FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Folder browsing (once more)

<<

svb

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:05 pm

Folder browsing (once more)

Hi, I've had the same issue as jibtga on 30th march and the same solution worked for me too (LE40C650). However, I can imagine a further improvement here. The "solution" (set main categories to "display category" at place of "display content") is in fact ruining the new advantage in 0.5.2 - skipping Serviio Audio/Video/Images menu. More precisely:
In 0.5.1 I've had all main categories set to "display content only" and all browsing possibilites turned off with exception of Folders, which were set to "display content only" (quite a common setup - as far as I can tell from browsing the forums). So I had to click through three levels: Samsung graphical menu Video / Audio / Pictures, then the same menu of Serviio (Audio / Video / Images) and then I've seen my movies.
0.5.2 removed the need of Serviio's own Audio/Video/Images menu by detecting the user choice in top-level Samsung graphical menu. When I've seen it in the changelog, I thought "wow, that's it, now I have as few clicks as possible!". However, by disabling the possibility of "display content" setting for main categories, we are back to three levels: Samsung graphical menu, main category (the only option Video) and then list of my movies. So, actually, 0.5.2 provides no move forward in this direction.

Is there some design reason why main categories have to be set to "display category"?

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about your work. I appreciate it very much and I almost can't believe the progress Serviio did during last year and few months, considering it is an effort of one developer working on it in his spare time only. I just wanted to point this out for the case you haven't noticed it yet.
If you don't think it is an important issue, please feel free to ignore me. I can easily live with 0.5.2 as it is, because even with this issue it is miles ahead of anything other.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: Folder browsing (once more)

yes if you want to use all the extras like subtitles and resume playback and FFWD and RWD then they have to be set like that or if you dont want any of them feature but u want it to work like 0.5.1 and just have the main catagories hidden, you can not have it both ways.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

svb

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:28 pm

I'm not sure if I expressed myself clearly. I'm not telling 0.5.2 is worse in this particular feature than 0.5.1, I'm just telling it isn't better, eventhough (according to change list) it might be expected to be better.
So no need to go back to 0.5.1.
Regarding "you can't have both", I don't understand your point. Are you suggesting that hiding main categories is someway related to subtitle support and other features? If it is so, please explain it more deeply, I thought these are completely isolated features.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:42 pm

svb wrote:However, by disabling the possibility of "display content" setting for main categories, we are back to three levels: Samsung graphical menu, main category (the only option Video) and then list of my movies. So, actually, 0.5.2 provides no move forward in this direction.

If that's the case then it's not right. Serviio's Video category should be replaced by Samsung's Video menu. Make sure you have Samsung C profile selected (must be profile from 0.5.2 release).
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:20 pm

svb wrote:I'm not sure if I expressed myself clearly. I'm not telling 0.5.2 is worse in this particular feature than 0.5.1, I'm just telling it isn't better, eventhough (according to change list) it might be expected to be better.
So no need to go back to 0.5.1.
Regarding "you can't have both", I don't understand your point. Are you suggesting that hiding main categories is someway related to subtitle support and other features? If it is so, please explain it more deeply, I thought these are completely isolated features.

Ok in the profiles.xml file in the samsung c series section there is a part that say " device description " if you remove that section from the xml file you then get serviio working like 0.5.1 did and you can " show contents only " on the main catagories BUT by doing this you loose other functions as they require this section to work..
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

svb

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:41 am

Thanks for reply. My English must be really terrible because it seems you cannot get my point. If needed, I can explain once more for Petr in Czech.
Nevertheless, I don't want to go back to 0.5.1 (as Cerberus suggested twice), everything other works fine (subtitles and so on) and this works fine too - it just isn't better than in 0.5.1, as I hoped.

Now Zip writes it should not be this way. I have Samsung C/D profile selected for my device so it seems I'm using correct profile - at least subtitles work now in 0.5.2 and they didn't work in 0.5.1.

So for the case my point is not clear from my first post, I'll try to explain once more in Czech:

V 0.5.1 fungovalo "zobrazit jen obsah kategorie" pro hlavní kategorie (Hudba/Obrázky/Videa), ale bylo nutné mít ještě vlastní selekci typu obsahu v Serviiu, takže postup vypadal takto:
Menu typu obsahu Samsungu -> Menu typu obsahu Serviia -> seznam filmů (protože hlavní kategorie i způsob procházení (Folders) byly "průhledné")
V 0.5.2 sice už není nutné mít vlastní menu typu obsahu Serviia, protože Serviio už teď dokáže nadetekovat, co uživatel vybral v menu typu obsahu Samsungu, ale zase zmizela možnost "zobrazit jen obsah kategorie" pro hlavní kategorie, takže postup má opět tři kroky, i když teď jiné:
Menu typu obsahu Samsungu -> Hlavní kategorie Video -> seznam filmů (protože hlavní kategorie jsou teď nastavené na "zobrazit kategorii").

Čili 0.5.2 není horší než 0.5.1, ale není v tomto směru ani lepší, přestože to vypadalo, že by mohla, když umí zjistit volbu uživatele v menu typu obsahu televize. Pokud by se podařilo odstranit problém, který způsobuje nemožnost volby "zobrazit jen obsah kategorie" pro hlavní kategorie, tak už by bylo vše super.

Hope it helps.
<<

zip

Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:27 pm

As I said, it seems to be a bug or something not quite right with your TV (or just different).

