FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio library scan stops on error

<<

hunnypuppy

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:01 pm

Serviio library scan stops on error

Hi,

I've been a long time user and Serviio (thank you so much Petr for this awesome software!). I've recently noticed that the library doesn't keep itself updated so I searched the forums and then my logs and I think I found the issue.

I have one question and one request (bug fix).

1. Bug or Feature request - Serviio shouldn't stop scanning the library when it encounters an error with a file or folder. For example if the file or folder permissions isn't correct or there's a special character (like I seen with other posts on this forum), it would nice to have Serviio encasulate these errors in a try/catch or something similar and then move onto the next file or folder. Windows is always FOS and things happen from bad sectors to corrupt files to incorrect permissions and it would be nice it Serviio handled these gracefully. In my case below the logs show that there's a folder which seems to be giving Serviio grief and then it just stops there rather than moving onto the next file/folder.

2. Question - From my logs Serviio seems to be stuck on some directory called .sz_perm_chk. I can't seem to find any such file or directory in the folder. I'm on Windows 8.1. I've used windows explorer with display hidden/system files, I've searched it using a command prompt using the dir /ah and dir /as switches to look for hidden or system files/folders and there's no such file or folder. It appears that windows is returning this folder to Serviio when it asks windows to walk the directory but I can't see it, so my question is how do I locate this folder? (and as mentioned in point 1 it would be great if Serviio just skipped such errors and moved onto the next file or folder).

Code:
2020-11-25 09:44:11,120 WARN  [FileDeltaWatcher] There was an error while adding files from directory E:\English\.sz_perm_chk
java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: E:\English\.sz_perm_chk
   at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(WindowsException.java:83)
   at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:97)
   at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:102)
   at sun.nio.fs.WindowsDirectoryStream.<init>(WindowsDirectoryStream.java:86)
   at sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.newDirectoryStream(WindowsFileSystemProvider.java:518)
   at java.nio.file.Files.newDirectoryStream(Files.java:457)
   at java.nio.file.FileTreeWalker.visit(FileTreeWalker.java:300)
   at java.nio.file.FileTreeWalker.walk(FileTreeWalker.java:322)
   at java.nio.file.Files.walkFileTree(Files.java:2662)
   at java.nio.file.Files.walkFileTree(Files.java:2742)
   at org.serviio.library.local.indexing.watching.FileDeltaWatcher.addAllFilesInFolder(FileDeltaWatcher.java:322)
   at org.serviio.library.local.indexing.watching.FileDeltaWatcher.access$5(FileDeltaWatcher.java:319)
   at org.serviio.library.local.indexing.watching.FileDeltaWatcher$FileDeltaWatcherWorker.lambda$0(FileDeltaWatcher.java:447)
   at java.util.Optional.ifPresent(Optional.java:159)
   at org.serviio.library.local.indexing.watching.FileDeltaWatcher$FileDeltaWatcherWorker.run(FileDeltaWatcher.java:419)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
<<

hunnypuppy

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:57 pm

Re: Serviio library scan stops on error

Okay this happening again. For some reason this file
  Code:
.sz_perm_chk
keeps popping up in Serviios logs. I can't find it in explorer but then Serviio keeps running into an errors on this file and craps out. I've tried to delete and recreate the folder it works fine for a few days then then again this file pops up and Serviio errors out.
Peter is it possible to fix this issue and skip over files which can't be accessed instead of killing the entire scan? Open to any suggestions.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:00 pm

You might need to enable "View Hidden Files" to see it. On Windows 10, open Explorer, then click View on the tool bar. Towards the right side is a Show/Hide section and a box labeled Hidden Items. Put a check in that box and you should be able to find that file.

What that file is and where it came from, I can't say. I can't find any reference to it with an online search.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

hunnypuppy

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:38 pm

atc98092 wrote:You might need to enable "View Hidden Files" to see it. On Windows 10, open Explorer, then click View on the tool bar. Towards the right side is a Show/Hide section and a box labeled Hidden Items. Put a check in that box and you should be able to find that file.

What that file is and where it came from, I can't say. I can't find any reference to it with an online search.

I took a look in Windows explorer (hidden and system files turned on), I checked through the command prompt for hidden and system files. It doesn't exist! Any ideas? Could it possible to have Serviio ignore file errors instead to stopping?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:51 pm

Going to have to let ZIp answer that question.

Files with a leading dot in the name are often system files of some sort, and are often hidden as a protected file in Windows. There's a separate advanced setting to hide protected files in Windows Explorer, so you might have luck finding the file if you turn that off. I tried one more web search for that file name, and did get two hits. One relates to the Plex media server. However, I run Plex on the same computers as I run Serviio, using the same library folders, and I can't find a file by that name either.

It appears to be a file used by Python to determine the operating system being used on that computer. Plex uses Python, but I don't believe Serviio does. Python is a scripting language that is useful for numerous automated functions. Perhaps something else on your computer uses Python for some reason. But try unhiding protected system files and look again in your E:\English folder for that file. If you find I I'd move it somewhere else and see if everything works OK after that.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

hunnypuppy

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:17 pm

Thanks. Yeah I got the same results doing a search. I also have Plex installed in the same system (not for DLNA but for other purposes, I LOVE Serviio for DLNA hands down!). I also think Plex may be creating that file based on my google search.
I tried to create a brand new folder and manually copies the files from the English folder into it. It worked for a few days but then again the same error popped up and I can't find that file either. I've enable the option to show protected/system files, I even did a /A /H /D option from the command prompt but that file doesn't seem to exist but windows is handing it over to Serviio. I don't what Plex is doing but it appears to creating havoc with the filesystem. My only hope right now is that Serviio can ignore (do a try/catch or something) file access errors and move onto the next file if possible.

Return to Serviio Support & Help