FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Samsung C5500 Drop-out

<<

alexryans

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:10 pm

Samsung C5500 Drop-out

Hi guys,

Still having really bad problems with constant drop-outs with Serviio 0.5 running on an iMac via a wireless network (wired isn't an option, I'm afraid!). I've bound my IP address in the Manager and don't have any virtual cards installed, but I keep getting drop-outs at random intervals.

All media plays fine, and my C5500 can 'see' Serviio more or less all the time, but the drop-outs cause the connection to reset (I assume!) and the streaming fails.

I've attached a copy of my log file, in case anyone's interested or if it'd help diagnose the problem.

I'd also like to say that, aside from this issue, I do love Serviio and my thanks to the developer(s) for releasing such a great piece of software!
Attachments
serviio.log
(112.19 KiB) Downloaded 437 times
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:24 pm

Re: Samsung C5500 Drop-out

Any chance you could try and run it wired (temporarily) to confirm whether that might be the case?
<<

alexryans

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:44 pm

Unfortunately not, I'm afraid. The only way I can communicate between the two is via a wireless connection. Sorry!
<<

alexryans

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:51 pm

Just to add a little more information - there are times when I can get a perfect connection and play media in full, however this is rare.
There also seems to be no catalyst to trigger the drop-outs; it just happens completely randomly, even when there is nothing apart from Serviio running/open on my system.
Sometimes, after a drop-out my C5500 takes ages to re-discover Serviio, even after a restart of both the player and the application.

Hope that provides a little more insight into this! Also, sorry again about not being able to try anything using a wired connection - I would if I could, I'm not just saying no to be awkward :D
<<

zip

Post Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:20 pm

In the log there are some Broken pipe errors, that basically meant the TV closes the connection for whatever reason. That might be that your wi-fi connection failed or the file is corrupted or unplayable by the tv.
<<

alexryans

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:25 pm

OK, so is there any way to fix this, or is it down to my Blu-Ray player? I'm running the latest firmware and don't experience any wi-fi drops on any other device.
<<

zip

Post Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:29 pm

You'd have to ask someone who owns the player. Wi-Fi is generally quite unstable, especially for high throughput operations where stable bitstream is needed.
<<

mback2k

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:22 pm

I am also sometimes running into such issues. Serviio and the BD player communicate over a wired connection. It happens randomly and there are no errors in Serviios log files.

I think the firmware of the C5500 can be quite unstable from time to time. As soon as the problem appears again, I try to restart the BD and if that does not help I fall back to my Sony Bravia TV.

It might be related to transcoding and/or high bitrates, but I am really not sure.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:58 pm

what channel are you running your wireless on ? as if you get 2 people close by on same channel it can cause issues and connection drop out.

FYI: dont use channel 11 way to many people use that :)

here is a white paper on the subject if you wish to learn more: http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wifi ... hannel.htm
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

Grumpa

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:49 pm

I was having similar issues where my wireless would work fine to stream 720p to my laptop for days on end then suddenly it would drop out several times in a day. I run an Asus WL-520GU with Tomato firmware and on a hunch that the router might be overheating I turned the power down to 28mW from its default of 42 and my connections are much more stable. My laptop is at the furthest point from the router in my house and I have enough signal that I can bring it down a little more if needed.

I'd suggest getting a booster antenna for the router at least and try turning the transmit power down on the router.

I've reworked my network now to hardwire everything except the 2 laptops with Cat-6 cabling after 10 years of 2 wireless routers, 1 in the basement, 1 in the office and 2 gigabit switches hooked to them for the computers. While cable runs were short troubleshooting was a nightmare for me. Now it's 1 router in the office -> GB switch in the basement. Cabling runs are longer but massive improvement in stability.

I also upgraded my AMD XP3000+ for a Dual-Core E6500 and Serviio is finally working perfectly with my BD-C5500. :)

Thanks to the developers.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:59 pm

Grumpa wrote:I was having similar issues where my wireless would work fine to stream 720p to my laptop for days on end then suddenly it would drop out several times in a day. I run an Asus WL-520GU with Tomato firmware and on a hunch that the router might be overheating I turned the power down to 28mW from its default of 42 and my connections are much more stable. My laptop is at the furthest point from the router in my house and I have enough signal that I can bring it down a little more if needed.

