FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Step by Step: create a Serviio - FreeNAS server

<<

Steph1391

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:45 pm

Step by Step: create a Serviio - FreeNAS server

Hi all,

Serviio is really the best DLNA software I found, but I didn't want to let open my window computer all day to act as a server. We nearly all have a old computer (old laptop) that is not in use anymore. Why not transform it into a media Server ? The Team FreeNAS and Serviio can fill this need very well.

First of all, i'm really a beginner in Unix-Linus things. So for me it was not simple to install all those software, often without a graphical interface. It took me a lot of time but now that it works, I would like to share this with you. So this is a step by step guide, for people that know nothing.

Before starting, I would like to say that this is more or less a resume of many other posts coming from this forum (thanks to DBoy, Zip, PerryHome, fafa, westlake12,...).

The first step is to install FreeNAS on your old computer . Warning: this will erase all your data !. So be sure to backup everything you want to keep. If you already have a FreeNAS server that it setup, pass this section, but take care that your domain name finishes by ".com"

Burn the FreeNAS 7 installation CD from the ISO file found on FreeNAS website
Wire Connect the computer to the network
Boot from your cd/dvd drive

Type 9: Install/Upgrade to Hard drive
Choose 3: Install full OS on HDD
accept the warning => ok
Make sure you select your cd/dvd drive
Select the hard drive were to install FreeNAS
Select the OS partition size ( I used 1000 MB)
Refuse to add a swap partition
wait a little bit for installation and then leave the « Install & Upgrade » menu
Shut down the system and restart it

choose option 2: Set LAN IP address
Select Yes for the DHCP protocole and No for the Ipv6 protocole
Note that often, if you have many network cards like a Wifi card and standard cable network port, you may need first to assign an interface (menu option 1) , choose the one you use and then retry the Set LAN IP address step (if you don't know wich interface is wich is, try them all until it works)

Then note your IP address that will be used a lot later, for the Web interface
Last edited by Steph1391 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Steph1391

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:46 pm

Re: Step by Step: create a Serviio - FreeNAS server

Setup FreeNAS

Many thing can be done on FreeNAS. I will concentrate only on what will be usefull for Serviio.

With another computer, connect to your FreeNAS IP address (mine is 192.168.0.100) by typing it in a browser.

Then use « admin » as username and « freenas » as password. You're now in FreeNAS !
First thing, I really encourage you to change the password. For that, go to System/General and click on the « password » tab.

After that, go to System/General. There you can change the server name, but more importantly you must change the domain name so it finishes with « .com ». In my case, it is « local.com ». That is needed for Serviio. When done, click on « Save » at the screen bottom

Then you need to mount your hardrive. Fist go to Disk/Management. Click on the « + » sign. Under « Disk » you should see your hdd. If not, select it (for example, mine is ad0). Near the bottom, select UFS as format type. Finally press on « add » at screen bottom, then click on « apply change ».

After Go do Disk/Mount Point. Click on the « + » sign, Under « Disk » choose your disk (mine is ad0:...). Give it a mount point name (I used « Data »). Choose UFS as file system and MBR as partition type Choose partition number « 2 ». Then click on
« save » then « Apply changes »

Now we will make you FreeNAS system visible to windows. Go to Services/ CIFS/SMB. Near the top right of the window, there is a « enable » checkbox. Click on it. Then give your server a name under NetBios Name. Also, very important, assure your windows workgroup is the same as written in the « Workgroup » box (Check System properties in windows). Then click on save & restart.

Click on the « Share » tab. Give a name to the share, as « Files », add a comment like «FreeNAS» and then browse the Path to select « Data ». Press on « Add » button.

Now reboot your FreeNAS system. When done, just type « \\name_of_your_server » and you should see a folder available. In my case I type \\Serveur and I see my « Files » folder.

We will have to write a lot in FreeNAS but that is not super friendly. One easier way is to install « Putty ». You can go there to get it: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta ... nload.html
Then you have to activated SSH service. In your FreeNAS browser window, go to Services/SSH. Check the top righ « Enable » box . Also click on « Specifies whether it is allowed to login as superuser (root) directly »  box, then « save & restart ».