On my C series TV I have:

1) Samsung's Video menu
2) Contents of Serviio's Video category, i.e. Movies, Series, Folders

In your case it should be:

1) Samsung's Video menu
2) List of folders (as your Folders category is 'display content only')

Are you sure that the folder you're sharing is not called Video?
<<

svb

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:06 pm

Yes, you're right, my shared folder with videos is named Video. That confused me.
So the correct description is:
0.5.1. Samsung menu -> Main shared folder (selection from Audio/Video/Images) -> video folders
0.5.2. Samsung menu -> Main shared folder (Video available only) -> video folders

Now I see that the improvement from 0.5.1. to 0.5.2. is that Serviio now can detect which type of content I have selected in Samsung's menu and offer the appropriate main shared folders only.
So the workaround for me is obvious - do not share Video folder as main shared folder, but add all its subfolders (Movies, Series, TVshows, etc) as main shared folders. Then I will have the lowest-possible-depth-of-menu which I long for :-)

Thanks for patient explanation and sorry for misunderstanding. However, I think we have identified a point for possible improvement - main shared folders could have "display content only" option too. Having three shared folders at place of fifteen is more manageable and easier to maintain in case of change. But maybe it's just me who has the media organized this way. There would be no benefit if you have your shared folders spread over several drives or other distinct locations (and you already have fifteen shared folders for a reason).
<<

Jottle

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:59 pm

I have a samsung c630. I'd like to set up serviio so that I only have to navigate to the "video" option on my media player screen in order to see my video files streamed off of my mac. So far, I've had to enable "display content only" under "titles" in order to display any of my video files. This is hard to describe, but I believe I'm trying to do what the OP posted. I'm only sharing one folder that contains just video files. These are my current settings:

With my current settings, after I click the "video" icon in the samsung media menu, it displays the "titles" folder, which I then must navigate into in order to see all my movie files. What would I have to change in my settings in order to just see the video files after clicking the "video" icon in my samsung's media player menu? I tried changing the "video" option to "display content only," but that change makes it so that the samsung no longer sees any of the files in the "video" section of the media player menu.
<<

zip

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:47 am

Your settings look good to me and it should work as required, ie select Video on TV and see contents on the Titles category. Can someone replicate this?
<<

Daijoubu

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:28 pm

I have the same issue on my BD-C6500, all 3 main categories are set to Display Category, yet the mapping doesn't occur, I choose Video in the samsung menu and I still have to choose Video once more in the folders along with the 2 other folders
<<

zip

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:41 pm

I think there were problems with this particular player. Hopefully a future firmware will fix that.
<<

tif

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:32 am

I recently switched to 0.5.2 and wonder if I can reproduce this. LE37C650 here.

My current setup is:
  • Video: Show content only
  • Video - Folders: Show content only
  • Everything else: disabled

I have two folders added to the library, both contain only videos.

When opening the Video section of Samsungs media menu, the two folders are displayed (as they should). So I do not have any problems there.

So, what are the reasons for setting the main sections (Video/Audio/Images) to "Display category"? What problems arise when setting them to "Show content only"?
<<

zip

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:44 am

tif wrote:So, what are the reasons for setting the main sections (Video/Audio/Images) to "Display category"? What problems arise when setting them to "Show content only"?

The problem arises when you want to get back to the Samsungs Audio/Video/Images menu.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:57 pm

tif wrote:I recently switched to 0.5.2 and wonder if I can reproduce this. LE37C650 here.

My current setup is:
  • Video: Show content only
  • Video - Folders: Show content only
  • Everything else: disabled

I have two folders added to the library, both contain only videos.

When opening the Video section of Samsungs media menu, the two folders are displayed (as they should). So I do not have any problems there.

So, what are the reasons for setting the main sections (Video/Audio/Images) to "Display category"? What problems arise when setting them to "Show content only"?

Its a samsung limitation it has to be set like that. If you choose to ignore this advise then you do so at your own risk and you will be advised to change that as soon as you run into problems as the helpers and the staff here know this causes problems even if u THINK your are not experiencing them they are still there hiding just waiting to bite you in the backside when u least expect it.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

Jottle

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:01 pm

Is it possible to investigate the bug with some of the c series samsung sets in which "video" is set to "display category", and "title" is set to "display contents", but the video screen on the samsung media player still displays the "titles" folder and requires you to navigate into the "titles" folder even though titles is set to "display contents" only?
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:54 pm

Jottle wrote:Is it possible to investigate the bug with some of the c series samsung sets in which "video" is set to "display category", and "title" is set to "display contents", but the video screen on the samsung media player still displays the "titles" folder and requires you to navigate into the "titles" folder even though titles is set to "display contents" only?

EDIT - see ZIPs post below for a better explaination :)
Last edited by Cerberus on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

zip

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:52 pm

I think there are 2 issues here:

1. Some of Samsung devices (BD players, like c6500..?) do not support the integration that Serviio brought in 0.5.2, hopefully future firmware will fix that. That means that Selecting Video in Samsung's menu brings still Video category of Serviio instead merging these two into one (Samsung menu)

2. Video/Audio/Images Serviio categories must be set up as Display category, otherwise returning to the main Samsung menu is not possible (it's not fault of Samsung but the way Serviio integrates)

3. Any other problem might be a bug in Serviio and I'll try to fix them if they can be reproduced by more users.
<<

tif

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:48 am

Thanks a lot for the good explanations and keep up the good work!

Return to Samsung