FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Disable access to folder by device

<<

Laurenzis

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:08 pm

Disable access to folder by device

Hy there,

I actually installed version 2.0 on qnap-nas. Before buying the pro-version I'm still wondering if it is possible to deny DLNA-access to special shares from specific devices. I want to give access to my childrens to their videos but I want to deny access from their devices to adult-media. So my question is: Is this possible?

Thx,

Lauri
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:37 pm

Re: Disable access to folder by device

To my understanding, yes. You can assign users with access to specific shares. Note that this isn't down to a specific folder, just the share itself. So if you have child specific media, you put that is a folder that does not underlie another shared folder. Then you can grant user access to the share (after you've created a kids user account of course). Then you can go to their device in the console and assign that device to the same user account. If I understand the way it works, that device will now only be able to view media specifically allowed for that user. I believe they can still see the other share names, but can't see anything within them. Note that by default devices are not assigned to a user, so can access everything. If you want the ability to control that initial access, you can uncheck the box on the console that automatically grants access to new devices. This is on the Status tab.

Note that you have to have the kids media in a folder that isn't within another shared folder, as that will over-ride the restriction of the user account.

Zip, if I have something incorrect here, please set me right.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:05 am

It's correct. Set a user for Renderer (ideally set up static IP to keep the setting for ever) and give the user rights to the shared folders.
<<

Laurenzis

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:37 pm

Thx for your explanation,

it works like explained and I have ordered my pro-Version by now ;)

Lauri

Return to Serviio Support & Help