You can launch Putty and give it your IP adress (mine is 196.168.0.100). Log as « root » and enter your FreeNAS password

FreeNAS setup is finished for now. But if you want, you can add other services and/or hard drive to your system. Many sites on internet will cover that.
<<

Steph1391

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:47 pm

Now it's time to install Serviio.

We'll need to download some files on your window machine.
First dowload Serviio. Choose the Linux build. I will install the 0.6 version, so the dowloaded file is serviio-0.6-linux.tar.gz.

I will need also to download Java for FreeBSD (on which freenas 7 is based on). So go there http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml and get the end-user JRE package for FreeBSD 7 that is for you (depends of your processor, if it is intel or amd64). I have a pentium M processor, so I got the diablo-jre-freebsd7.i386.1.6.0.07.02.tbz file

finally we'll need to get a new servio.sh file. First Download the attached .txt file. With notepad open it and find a place were an IP address appear. Change the IP address so it fits with you FreeNAS address. Save the text file.

Then we will have to copy the files in FreeNAS main partition. The first step is to copy them to your windows accessible partition. In window, open your server shared files (\\your_server name) and copy there the 3 dowloaded files.

Now use the file manager situated in your WebGUI: Access your FreeNAS from your browser (insert your Freenas IP address and log), go to Advance/File manager and log using the «admin » username and your password. Now you can see the file manager inteface

Click on « mnt » then on the name of your mtn (mine is « Data »). You should see the 3 files you just downloaded. Select all of them by clicking on their checkbox and click on the « move » icône. This icône is situation just above the list of files. It looks like a mini white page. When you put your mouse on this, a « move » bubble should appears. Now we need to say where to move those files. We want them in the root. Click on the green arrow, click again on the green arrow, then click on move. Your file have been moved from the files folder to the root of your hardrive.

Now we have to install files. Open putty and log yourself as root. We will work from putty window. The interesting thing with putty is that yo can copy paste. Copy the line from any window and in putty right-click. All this is Unix, so we'll need to use Unix commands. This is like using DOS command, but the command themself are different.

First look if your files are there. Type « ls » you should see our 3 files:
diablo-jre-freebsd7.i386.1.6.0.07.02.tbz
serviio-0.6-linux.tar.gz
serviio.txt
If not, come back and do again the download and move steps.

From putty, launch those line one after they other, keeping this order

if you have a intel-based processor:
setenv PACKAGESITE ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7-stable/Latest/

if you have a amd system:
setenv PACKAGESITE ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-7-stable/Latest/

and in both case:

cd /
pkg_add -v -r xtrans
pkg_add -v -r xproto
pkg_add -v -r xextproto
pkg_add -v -r javavmwrapper
pkg_add -v -r ffmpeg
pkg_add -v diablo-jre-freebsd7.i386.1.6.0.07.02.tbz

From the Web UI, move the serviio-0.6-linux.tar.gz file to the « home » folder.

In putty, type « cd home ». Then lunch Servvio extraction with:
tar xvfz serviio-0.6-linux.tar.gz

From the WebUI again, copy the serviio.txt file to the « /home/serviio-0.6/bin » folder.

In putty, you should still be in « home » folder. So type « cd serviio-0.6-bin ». Now, if you type « ls » you should see appearing:

serviio-console.sh serviio.sh serviio.txt

now we will replace the serviio.sh file with the serviio.txt file, but changing the extension of the last.
First rename the original file: « mv serviio.sh serviio.shoriginal »
Then rename the txt file:
« mv serviio.txt serviio.sh »

make the new .sh file as exectutable:
« chmod 777 serviio.sh »

now launch serviio
« sh serviio.sh »

wait couple of minutes. Now if you open a DLNA client (as your TV, or window media server), you should be able to see Serviio in the list of server.

