FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

LG BD390 issue

<<

TheShanMan

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:54 am

LG BD390 issue

I have a couple of video files which seem to be very similar, in terms of container and codecs at least. But one plays and one doesn't. The one that doesn't is a 1080p video, and the TV I have this player hooked to is 720. Would that explain it? Basically, the player acts like it's starting to play the video for about a second or so, and then just returns to the menu without an error or anything.

I've done a little reading on LG and it appears their DLNA support is poor. Is this just a matter of setting up better transcoding? Heck, I'd be happy letting my PC transcode everything if it meant feeling reassured that the chances of having to deal with a file that won't play are low.

And in the case of this video in particular, do I need to get serviio to drop it down to 1080 to 720, and if so, how?

While I know xml and am somewhat familiar with codecs, containers, etc. I really don't have a good understanding of all this profile stuff.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:28 am

Re: LG BD390 issue

TheShanMan wrote:I've done a little reading on LG and it appears their DLNA support is poor. Is this just a matter of setting up better transcoding? Heck, I'd be happy letting my PC transcode everything if it meant feeling reassured that the chances of having to deal with a file that won't play are low.

I wish it was that simple but sadly LG device dont like transcoded files so even transcoding wont work.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

TheShanMan

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:24 am

I'm sorry for being slow, but I still don't get it. There is a format the player likes obviously, so if serviio is configured to transcode to that format, how would the player know any different? Wouldn't it essentially be the same thing as converting the file itself to a different format, and then giving it to serviio instead of the original "incompatible" file?

And are you essentially saying that there is nothing that can be configured on the serviio side that will cause playback on this player to succeed (or fail)? Configuring the profile has no effect on anything?

Is there a list of what LG in general, or this player in particular, can play?
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:20 am

TheShanMan wrote:I'm sorry for being slow, but I still don't get it. There is a format the player likes obviously, so if serviio is configured to transcode to that format, how would the player know any different? Wouldn't it essentially be the same thing as converting the file itself to a different format, and then giving it to serviio instead of the original "incompatible" file?

nope its sent differently if transcode or native.

And are you essentially saying that there is nothing that can be configured on the serviio side that will cause playback on this player to succeed (or fail)? Configuring the profile has no effect on anything?

nope LG support is just so bad its unusable.

Is there a list of what LG in general, or this player in particular, can play?

http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=dev ... at_support
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

eclp

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:10 am

The LG-BD390 does not need a DLNA server. This renderer is one of the best streaming player.
The 390 supports mkv movies natively, you need to transcode anything. Many other video formats are supported. What exactly to look.

To stream with the player you need to activate the Windows folder sharing. Also important is the award of an administrator's password on Windows.

Let me know if you need further assistance or information.
<<

TheShanMan

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:27 pm

Cerberus wrote:http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=devices_format_support

I saw that yesterday, although I really couldn't tell what I was looking at.

eclp wrote:The LG-BD390 does not need a DLNA server. This renderer is one of the best streaming player.
The 390 supports mkv movies natively, you need to transcode anything. Many other video formats are supported. What exactly to look.

To stream with the player you need to activate the Windows folder sharing. Also important is the award of an administrator's password on Windows.

Let me know if you need further assistance or information.

I realized it has this feature although it hasn't worked for me so far. It shows me computer names but not shares with permissions set for "Everyone". I guess I'll have to look into this a little further to see if I can get it working better than DLNA.

Thanks for the help!
<<

eclp

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:00 pm

LG-BD390 - Windows 7 64bit STREAMING without DLNA.
Here is a guide how it works 100% (with administrator / default account for the home network connection):

1. Disable in Folder Options / View / Sharing Wizard (This step simultaneously activated password protected sharing in the advanced sharing settings. What needs to be deactivated again --> more on that later).

2. Sharing folders: right click on folder / properties / extended release: hook set, release add.

2a. Add Accounts "Everyone" Allow: Read, "Administrators" Allow everything.

