FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

YouTube via BDP 670

<<

awaraarawa

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:48 pm

YouTube via BDP 670

Hi, I posted the question below in the YouTube plug-in thread and was advised that I might be spamming.....hopefully this is the right forum for this question....if not, could someone tell me where this belongs rather than being told that I could be spamming (which is not the intent)

I am having trouble streaming content via Serviio installed on my WHS v1 (Window Home Server) and viewed on a LG TV via LG BlueRay player BD 670....is this not a doable scenario OR am I missing something in the configuration/setup? The same setup streams photographs/audio/video content stored on the WHS without a problem. Would appreciate any advice on what I need to fix. Thanks.

---------------Previous post follows---------------
After installing the 6.0 version, I tried the most viewed YouTube sample URL and it seems to work.....a number of YouTube videos were listed for the URL (http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/stan ... time=today) listed. While I can view the YouTube results on my non-DLNA LG TV via a DLNA capable LG BD 670 blue ray player, I am having trouble playing them. This DLNA blue ray player is connected via Ethernet cable to my home network to which the WHS server is also connected. When I play the video, the result is quite bad, one frame a second - not quite a video.....extreme stutter would be an understatement.

Obviously, I am missing something in the configuration / setup. I manually entered the renderer profile and selected the LG TV / Player profile. Should I let the application discover the player rather than setting it up manually? Switching to a generic DLNA profile did not make any difference in the results either. The YouTube video plays fine on my laptop without a problem, so the issue is not with the video.....internet connection is fast and stable via cable internet @ around 18Mbps. However, the player appears to be having bad buffering issues. I have MPG videos and JPG photos on the WHS and they play fine via the same setup. So, streaming content from the WHS to the TV is not the issue. Why would the YouTube video channeled via the WHS have a buffering problem?

So, what am I missing with the Serviio configuration? I have changed the Preferred Online Content Quality to LOW from the default of MEDIUM but no change in the results.

Appreciate any assistance/suggestions to get this figured. Thanks.

PS: When adding a new URL for an online source, there is only one source type listed Online RSS/Atom feed.....should other options be showing up here? Is that what is missing?
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:41 am

Re: YouTube via BDP 670

please provide a ffmpeg -i info for a none playing file.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

awaraarawa

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:47 am

Sorry if this a very basic question but how do I generate a ffmpeg -i for a Youtube video stream?
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:41 am

turn on detailed log file then try and play the file, look in the log file for thr stream you tried to play and do " ffmpeg -i " on it that will give us the information we require.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

awaraarawa

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:47 am

Thanks for the guidance....am a noob in this space. :mrgreen:

I have attached three files for your review:
1. The ffmpeg -i information as requested - FFMPEG.txt;

Two additional files which may be useful :idea:
2. The output generated when FFMPEG was used to convert the downloaded file into an AVI - Convert.txt
3. The ffmpeg -i information for the converted AVI file - Test.txt

BTW, if needed, here's the URL for the file on YouTube (as listed in the Serviio.log file) which I have been trying to play....I have deliberately chosen a small file to test out the configuration before I dive into the deep end!

http://o-o.preferred.dfw06s08.v12.lscac ... 360500201a

If helpful, I can upload the full serviio.log file as well or a snippet of it. Thanks for the help.

Cheers!
Attachments
Test.txt
(1.09 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
Convert.txt
(10.36 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
FFMPEG.txt
(1.52 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
<<

awaraarawa

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:12 pm

Bumping the thread.....any suggestions on how I fix this problem would be appreciated. Apologies in advance if this is construed as spam....that is not the intention.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:32 pm

i left this one for ZIP as i understand there are a few issues with online feed he is working on.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

awaraarawa

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:39 pm

Thanks, Cerberus. I will look for guidance from ZIP. Do I need to alert ZIP?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:12 am

It's possible the player doesn't like h264 in mpegts for the streams. Try to copy OnlineConfiguration block from the Samsung B series profile to the LG profile and restart Serviio.
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:31 am

