FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

LG OLED65C9AUA Binge Watching Option

<<

dpaul1701

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:52 pm

LG OLED65C9AUA Binge Watching Option

This is my first LG TV (went with it for OLED) and when viewing episodic videos on Serviio source (DNLA connection, no app for LG...yet) the videos stop after each one is played. Is there a way I can get videos in the same source folder to play in sequence without stopping after each one? My previous Samsung TV did this without any configuration, my Samsung DVD player also does this without issue. Can't use my DVD player for playing 4K content though since it does not have a 5Ghz wireless connection (buffers otherwise). I changed the Serviio profile for the TV to LG TV this morning, but that did not do the trick. I am hoping that there is some other setting that will allow for this on LG TVs. Thank you, I look forward to your response.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:13 pm

Re: LG OLED65C9AUA Binge Watching Option

That's a player function. Nothing can be done from the Serviio side to make the play continuously. My best suggestion if that is something you really desire is to use an external player, such as a Roku, Fire TV, Nvidia Shield, or a Blu Ray player that supports DLNA. Frankly, the BD players seem to be getting worse and worse for DLNA support. My favorite is the Nvidia Shield (using Kodi as the player), since it can play anything without transcoding, supports all lossless audio codecs for bitstreaming to an AVR, and has played the captions for everything I've ever tried. The Roku is my second favorite, because of its simple to use interface, and with some transcoding plays everything I have. It isn't great for captions, though.

You also might look through the app store that supports your TV, and see if there's any other player apps available. Especially if VLC or Kodi are available, since they are highly configurable and I'm certain can be set to play continuously. My daughter and son-in-law have a large LG TV, and they do use the TV interface to play from Serviio. But I don't know if theirs will play continuously, or if there's a player setting that might enable it.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

dpaul1701

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:39 pm

SIGH ***...thanks Dan...Serviio plays on the LG without issue and also with no transcoding, it just doesn't automatically move to the next episode once the previous one completes. Guess I've just been used to my Samsung products...this is the first time in more than 10 years that I have moved away from Samsung. I don't suppose there's any chance that requesting a Serviio App for our devices would be an option that might be entertained...that might be a big ask given the number of different devices out there...but it would be nice as least for the leading devices, I imagine they're using similar, non-proprietary back-ends although I could be wrong, but Plex did it so...maybe...
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:53 pm

Yeah, app development isn't a trivial task. I tried creating a Serviio app for Roku devices. Even though I have some past experience with Visual Basic, I could never get it to even connect to Serviio, let alone actually show something.

I have two Samsung 4K TVs, but I never use the internal interface. Partially because I want the lossless audio tracks to play in my AVR, but mostly simply because they have a terrible user interface. All you get it the file name and the cover image. No other information is available about year, synopsis, or the other stuff you get used to with apps like Prime Video or Netflix. If you long press on a title, you can get some basic file info, but that's the limit. That's why I moved to Roku players many years ago, and more recently with the Nvidia Shield on my two 4K sets.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:17 am

Would a play list achieve what you are trying to do?
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:08 pm

If it won't play continuous, I'm not certain how a playlist would be any different. That said, things have worked before that I didn't feel had any chance of working, so it certainly can't hurt to try. :D
Dan

Return to LG