It could be interestiing to tell freenas to launch serviio after a reboot. For so (Using the Freenas WebUI):

Click System > Advanced
Click on the "Command Scripts" tab
Click the "+" sign to add a new command script
Add this line: sh /home/serviio-0.6/bin/serviio.sh (or modify if you have serviio.sh located in a different directory)
Use the pulldown menu and set it to run "PostInit" (meaning after Freenas boots).

The last thing that needs to be done is to setup the Serviio console (the software that permit to manage your media files). Download on your windows (or mac or linux...) computer the Serviio software and launch the installation. When asked, select to install the console only.

You will need to tell to the console where is your server. For that, open in Notepad the « ServiioConsole.exe.vmoptions » file (default path in windows is /ProgramFiles (x86)/Serviio/bin)

add this line:
-Dserviio.remoteHost=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (the last part is the IP adresse ex: 192.168.0.100)

Now you can start the Console from the start menu. Is is possible it takes couples on minute before you see a small Serviio icon in the system tray. Then, by right-clicking on it and opening the console, you will be able tell Serviio where are your files, and what type of DLNA client you have.

Last thing, when telling the path of your media file, use /mnt/Data/name_of_your_folder. Don't use the « Add local » button but only « Add path ».

Enjoy your new free DLNA server. And by the way, you can use your FreeNas server for many other thing, like backuping your important files !
Attachments
serviio.txt
(2.62 KiB) Downloaded 2153 times
Last edited by Steph1391 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

ken_z71

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:52 am

Thanks for summarizing all the prior posts, they were a challenge to sort through. Still can't get the console to start.

I see the server running from my TV however I can't get the console running on a windows machine.

The FreeNAS box has been running for at least 6 months, works great as a NAS.

FreeNAS box is running serviio-0.5.2.
Windows Vista machine is running serviio-0.6.0.1

Windows log file has this:

2011-10-05 00:47:51,332 INFO [ServiioConsole] Starting Serviio Console
2011-10-05 00:47:51,414 INFO [ServiioConsole] Connecting to Serviio REST on localhost:23423
2011-10-05 00:47:59,117 WARN [ServiioConsole] Cannot connect to the server to get DB initialization info
2011-10-05 00:48:06,356 WARN [ServiioConsole] Cannot connect to server: Communication Error (1001) - Connection refused: connect
2011-10-05 00:48:06,434 INFO [Messages] Loaded console message bundle for locale: en
2011-10-05 00:48:13,563 WARN [ServiioConsole] Cannot connect to server: Communication Error (1001) - Connection refused: connect
2011-10-05 00:48:17,447 INFO [ServiioConsole] Leaving Serviio Console

I have tried to change the NAS domain from blank to nas.com neither works. Any suggestions??

Thanks!!!!
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:00 am

server and console versions must match or it wont work..
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

ken_z71

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:12 am

Awesome, much better!

I can view pictures, listen to music but movies still don't show up. The Genre, producer, actors, etc are being populated but the movies don't show.

We are close!
<<

maltmoose

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:22 pm

Will this guide work if i try to install it to a USB stick instead of a hard drive?

Thanks
<<

ken_z71

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:12 pm

In the stock unaltered state no the USB stick don't support extra add ons as it only allocates something like 2GB of the stick. The rest is left empty.

I thought someone came up with a way to use the entire USB stick. I will be looking for that myself as my OS hard drive crashed.

I did see some comments indicating the USB sticks don't last very long if used for frequent read / writes. So we could be out of luck.
<<

maltmoose

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:38 pm

Thanks Ken but what add ons are you thinking about, also the limit of the partion in the guide only set a 1gb size so surley having a 2gb limit is not going to be an issue?
I'm fairly far out on a tightrope with my questions as i dont have much linux/freenas experience.

The read/write issue wouldnt surprise me but guess you could just keep a clone on a backup usb device as they so cheap.
<<

ken_z71

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:22 pm

Addons: serviio, couchpotato, sickbeard, etc. Cool software you may add to freenas to extend its functionality.

As for keeping a spare USB stick after 2 or 3 you mind as well buy a small hard drive and skip the reinstall hassle / down time.