Code:
   <Profile id="8" name="LG TV / player" extendsProfileId="1">
      <Detection>
         <HttpHeaders>
            <friendlyName.dlna.org>LG.*</friendlyName.dlna.org>
         </HttpHeaders>
      </Detection>
      <MediaFormatProfiles>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/mp4" name="">AVI</MediaFormatProfile>
      </MediaFormatProfiles>       
      <SubtitlesMimeType>text/srt</SubtitlesMimeType>
      <Transcoding>         
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="mp3">
            <Matches container="matroska" aCodec="ac3" />
         </Video>
      </Transcoding>
      <OnlineTranscoding>
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="mp3" forceStereo="true">
            <Matches container="mp4" />
            <Matches container="flv" />
         </Video>
         <Audio targetContainer="lpcm">
            <Matches container="flv" />
         </Audio>
      </OnlineTranscoding>       
   </Profile>
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

awaraarawa

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:45 pm

Good news! :D

And need additional assistance! :oops:

ZIP, appreciate the time and help. As suggested, replacing the LG Online Configuration with the Samsung B Profile worked and the stream started to play fine....no CPU overhead noticed on the WHS, Audio and Video stayed in sync....BUT, the joy lasted about a minute and fifty seconds only. After that, very significant buffering and skipping with no steady streaming...waited for about a minute to see if it was temporary but unfortunately, it was not the case.

BTW, Illico, thanks for clue - I would not have figured what to look for without your post. So, Thanks!

ZIP, tried to see if this buffering and skipping issue was unique to a specific YouTube stream only.....unfortunately, that was not the case....the four or five different YouTube items I tried had the same issue - all of them took atleast a minute or so before they start to play....46 seconds was the earliest time frame before buffering and skipping started, 2 minutes was the longest time a stream played before skipping and buffering started. All of these streams were different levels of quality and resolution if that matters.

To recap, I am able to play these same streams on my laptop connected wirelessly to my Netgear router which is connected to a 10Mbps+ cable internet modem. Serviio setup is as follows: Serviio running on a Windows Home Server (WHS) connected via Ethernet cable to the same Netgear router which is connected to the same cable internet modem. The WHS server is connected via ethernet Cat5 cable to the LG BD 670 player.

PS: I have turned on DEBUG mode to capture a 13Mb log file and can upload if it helps.
<<

zip

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:11 pm

Ok, did you try selecting lower quality feeds in the console?
<<

awaraarawa

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:54 am

Hi Zip, I checked and it was set at MEDIUM. I changed the setting to LOW and saved it. Tried to play the video stream and the performance remained the same...the stream gets stuck at about the same place as it did when it was set to MEDIUM. Advise options. Thanks.
<<

zip

Post Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:43 am

Check the Serviio transcoding folder to see if the file has been downloaded in full - try to play it in VLC.
<<

awaraarawa

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:34 pm

ZIP, there are no files in the transcoding folder. Should I see something there? Perhaps, there are no files in the folder because the LG player has native support for YouTube streams?

The 'Enable Transcoding' option has been turned ON via the check box, the number of CPU cores is set to 2 and the Audio Channels under Video Setting has been set to Downmix to Stereo.

Something else I should look for?
<<

zip

Post Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:49 pm

Online feeds are always transcoded, for all profiles. So it should be there.
<<

awaraarawa

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:08 pm

Hmmm....I understand what you are advising....but that begs the question - how am I am able to play a minute or two of the stream without any transcoding being done? No files listed in the transcoding folder - before, during OR after!

Perhaps, it being done on the fly before it runs out steam and thus the skipping and buffering? Interestingly, there is no change in CPU utilization during the entire process i.e. the start of the play to when the skipping/buffering starts....this particular item is a TOP 10 type of listing on YouTube. Let me test it with a single individual item and see if that works out any better.

Zip, thanks a bunch for your patience and for the time you have taken to assist.

Cheers!

Return to LG