it would almost instantly pop back off. So for now I just added the lines into the profiles.xml file under the corresponding profile.

The Roku profile works perfectly. But when I play a DDP audio file from the Sony 6500, it just keeps showing the spinning icon in the upper right like when it starts transcoding, but the screen remains black and the spinning never stops. The only way to undo the black screen is to restart the 6500 then. I added it as the topmost lines under Transcoding, I'm assuming it's position there doesn't matter?

I probably would have opted for the Nvidia Shield over the Roku had I known the trend was to drop the DLNA function lately. I really loved the Sony BD players up to this point and I'm really hoping the older ones don't break down. I don't stream directly from my TV often, but I tried it last night and it also won't transcode the DDP audio either (TV is KDL40W600B, profile is Sony Bravia TV 2013/14).

Thanks for your help with this.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:51 pm

Oh, that's embarrassing. I forgot to close the transcoding section. My bad. :oops: Here's the corrected file. I tested it on my test server and it loads fine. How about trying it again, using this file? It is likely something to do with where it's placed in the profile, but running it from the separate file might make a difference. I can't test it here, since I don't have any files with eac3 audio to my knowledge.

If the Sony still won't play one, will it play something that has normal ac3 encoding, or do you have any?
Attachments
user-profiles.xml
(940 Bytes) Downloaded 511 times
Dan

<<

Henderson

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:19 am

:lol: I hate to admit I've done similar things. Thanks, this new file loads perfect and the Roku plays the DDP just fine.

But the Sony 6500 continues to do the same thing as when I added it into the profiles.xml file, just the spinning icon and a black screen that I need to restart the player to get rid of. There is a transcoding file created when it does that, it just never seems to play. The 6500 does play AC3 audio, that's what I use the few times I bother re-encoding a file. And remember the 6500 will transcode the DDP file if I use the 2010 profile.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:47 am

Henderson wrote::lol: I hate to admit I've done similar things. Thanks, this new file loads perfect and the Roku plays the DDP just fine.

But the Sony 6500 continues to do the same thing as when I added it into the profiles.xml file, just the spinning icon and a black screen that I need to restart the player to get rid of. There is a transcoding file created when it does that, it just never seems to play. The 6500 does play AC3 audio, that's what I use the few times I bother re-encoding a file. And remember the 6500 will transcode the DDP file if I use the 2010 profile.

Weird. I looked at the 2010 profile and saw it had a eac3 matches line, but it was specific to the MKV container. The only change I made was to match all containers. Can't figure that out. Perhaps remove the ForceInheritance=true part of the target line, although many of the other transcoding sections of the 2013 profile have it. I'm at a loss. At least we have the Roku working right. I know more about those than the Sony anyway. :D

EDIT: I looked again at the bdp2010 profile, and noticed it had a bitrate set for the audio. Try changing the line to this:

Code:
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="320" forceInheritance="true">

See if the video loads now.
Dan

<<

Henderson

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:30 am

Same thing happens, black screen until I restart it. I even tried changing the * to matroska for the heck of it and no difference (as expected, grabbing at straws).

If you have any other thoughts, I'll keep trying. But at least for now the Roku can play DDP audio.

Btw, does the Nvidia Shield also display images and particularly raw images? I couldn't find any mention of what image files were supported on it.

The 2 older Sony BD players both popped up with update messages a few days ago, and I'm afraid to do any more updates so they don't somehow lose the ability to display raw images, since they're not supposed to support raw to begin with.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:54 pm

Yeah, I'm at a loss about your Sony. I've run out of ideas with it.

I can't say what support the Shield has for images, but I would be surprised if it didn't support raw. Maybe an app like Kodi would have more complete details about supported formats.
Dan

<<

Henderson

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:42 pm

Oddly enough the Sony Bravia TV does show the raw images, so at least I have a way to view everything now from the TV with the S6500 and Roku connected to it. Not as convenient as having one device that does it all, but it'll do. And like the Sony blu-ray players, the TV doesn't support raw images, yet does display them perfectly.

Thanks so much for your help with this. I'll keep playing around with various profile entries and if I ever hit the right successful combination, I'll post here, might help others.
<<

Henderson

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:03 pm

I've got it finally! Something I discovered while playing with more entries today and by watching what files would get transcoded or not, the reason the Sony 6500 would work under the 2010 profile is because it forces it to transcode all mkv files, not just the few with the DDP audio.

So I pretty much threw the kitchen sink at it, adding everything from the 2010 profile and going through eliminating lines (and often adding them back in) and testing back and forth until I got down to this that works:

Code:

<Profile id="bdp2013+" name="Sony BDP-Sx100 w/DD+" extendsProfileId="bdp2013">
  <!-- Remux  video stream, transcode Dolby Digital+ audio only -->
    <MediaFormatProfiles>
      <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU,MPEG_TS_SD_NA,MPEG_TS_SD_KO">AVC_TS_MP_SD_AC3</MediaFormatProfile>
      <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU,MPEG_TS_SD_NA,MPEG_TS_SD_KO">AVC_TS_MP_SD_AC3_T</MediaFormatProfile>
      <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU,MPEG_TS_SD_NA,MPEG_TS_SD_KO">AVC_TS_MP_SD_AC3_ISO</MediaFormatProfile>
      <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU,MPEG_TS_SD_NA,MPEG_TS_SD_KO">AVC_TS_MP_HD_AC3</MediaFormatProfile>
      <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU,MPEG_TS_SD_NA,MPEG_TS_SD_KO">AVC_TS_MP_HD_AC3_T</MediaFormatProfile>
      <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU,MPEG_TS_SD_NA,MPEG_TS_SD_KO">AVC_TS_MP_HD_AC3_ISO</MediaFormatProfile>
    </MediaFormatProfiles>
    <Transcoding>
      <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="320" forceInheritance="true">
        <Matches container="matroska" aCodec="eac3" />
      </Video>
    </Transcoding>
  </Profile>

And the 6500 now is transcoding and playing DDP files perfectly, and no longer transcoding every mkv file.

Thanks for your help with this. It pushed me in the right direction to semi-know what I was doing at least enough to figure it out. :lol: I didn't have a clue where to start with it before. Raw images still don't play, but jpgs do again at least. That's a battle for another day.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:14 pm

:D
Dan

Return to Sony