Given that I was fighting with ffmpeg issues in serviio for months I am considering going with a WD Live Hub as it promises the same functionality of serviio without the hassle. Will see if the promise is hype of fact.
<<

maltmoose

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:33 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for this guide and help, i now have my HP microserver running with freenas 7 and serviio from a 4gb USB its a verbatim store and go for £5 from robert dyas.. partitioned to 2gb, so far so good.

I do have a few problems that i dont seem to be able to iron out, so will be back soon
<<

dboy

Serviio lover

Post Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:35 pm

First, thanks Steph for summarizing our earlier work getting Serviio to work in FreeNAS.

I needed to upgrade ffmpeg and ran into problems I could not handle and so started all over.

-Installed latest FreeNAS 0.7.2.8191
-Installed ffmpeg 0.7.6.1

This means I did things in the "wrong order". So maybe the pkg_add process actually installed some of the packages below, as we shall see.

Then, I found out that 0.7.3 stable files (the FreeBSD version that FreeNAS 0.7.2.8191 is based on) is not yet released, so it does not work to just write
pkg_add -v -r xtrans
Instead I downloaded all the versions for release 0.7 stable to my FreeNAS from here ( I had a little trouble finding these...)
http://ftp.netbsd.se/FreeBSD/ports/amd6 ... table/All/

So, I downloaded xtrans, xproto, xextproto, javavmwrapper and ffmpeg

And then, instead of using the -r (remote) switch (that downloads from the 0.7.3 site, that does not exist) I used the files themselves
then
pkg_add -v xtrans-1.2.6.tbz
This seemed to work ok, It said a dependency was already installed, should be ok I guess

pkg_add -v xproto
This was already installed.
  Code:
"freenas:/tmp# pkg_add -v xproto-7.0.22.tbz
Requested space: 269K bytes, free space: 8722M bytes in /var/tmp/instmp.VsrOET
pkg_add: package 'xproto-7.0.22' or its older version already installed
pkg_add: 1 package addition(s) failed"

Should be ok.

pkg_add -v xextproto-7.2.0.tbz
was already installed
  Code:
"freenas:/tmp# pkg_add -v xextproto-7.2.0.tbz
Requested space: 92K bytes, free space: 8722M bytes in /var/tmp/instmp.ZTrLiR
pkg_add: package 'xextproto-7.2.0' or its older version already installed
pkg_add: 1 package addition(s) failed"

Should be ok

pkg_add -v javavmwrapper
Installed fine

Then java...

Code:
"Running post-install for diablo-jre-1.6.0.07.02..
Attempting to record package into /var/db/pkg/diablo-jre-1.6.0.07.02..
Trying to record dependency on package 'xtrans-1.0.4' with 'x11/xtrans' origin.
Trying to record dependency on package 'xproto-7.0.10_1' with 'x11/xproto' origi                                                                                                             n.
Trying to record dependency on package 'xextproto-7.0.2' with 'x11/xextproto' or                                                                                                             igin.
Trying to record dependency on package 'javavmwrapper-2.3.2' with 'java/javavmwr                                                                                                             apper' origin.
pkg_add: warning: package 'diablo-jre-1.6.0.07.02' requires 'xtrans-1.0.4', but                                                                                                              'xtrans-1.2.6' is installed
pkg_add: warning: package 'diablo-jre-1.6.0.07.02' requires 'xproto-7.0.10_1', b                                                                                                             ut 'xproto-7.0.22' is installed
pkg_add: warning: package 'diablo-jre-1.6.0.07.02' requires 'xextproto-7.0.2', b                                                                                                             ut 'xextproto-7.2.0' is installed
pkg_add: warning: package 'diablo-jre-1.6.0.07.02' requires 'javavmwrapper-2.3.2                                                                                                             ', but 'javavmwrapper-2.3.5' is installed
Package diablo-jre-1.6.0.07.02 registered in /var/db/pkg/diablo-jre-1.6.0.07.02
"

This looks worrying, but I just went ahead and installed serviio
tar xvf ./serviio-0.6.0.1
exchanged the serviio.sh with serviio.txt and changed to my IP adress in it.
mv serviio.sh serviio.sh.orig
mv serviio.txt serviio.sh

then
chmod 777 serviio.sh
and finally a trial start:
./serviio.sh

It seems to start ok...

