FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Transcoding for LG BD570 player

<<

bobbygee

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:46 pm

Transcoding for LG BD570 player

I am new to transcoding and would like some help. First, some background. I have an extensive DVD collection and wanted them on a hard disk so that I could easily select the one I wanted to play. I started to use a program called MAKEMKV to rip my DVDs and tested them om my LG BD360 player and it worked fine, including subtitles, but it does not support NTFS format on its USB port, so files were limited to 4GB. It also does not support DLNA. So I upgraded(?) to an LG BD570C, and found out that my mkv files would not play at all. It played other mkv files but not mine. So I downloaded Serviio, and using the Generic profile, it also did not play my mkv files. Using the Samsung A profile it played about 80% of my mkv files. I edited the profiles.xml file like so:
  Code:
   <Profile id="14" name="LG BD570C BluRay player" extendsProfileId="1">
       <Transcoding>
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3">
            <Matches container="matroska" vCodec="mpeg2video" />
         </Video>
      </Transcoding>
   </Profile>

and it also plays the same 80% or so of my mkv files. My mkv files all use the mpeg2 video codec, the AC3 audio codec and VobSub for 1 subtitle track. Most of them play, but about 20% do not. If i run a file that does not play through TSMUXER with M2TS muxing output, the file plays fine, both natively and via Serviio. However, I lose subtitles.
As far as I understand, TSmuxer does not change the videao and audio streams, only places them in a different container from mkv. Does the above code not do the same thing?
Since all other mkv files play fine (except for subtitles) using the generic profile, I only want to transcode the mkv files that MAKEMKV generates by ripping a dvd. I could use a different program to rip my DVDs, but they all include compression which extends the 1/2 hour that Makemkv takes to about 6 hours per dvd.
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:25 am

Re: Transcoding for LG BD570 player

bobbygee wrote:... So I upgraded(?) to an LG BD570C, and found out that my mkv files would not play at all. It played other mkv files but not mine.

Could you provide detail information about mkv files that would not play and mkv files that played.
See signatures links (use MediaInfo Tools and "ffmpeg -i" command line).

bobbygee wrote: So I downloaded Serviio, and using the Generic profile, it also did not play my mkv files. Using the Samsung A profile it played about 80% of my mkv files.

The difference between Generic profile and Samsung with mkv file is:
Generic : mkv file were played in native format using video/x-matroska mime-type
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/x-matroska">MATROSKA</MediaFormatProfile>
SamsungA : mkv files were transcoded into MPEGTS/MPEG2/AC3 stream
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" targetVCodec="mpeg2video">
<Matches container="matroska" />
</Video>

bobbygee wrote: I edited the profiles.xml file like so:

Well, in fact your profile is similar to Samsung A for mkv, but are you sure that your LG player did not support mkv container or h264 video codec?
Could you have a look at this link: HOWTO: Provide supported formats of a device

bobbygee wrote:My mkv files all use the mpeg2 video codec, the AC3 audio codec and VobSub for 1 subtitle track.

MKV files usually use the h264 video codec and AAC or AC3 audio codec (MKV/H264,AVC/AAC,AC3), in fact usually MKV/MPEG2VIDEO/AC3 are not supported on DLNA devices.

bobbygee wrote:As far as I understand, TSmuxer does not change the videao and audio streams, only places them in a different container from mkv. Does the above code not do the same thing?

Yes, TSmuxer only remux/rewrappe codecs into different container, like ffmpeg/serviio could do.
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:03 pm

The LG devices had problems with transcoding, I'm surprised you can get some working ;-) You need to provide detailed log. Also DVD is already a mpeg2 video, there must be a program that will enable you to rip dvd into mpeg2 PS without losing quality.
<<

bobbygee

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:49 pm

Illico wrote
Could you provide detail information about mkv files that would not play and mkv files that played.

As I stated, all mkv files that do not play use the mpeg2 video codec, the AC3 audio codec, and VobSub subtitles, since they are ripped from DVDs with pass-through (no transcoding).

Illico wrote
Well, in fact your profile is similar to Samsung A for mkv, but are you sure that your LG player did not support mkv container or h264 video codec?

The player specs say it supports mkv, and mpeg2 codec. It does support mkv and mpeg2, BUT it does NOT support mpeg2 in mkv container. The LG BD360 does, but not the BD570.

From scouring the internet, I have come to the conclusion that there is NO WIFI player that supports mpeg2 video in an mkv container with a subtitle track. I will return the LG BD570C, bite the bullet and run a long (about 70 feet) ethernet cable to my living room. I will buy the WDTV Live box, since that reportedly supports my mkv files.
<<

bobbygee

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:58 pm

I returned the LG BD570C along with the D-Link DIR615 N 300 router with no hassles. (The wifi server worked great, no hiccups watching a 12GB 1080p movie in mkv container. I had tried the D-link N 150 router, and it could not keep up.) I bought the WD TV Live Plus, and installed a Cat5e cable and when I fired it up, I was surprised to see that it saw the Serviio server which I had left running. I have set the server to generic profile, and so far, everything plays fine. I can watch my ripped DVD library of Mpeg2 movies including subtitles in mkv container. The wired connection also works great, with no hiccups. I will be comparing the benefits of using the Serviio media server versus network shared folders to see which is better for me.

I must say, however, that the WD screen interface is not as nice as the LG or Samsung. It has thumbnail view, but the title is only displayed on the selected thumbnail. There are no thumbnails on folders, so it makes it hard to navigate, since you have to select it to see what it is. It also has preview where everything is in list view, and it automatically previews the selected item. This is OK for TV shows but useless for movies, since it starts at 0 position and displays opening scenes like 20th Century Fox or Disney logos or whatever and it takes about 4 minutes before you see the start of the actual movie.

I would like to thank the creators of Serviio for a wonderful product. I had tried Samsung's All Share, LG's Nero Media Home 4 and Mezzmo and like Serviio the best by far. I especially like the flagging of the TV episodes I had last watched. On the other servers I had to try an episode to know whether I had already watched it. Automatic updates of the library is also a nice feature, although it doesn't always work. I added a movie 2 days ago, and Serviio still has not updated. I even forced an update, but still nothing. I will try re-naming it to see if it sees it then.

Return to LG