FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Font size of subtitles and position on screen

<<

NickJP

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:59 am

Font size of subtitles and position on screen

I have some mp4 video files with the subtitles in a separate vtt file. The subtitles display OK when I play the video from Serviio, but they're a) in too big a font size, and b) not close enough to the bottom of the screen, so that they get in the way of viewing the action. If I play the same mp4 and vtt on my PC with VLC, then the subtitles appear in a more suitable smaller size and are positioned closer to the bottom of the screen. How can I change the size and position of the subtitles in Serviio?

I'm running Serviio 1.10.1 on Raspbian Stretch.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:22 pm

Re: Font size of subtitles and position on screen

I'm fairly certain that your player has complete control of that. Serviio is simply sending the stream. The player has to decide how to display the information. I'm unfamiliar with a VTT file, but in an SRT file there's no ability to alter the text itself. From what I could find after a search, WebVTT files also have no support for such changes either, although it appears they do have support for Style Sheets (CSS), like an HTML page does. But that really requires a lot of effort to create those CSS pages and sync your captions file with it.

Now if you're referring to how they display when using MediaBroswer, then Zip will need to answer that question.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:03 pm

Re: Font size of subtitles and position on screen

seanhodg wrote:What player should I use?

Depends on what device you want to play to. Under Windows, VLC is an excellent choice. Kodi is designed to be a server, but I use it as a player on my Android devices. On iOS devices, either VLC or Infuse are good. For dedicated devices like Roku, you have to use the media player they provide.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help