To summarize:
Allthough the latest FressNAS is based on a FreeBSD that for some reason does not seemed to have been released the ad hoc procedure above seem to work.
<<

maltmoose

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:44 pm

Thought i'd post back as i had the same experience as dboy, however i found another solution other than manually downloading the packages as the original pkg_add way doesnt work on the latest amd64 version.

The below ftp allows you to use setenv before the pkg_add then it will download and install them for you as originally described.
I had a few warning on the version being newer but it all seemed to work ok

setenv PACKAGESITE ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports ... le/Latest/

Word of warning to you all, i have to now reinstall as my usb stick got corrupt. i think it was the config.xml according to the warnings but no way to access or restore as errrmmm i hadnt yet backed it up!
Last edited by maltmoose on Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

dboy

Serviio lover

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:44 am

Your solution using
  Code:
setenv PACKAGESITE ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports ... le/Latest/

is more elegant, I kind of just wanted to be in full control this time

Regarding instaling on a stick:
Doesn't using a USB stick for serviio mean you will incur heaps of read/writes that will eventually destroy the USB stick?

I used a full install to circumvent this.
<<

maltmoose

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:36 pm

Just a quick update s i've reinstalled my usb drive again used the above ftp and reinstalled serviio however this time i did not copy over the new serviio.sh or amend it. Basically i used the one serviio installed as default and guess what it works just fine with the below freenas version.
I've tested it on mp3, flac and various video formats.

Version: 0.7.2
Revision: 8191
Platform: amd64-full
Serviio: 0.6.0.1

Regarding instaling on a stick:
Doesn't using a USB stick for serviio mean you will incur heaps of read/writes that will eventually destroy the USB stick?
I used a full install to circumvent this.

i dont know, seems lots of people starting to use usb drives for various things, mine allready corupted so you could be right but i'll give it a shot, if it keeps corupting then its back to hard disk, but i'm going to try find a way to clone my usb install and hdd if i end up going that way, saves all this faffing reinstalling and readding the files to serviio database.
I am using a full install though but on usb.
<<

dboy

Serviio lover

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Well, it is no problem making a full install on two separate harddrives including serviio and all the stuff it depends on.
Then the only thing needed is to backup the FreenAS on the first and restore on the second and you will have two working systems.
The only thing remaining would be the database for Serviio. I just had my system rebuild it from scratch.

Zip, if you are reading:
Would it be possible to put the data directory on the data drive on the NAS instead of the system drive?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:39 pm

dboy wrote:Zip, if you are reading:
Would it be possible to put the data directory on the data drive on the NAS instead of the system drive?

You can specify system property derby.system.home like
  Code:
-Dderby.system.home=/some/path/library

http://www.serviio.org/index.php?option ... icle&id=43
<<

tibo31

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:09 pm

Hello,

I tried to follow all the steps, but when i get to the last step "sh serviio.sh" i got this:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/restlet/ext/gson/GsonRepresentation
at org.serviio.ui.restlet.RestletServer.runServer(RestletServer.java:68)
at org.serviio.MediaServer.main(MediaServer.java:100)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.restlet.ext.gson.GsonRepresentation
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:200)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:276)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:319)
... 2 more

I have Freenas 0.7.2 Sabanda (revision 5266) running

Thanks,
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:27 am

You're missing some .jar files in your classpath. These were added in 0.6, maybe your original guide was for 0.5. Basically add all .jar files from the lib folder into the classpath variable in your script.
<<

crpd

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:05 am

Hi all,
I'm a newbie to freenas / serviio, followed the step by step and all seemed to worked great (thanks for the instructions) however I can stream images, but videos and music will not show. I checked the serviio log and there is no mention of adding the music or the videos. It shows the share on the tv but when I select it it says no playable files, and does not show sub directories.
Any help, appreciated
Next

Return to NAS installation