FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio not showing up on Samsung TV with new ASUS router

<<

domrio

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:51 pm

Serviio not showing up on Samsung TV with new ASUS router

Hey there.

I recently changed my router to an ASUS DSL-N16 and Serviio has stopped showing up on my Samsung UE55MU6120.
Before changing router it was working just fine. I've applied static IPs to both the TV and my MacBook, which I stream from.
I've scoured these forums, messing with port forwarding, firewall settings, IPTV settings, you name it - but I just can't get it to show on the TV!

On Serviio, the TV does show up in the devices list with the little green circle, and the bound IP is that of my laptop.

I've reset all the router settings to start from scratch.

Please help!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:44 pm

Re: Serviio not showing up on Samsung TV with new ASUS route

Are either or both devices connected to the router via wireless or wired? For security reasons, some router will default to hiding internal wireless devices from each other, or even hiding the entire internal network. Since it (the router) is the only thing changed, the issue has to be a setting somewhere in the router. Make sure you're not using a "guest" wireless access, as that will absolutely block devices from seeing each other.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

domrio

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:11 pm

Hey, thanks for getting back.

Both devices are on connected wirelessly. I haven't set up any sort of guest stuff?
Could there be some setting on the router where I need to allow the TV to see the laptop?

Is there anything I could try regarding firewall settings or port settings?
Maybe I've missed something?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:38 am

Yes, there's certainly a setting in the router. I don't have any ASUS equipment, so I'm not familiar with what its setting pages look like. Check under both wireless and security. There should be something that refers to stealth mode, hide devices, so something similar.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

domrio

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:36 pm

What about IPTV settings?
It showed up last night when I messed about with some settings but now it's gone again!

Any ideas?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:44 pm

It's more likely that you might find something labeled uPnP, or Universal Plug & Play. That's what DLNA uses to advertise itself on your network.
Dan

<<

domrio

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:51 pm

UPnP is enabled. It showed up the other day but now it's done again and I haven't changed any settings :?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:51 pm

I have no other ideas. Something in the router is not set/working correctly, but without personal experience with that brand I can't say where to look. Sorry.

I do have to ask: is Serviio visible on any other device on your network? Does the Serviio console load, indicating it's running correctly? Can you access MediaBrowser? Could you upload your Serviio log to ensure it's not reporting any errors?
Dan

<<

domrio

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:48 pm

Right. I thought I may as well start from scratch.

I've completely reinstalled Serviio and no there are no devices showing up on the Status tab.
Do I need to open ports or something?
Would DMZ effect anything?
Would the router's firewall effect it?
What should my IPTV settings be?

As you can probably tell, I'm not exactly a master at all this...
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:48 pm

I have no experience with installing on a Mac, so I am of no help there. My experience is only with Windows and Linux, both of which required no special effort to open ports or anything. The fact that nothing is appearing in the device list on the Status page certainly appears to indicate that Serviio isn't seeing or being seen on your network.

Question: does your MacBook have more than one network connection? Since most laptops do, but usually only have one active at a time, Serviio will normally choose the active connection. But it's possible that it bound itself to the unconnected network device, and that would explain everything. At the bottom of the Status page in the console is the Network Settings. Normally it's set to Auto Detect. Click the box and instead choose your active network connection, then hit save at the bottom. Now see if Serviio is visible on your players, and if the devices list populates.

DMZ is usually for placing a server so it can be available on the public Internet. No reason to put a DLNA server there, as DLNA will not broadcast on the public Internet and in fact will be blocked by the routers out there.

The router's firewall is shielding your network from the public Internet. DLNA will not pass over the Internet, so your router firewall should not be an issue with your internal network communications. That said, as we have already discussed there are a number of settings within some routers that can mess with internal communications. But without having access to your router or the manual I have no idea what settings it might contain that are configurable by the user.

I don't know exactly what you mean by IPTV settings. There's no such setting within Serviio, and IPTV generally refers to TV streamed over a network, usually the Internet, not your local network.
Dan

<<

domrio

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:21 am

Hey, so it seems to be all sorted now!

Basically just reset everything and started from scratch: clean Serviio install, reset router, reset TV network settings.
All I'd say is if you change routers, just set it all up from scratch!

Really appreciate the help, though.
Thanks!

Return to Samsung