FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Prevent hibernate/standby/sleep

<<

Dogg

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:59 pm

Prevent hibernate/standby/sleep

Hi,

Apologies if this has been requested before or if I'm missing a setting/simple workaround.

Can I suggest an option that will prevent Windows from entering standby mode when the server is actively playing media. e.g:

"Prevent standby if active playback in operation" checkbox.

Benefits for power saving and watching media in bed before sleep!

Thanks and great product.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:14 pm

Re: Prevent hibernate/standby/sleep

<<

kjricker

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:43 pm

I am looking forward to having this option in .6!
<<

zip

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:45 am

Try turning off automatic library checking.
<<

kjricker

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:25 pm

Has this option made it into the .6 betas? This is one feature I really need. MY 5 year old son is constantly getting mad at the TV for quitting his cartoons while he is watching them.
<<

zip

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:50 pm

no, it has not. set your PC up not to hibernate if it's on the power cord.
<<

kjricker

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:53 am

Well crap. Okay. I'll figure something out. I'd rather not leave it running all the time. With him in Kindergarten now, he doesn't have as much time to watch shows anyhow. I can use another app to monitor the network activity and prevent standby based on that.
<<

Dogg

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi kjricker,

I'd be interested if you found a work around for this.
<<

kjricker

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:43 pm

For a windows install try Shutter. Grab the beta. It has support for Network usage.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Definition of a server is a constantly running networked device so, to have it go to sleep defeats whole point of a server.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

kjricker

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:30 pm

Not really. The definition of a server is a computer that serves files on demand. If it can wake from standby to server the files when needed, then why not save power when you can. No reason to have a computer sucking down power when no one is home most of the day or while on vacation. If your using a PC with enough power to transcode media on demand, chances are it is not a low power PC.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:40 pm

kjricker wrote:Not really. The definition of a server is a computer that serves files on demand. If it can wake from standby to server the files when needed, then why not save power when you can. No reason to have a computer sucking down power when no one is home most of the day or while on vacation. If your using a PC with enough power to transcode media on demand, chances are it is not a low power PC.

no that would be a NAS.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

kjricker

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:07 pm

We'll just have to agree to disagree, or just disagree.

Regardless. If a computer is not doing anything I want it to go into standby. If it is doing something, wait 'til that is done, then go to standby. I know I am not alone in this. Whether this gets implemented in Serviio is up to Zip. I'll accept his decision either way.
<<

AeroSC

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:55 am

I'd like this feature as well. Other software (XBMC, Beyond TV) support this so it must be possible. I've looked for a standalone solution and haven't found anything that really addresses the issue. Shutter was suggested, but it can just force hibernation if network activity drops. I did find a DOS program that would intercept system hibernation requests and prevent them. Something like that could be incorporated based on server activity, but it's beyond my ability.
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:10 am

I found a way to do it on windows XP via java. I will see if I can figure out a way to do it in linux and mac

Code:
Introduction
This article shows how your Java (and C++) program can detect and refuse sleep/standby/hibernate requests made by the user or the system.

Background
I wrote an application that is fed by a special PCI card, and runs 24/7. We found that if the PC went into standby mode, the PCI card was falsely activated, which was really bad. There was no easy way to uniformly disable the sleep/standby/hibernate features in Windows XP. Therefore, I decided to use the Windows API to detect whether a standby request is made and refuse it. Luckily, the Win32 API has a message, called WM_POWERBROADCAST, that is sent to all applications when the PC wants to go into standby or hibernate mode. The win32 subsystem will abort the standby if you return BROADCAST_QUERY_DENY from this message handler.

By using this API, the enclosed code is able to detect whether the computer goes into standby mode and, through the utilization of JNI, notify the rest of the Java code about that event. Also, the code lets you allow or disallow the PC to enter standby mode.

Using the Code
To use the code from Java, simply instantiate a StandByDetector object and provide the constructor with a reference to a StandByRequestListener. The listener will be notified when a standby/hibernate request is made on the PC. Use the setAllowStandby() to tell the code whether or not you want to allow entering a standby. Remember that the DLL (enclosed) has to be in your java.library.path path. Here is an example:

StandByDetector sd=new StandByDetector(new StandByRequestListener() {
   public void standByRequested() {
      System.out.println("standby requested");
   }
});
sd.setAllowStandby(false);

Now try to put the PC in standby: Task manager->Shut Down->Stand By.
You will note that the cmd shell shows the message "standby requested" and the PC does not go

From http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/w-p/system/messagehandling/article.php/c6907
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:08 am

moltra wrote:I found a way to do it on windows XP via java. I will see if I can figure out a way to do it in linux and mac

Code:
Introduction
This article shows how your Java (and C++) program can detect and refuse sleep/standby/hibernate requests made by the user or the system.

Background
I wrote an application that is fed by a special PCI card, and runs 24/7. We found that if the PC went into standby mode, the PCI card was falsely activated, which was really bad. There was no easy way to uniformly disable the sleep/standby/hibernate features in Windows XP. Therefore, I decided to use the Windows API to detect whether a standby request is made and refuse it. Luckily, the Win32 API has a message, called WM_POWERBROADCAST, that is sent to all applications when the PC wants to go into standby or hibernate mode. The win32 subsystem will abort the standby if you return BROADCAST_QUERY_DENY from this message handler.

By using this API, the enclosed code is able to detect whether the computer goes into standby mode and, through the utilization of JNI, notify the rest of the Java code about that event. Also, the code lets you allow or disallow the PC to enter standby mode.

Using the Code
To use the code from Java, simply instantiate a StandByDetector object and provide the constructor with a reference to a StandByRequestListener. The listener will be notified when a standby/hibernate request is made on the PC. Use the setAllowStandby() to tell the code whether or not you want to allow entering a standby. Remember that the DLL (enclosed) has to be in your java.library.path path. Here is an example:

StandByDetector sd=new StandByDetector(new StandByRequestListener() {
   public void standByRequested() {
      System.out.println("standby requested");
   }
});
sd.setAllowStandby(false);

Now try to put the PC in standby: Task manager->Shut Down->Stand By.
You will note that the cmd shell shows the message "standby requested" and the PC does not go

From http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/w-p/system/messagehandling/article.php/c6907

if its java based it should work on all platforms :)
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

kairoh

DLNA master

Post Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:58 am

Cerberus wrote:if its java based it should work on all platforms :)

Not really because the code in article relies on JNI (java native interface) which is platform dependant.
This allows java programs to call library compiled in another language (DLL for Windows, some lib on Unix...).
Serviio WebUI console developer : New Homepage | Support | Project | Issues

Samsung UA32C6600 | WinXP / Ubuntu 11.10 | Samsung Galaxy S | Freebox v6
<<

dRdoS7

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:46 am

Hi,

New to Serviio, but I have used Shutter for several years. You could monitor network usage, but that may be low while browsing files or paused. I added a "ping" to the list of Shutter's events. This ensures the PC stays awake while the player is switched on.

Works well.

dRdoS7
<<

spelarn

Serviio newbie

Post Sat May 05, 2012 8:52 pm

RE: Prevent hibernate/standby/sleep

Looking for this feature as well. If anyone has a custom solution for this, then please share.
Drdos7, please let us know if your solution works.
<<

spelarn

Serviio newbie

Post Sun May 06, 2012 2:06 pm

RE: Prevent hibernate/standby/sleep

If there only is a service that goes active or changes mode once streaming start this issue could be fixed easily using tasks in win7....
Next

Return to Feature requests