I'd suggest getting a booster antenna for the router at least and try turning the transmit power down on the router.

I've reworked my network now to hardwire everything except the 2 laptops with Cat-6 cabling after 10 years of 2 wireless routers, 1 in the basement, 1 in the office and 2 gigabit switches hooked to them for the computers. While cable runs were short troubleshooting was a nightmare for me. Now it's 1 router in the office -> GB switch in the basement. Cabling runs are longer but massive improvement in stability.

I also upgraded my AMD XP3000+ for a Dual-Core E6500 and Serviio is finally working perfectly with my BD-C5500. :)

Thanks to the developers.

one of the best setups i have seen on these forums so far well doen :)
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

kikop

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:02 pm

My network setup is wired.
I left with the impression that the dropouts appear when Serviio starts looking for new files.
It may be due to my old Athlon XP2200+, may be due some other reason.

My so far successful solution is to update library manually, not automatically.
And I select only the part (directory) that needs to be updated (which takes few minutes), not the whole bunch that needs hours and hours to update :)
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:05 pm

kikop wrote:My network setup is wired.
I left with the impression that the dropouts appear when Serviio starts looking for new files.
It may be due to my old Athlon XP2200+, may be due some other reason.

My so far successful solution is to update library manually, not automatically.
And I select only the part (directory) that needs to be updated (which takes few minutes), not the whole bunch that needs hours and hours to update :)

there is a feature request for exactly that partial update rather than full :)
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

froggzy

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:47 pm

i must say that i do experience drop ot on my samsung7010. however, i can still see the pc itself with the samsung. but not the servio. the servioo comes back after a few seconds...
also running on wireless.
<<

scalp

Serviio newbie

Post Thu May 19, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi,
I am exactly the same problem as alexryans.
I have a samsung C6500. Serviio 0.5.2 is running on an imac. I change my router to a lynksis E3000 because I thought at first that the problem was because of low speed of my router.
As I don't have any problem to watch a movie with my ipad, but I have one (drop out after a while) with my samsung, I suspect the problem is coming from the player.
I attached the logs of the movie I tried to watch yesterday.
Thank you.
Attachments
serviio_crash.txt
(101.72 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
<<

RPP

Serviio newbie

Post Fri May 20, 2011 1:23 am

I have this drop out problem with my Samsung. It's ONLY when I attempt to view MP4's. If I use the "generic" profile, the MP4 video's run without dropouts or buffering, but the audio cuts out constantly. If I use the Samsung D profile, both video and audio work fine, but it has to do excessive buffering (drop outs) all the time. I have a wired connection. If I play the same MP4's using my Sony BD player connected to the Serviio server, they play fine, so I've ruled out the network or server as being a problem. Also, when I view MP4's on my IPOD, they run smoothly with no buffering. The problem is ONLY when using the Samsung. I tried several other DLNA servers, and the SAMSUNG has a problem with MP4's no matter what server is used! I've narrowed it down to a SAMSUNG problem with it's support of MP4's. All other video formats run fine. Maybe someday SAMSUNG will fix it.
<<

zip

Post Fri May 20, 2011 8:49 am

Samsung makes a lot or byte range requests when playing mp4 files, e.g. 0-100, 101 - 200, etc. It plays other formats in whole with just 1 request. So it's down to your network where it cannot cope with these (frequent) requests
<<

scalp

Serviio newbie

Post Fri May 20, 2011 12:20 pm

So does it mean that if i am wire connected, this problem won't occur anymore?
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Fri May 20, 2011 12:28 pm

scalp wrote:So does it mean that if i am wire connected, this problem won't occur anymore?

What wireless connection are you using?

802.11b - 11 Mbps
802.11g - 54 Mbps
802.11n - 150 - 300 Mbps
ethernet - 100 Mbps
Gigabit net - 1000Mbps

If you are running wireless b or g yes wired would help. If you have wireless you might be able to use Quality of service to increase the priority of the video streaming in your router setup.
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
<<

scalp

Serviio newbie

Post Fri May 20, 2011 12:45 pm

I have 802.11n
My router offers 5GHz or 2.4GHz, but it looks like my samsung C6500 does not see the 5GHz which should be more powerful according to lynksis.
I will try the QS setting, but there is only an ipad on the wireless network with my samsung.
Thank you all for your help.
Last edited by scalp on Fri May 20, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Samsung