3. Set file system permissions (NTFS): Right click on folder / properties / security

3a. Add Accounts:
Here at least the following three accounts are:
- "Everyone": three hook ... read folder contents .. read
- "Control": please delete all except the lowest.
- "Administrators": please delete all except the lowest.

4. Netzwerk and Sharing Center / Advanced sharing settings:
- Profile: Home or Work

turn on: Network discovery, file and printer sharing, file share connections 128bit, home network groups (enable Manage ... ..) compounds

turn off: Public folder sharing, media streaming (DLNA =), enable password-protected (usually the problem-maker)

5. When BD390 with your administrator or standard account and password.

:)
<<

TheShanMan

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:45 pm

Appreciate the help. I am trying to translate it as best as I can for Windows 2003 Server (and it's a domain environment FWIW)...

eclp wrote:LG-BD390 - Windows 7 64bit STREAMING without DLNA.
Here is a guide how it works 100% (with administrator / default account for the home network connection):

1. Disable in Folder Options / View / Sharing Wizard (This step simultaneously activated password protected sharing in the advanced sharing settings. What needs to be deactivated again --> more on that later).

I think this is irrelevant in my environment because there is no "sharing wizard" in 2003 server.

eclp wrote:2. Sharing folders: right click on folder / properties / extended release: hook set, release add.

No idea what "extended release: hook set, release add" means.

eclp wrote:2a. Add Accounts "Everyone" Allow: Read, "Administrators" Allow everything.

Done.

eclp wrote:3. Set file system permissions (NTFS): Right click on folder / properties / security

3a. Add Accounts:
- "Everyone": three hook ... read folder contents .. read
- "Control": please delete all except the lowest.
- "Administrators": please delete all except the lowest.

Done, except I have no idea what "control" is. I don't recall ever seeing that user before, and windows complains when I try to add it. Also, I'm assuming that "all except the lowest" basically means read only, although I can't imagine that having it set to "full" for admins would be a problem.

eclp wrote:4. Netzwerk and Sharing Center / Advanced sharing settings:
- Profile: Home or Work

turn on: Network discovery, file and printer sharing, file share connections 128bit, home network groups (enable Manage ... ..) compounds

turn off: Public folder sharing, media streaming (DLNA =), enable password-protected (usually the problem-maker)

Again, I think this is irrelevant in 2003 server, and I'm assuming that the part about turning off streaming doesn't mean serviio needs to be turned off too.

eclp wrote:5. When BD390 with your administrator or standard account and password.

My player only shows the computer name, not the share. :(
<<

eclp

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:04 pm

Sorry my bad English :?

2. Sharing folders:
- Right click on folder properties
- Advanced Sharing: set hook,
- Add share.

2a.
Add Accounts:
- "Everyone" read only;
- "Administrators" Allow all

3a.
Add Accounts:
- "Everyone": three hooks: ... read .. read folder contents;
- "System": all hook, not the bottom
- "Administrators": all hook, not the bottom..

I do not work for Windows Server 2003. These instructions worked perfectly with Windows 7 64bit.
<<

TheShanMan

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:49 pm

No problem. I appreciate the help. I am guessing by "hook" you mean check/checkbox. Nevertheless I don't see anything that I'm missing. I think the next step is to try your instructions on a Win7 64 machine, get that working, and then see if that helps me figure out what to do on the 2003 server machine.

Thanks!
<<

zadoro

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:27 pm

I have an issue with web/online content, but no problems at all with streaming content files on my PC. The only thing that works from online is Hulu content. Why is this? Crackle and the other Serviio-supported movie/full-feature content streams from the web work for about 2 minutes before causing the player to shut off. So strange. And live streams don't start at all before crashing and powering off the BD390. Sucks...

Has anyone come up with a BD390 specific profile? Would probably help a lot. I've attached some info about the codecs just in case someone thinks they can tackle this... Would certainly be appreciated.
Attachments
LG390 - DLNA Test Certificate.pdf
DLNA test certificate
(128.45 KiB) Downloaded 437 times
LG BD390 - codecs.JPG
Codec support from user manual
LG BD390 - codecs.JPG (88.76 KiB) Viewed 8742 times

Return to LG