FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How long before NAS installs are updated?

<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Fri May 08, 2020 10:53 pm

How long before NAS installs are updated?

I know there is a dedicated forum for NAS installs.

My question is about the history of how long does normally take for the NAS installs to get updated? I tried to contact the author months ago......zero response.

I know there are some minor changes because it's a Linux Kernel and uses different file methods, but the serviio core is still the same being written in Java.

Anyone know how long it takes for updates?

I'd like to get to 2.1. It's been weeks since it's been out and I don't see any way of updating it. The install itself is dependent on like one person...

Anyone know the history?

Thanks.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat May 09, 2020 1:47 am

Re: How long before NAS installs are updated?

Actually, 2.1 just went public a couple of days ago.

As to the NAS versions, since Zip doesn't maintain those it's up to the users that make the installs. If they aren't responding to you, perhaps they've lost interest, or had some life event that is interfering with them continuing the work. It appears Patters is the primary support person for the NAS installs, and he hasn't posted in a while. I do see that he logged in a few days ago, but not since 2.1 was released. So he may not even know it's available yet.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Fri May 15, 2020 10:37 am

Seems longer than that, I noticed the links up a while back...all 2.1 and NAS was 2.0.

This type of thing worries me for the future, since the only way the installer works is to pull from his single site....

I'm sure I could slip stream the files to updated it to 2.1 locally, but I am just worried about future installs.....there is no 2nd source to be able to install from new on a NAS if he goes south.

Hopefully it will be updated...still nothing as of yet.

Thx.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri May 15, 2020 2:54 pm

Yeah, Zip posted the announcement that 2.1 was available on May 7, but I think it was actually available on the home page a day or two before that. I imagine Zip has his hands full with making the Windows, Mac and Linux versions. I can't blame him for not handling the NAS builds as well. Since most NAS devices run some form of Linux, I imagine it's not too difficult to port. But my programming knowledge begins and ends with Visual Basic, and a touch of HTML/PHP. I tried learning Java, but it made my head hurt. :lol:
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Fri May 15, 2020 3:04 pm

I can do Java, C, C++, Csharp, python, & php but I don't know Linux that well. Most of the handlers are where I don't have enough info to be able to port it.

The files and paths are easy to take the new files and overwrite the old, it's the installer part that really needs to be broken out for understanding.

Not to be dark, but that person dies.....we NAS users are screwed.

That is why I'm asking/inquiring how we can get around this.

Not to ever discredit anyone's hard work......but like any industry, you can't have a single supplier......if they go tits up....everyone pays.

JMHO.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri May 15, 2020 8:11 pm

kittmaster wrote:
Not to ever discredit anyone's hard work......but like any industry, you can't have a single supplier......if they go tits up....everyone pays.

JMHO.

True statement. Of course, Serviio itself is a one-man operation. If Petr backs off (or God forbid something happens to him), Serviio is a goner.
Dan

<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:50 pm

Annnnnnnnnnd here we are months later and still no updates. Dude couldn't even take the time to answer a simple private message.

It would be nice to be able to get the downloader package and then see if the core files can be slipstreamed.
<<

Acetone

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:34 pm

Yes it would be nice to get the NAS updates quicker, but lets not forget these people are working on it for free and at this time may have far more important things to worry about.

I also disagree with the statement that we are screwed if they stop, why , my version 2.0 is working fine if there are no updates or Zip decided to pack it all in my version 2.0 will still be working fine. I have software that stopped being supported 6 years ago, still working fine no problems.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:10 pm

Acetone wrote:Yes it would be nice to get the NAS updates quicker, but lets not forget these people are working on it for free and at this time may have far more important things to worry about.

I also disagree with the statement that we are screwed if they stop, why , my version 2.0 is working fine if there are no updates or Zip decided to pack it all in my version 2.0 will still be working fine. I have software that stopped being supported 6 years ago, still working fine no problems.

Well, there are a few bugs in the 2.0 version that 2.1 has addressed. So it's a worthwhile update.
Dan

<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:32 pm

Acetone wrote:I also disagree with the statement that we are screwed if they stop, why , my version 2.0 is working fine if there are no updates or Zip decided to pack it all in my version 2.0 will still be working fine. I have software that stopped being supported 6 years ago, still working fine no problems.

When your NAS dies and can't rebuild the array....and for the sake of argument, patters is no longer around and neither is his website that downloads it to your NAS for installation.........tell me again how you reinstall it?
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:40 am

Anyone heard anything new on this?

It's been 5 months....figured it was time to revisit.

Return to Serviio Support & Help