FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Problems with MKV / H.264 on Sony BDP-S370 Bluray-Player

<<

thejudge

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: Problems with MKV / H.264 on Sony BDP-S370 Bluray-Player

Really great that to see whats actually happening here.

Bottom left on my screen i see AVS and 3 -17 Mbps is general useage and 0 lags or glitches.

However occasionally the Mbps jumps from 20-32 Mbs and its here that i start getting glitches.

In taskmanager / networking it says I have a 100Mbps network but it never goes above 18-20% network capacity even during the 20-30 Mbps spikes.

So is there a way to increase the bandwidth used to more than just 18-20%?

I am using WIndows 7 64bit ( 64bit Java for serviio)

thnx in advance.

edit: Could this have anything to do with cable bandwidth ( is that even possible?)
<<

Lowlander

DLNA master

Post Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:46 pm

There are some more parameters in network communication than just connection speed. I assume you use some kind of unmanaged switch to connect your devices to. "Unmanaged" means that you can't control (or monitor) the ports' speed, duplex mode etc. You have to rely on vendors getting their autosensing and autonegotiation mechanisms right, which can be an issue if you mix different vendors (Sony BDP, switch vendor, server NIC vendor). And there can be anything from flaky cables/connectors to electric potential issues, which can affect transmission of data over a network.

In our case I get the feeling that the Sony's capacity of processing a stream it receives over the network could be somewhat limited in comparison to the bandwidth it can read and decode directly from a BD. The fact that the Sony has an interface that is nominally capable of transmitting/receiving 100 Mbits of data per second does not necessarily mean that it can internally cope with that kind of bandwidth. It may well reach some kind of saturation with as little as 30 percent (TCP and other protocol overheads not counted) of it's nominal bandwidth.

Just my two pence worth of 20+ years as a network pro, I have no way to prove.
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:22 pm

I know that Sony is normative limited to 30Mbps with following profiles AVC:
AVC_TS_HD_EU 
AVC_TS_HD_EU_T
AVC_TS_HD_EU_ISO
Limited to 15Mbps for:
MPEG_TS_SD_EU
MPEG_TS_SD_EU_T
MPEG_TS_SD_EU_ISO
I don't know for Matroska container, but that must be like AVC_TS profile, 30Mbps.

EDIT: I have a Transformer mkv sample (AVC-with DTS) found here that have a Maximum Overall bit rate of 35,5 Mb/s when remux to a m2ts stream with tsmuxer. I will test it...
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

Lowlander

DLNA master

Post Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:57 am

Hi all,

does anybody have a clue which entry in the latest player profile posted here could possibly lead the player to misread the duration of movies? Example: The duration of a movie is correctly stored in the library as 1:29:07, but the player only sees 52:08 minutes and does in fact cease to play at 52:08.

This affects MPEG2 video with mp2 audio (DVD compatible), appearing in the player's directory as M2TS (muxed as TS file) or MPEG (muxed as MPG file). The TS files are in the library as DLNA.ORG_PN=MPEG_TS_SD_EU_ISO. This very format profile name is mentioned in the "generic DLNA profile" only, so I'm a bit lost right now.

CU,
Low
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:07 pm

I am not sure. But to let you know, all the formats listed in the Generic profile are inherited by the other profiles. It that file transcoded?
<<

Lowlander

DLNA master

Post Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:00 am

Zip,

thanks for looking into the issue, but durations are handeled correctly again now at my end.

What did I do? I deactivated transcoding and commented out all lines from the player profile which I did not immediately know from what they were doing. The issue was gone. I put the lines back in one block by one, and the issue was still gone. Even after activating transcoding again (those files had not been transcoded anyway), durations are still displayed correctly. Dunno what happened in the first place. Sure, I had to restart Servvio several times during the process, but I had done so before, so I'm quite sure the profile must have been active before as ist was saved.

Not quite a satisfactory form of debugging, but I can't reproduce the erraneous behaviour anymore.

Have a nice one,
Low
<<

thejudge

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:37 pm

any news about this bandwidth problem?

Ive tested my networks max capacity with a simple file copy from my wifes computer to mine and straight away my networks capacity goes to 100% usage
( around 11.4Mbytes /sec ).
WIth serviio running on my wifes computer she has exactly the same bandwidth capping problem as i do.
Can anyone shed any light as to whats actually happening?

update - seems my network capacity slowly drops after ~1hr and then i barely make 13% network capacity.
<<

gekkonaut

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:35 am

Hey everyone,

Appreciate the effort your putting into fixing these sorts of problems on the BDP-s370, but they're not all unique to Serviio. Many of the stuttering issues, particularly if you try to do any ffwd/rwd are particular to this model, and some other Sony players in general. Sony needs to be pressured into fixing these problems. I, for one, returned the bdp-s370 because of these issues (experienced in serviio and others). See this blog post for a good summary of DLNA on the bdp-s370:

http://james.vautin.com/?p=246
<<

Lowlander

DLNA master

Post Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:09 am

Hi,

The catch is that it's not that easy to put pressure on a global enterprise like Sony. In fact, any firmware release for the S370 could well be the last, regardless how buggy it may be, because R&D ppl are already developing an S380 or whatever and are just too busy to care for models that have left the labs many moons ago.

And, bringing up my old subs problem once more: Has anybody managed to get soft subs over DLNA, and if so, with which container and codecs?

CU,
Low
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:42 pm

Soft subs work in MKV, so I guess if you transcode VOBs into MKV that might work. Did you try that?

I'm not especially convinced by that guy's blog conclusion that the player must be the problem. Most of the DLNA servers are patchy at best. And I've certainly not ever seen the pink screen of death he talks about, and that's in months of tinkering with PS3MS and Serviio. I think Servio currently does almost everything perfectly - the only outstanding issue is the stuttering post-FFWD/REW. This only affects chunk transfers though, not M2TS playback. You can kind of get around the issue my transcoding everything to M2TS but then you lose alternate audio tracks and soft subs support in MKV.
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

patkevin

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:55 am

I've been able to get .mkv files to stream fine using one of the most recently posted profiles specific to the Sony BDP-S370.

The problem I am continuing to have is that audio stutters very badly for .mpg files that are streamed with Serviio. The video is fine. I am running the audio into an AV receiver. The Window7 box that I am running serveriio on does not seem to be stressed in any way.

I have tried both audio options (Keep Original / Downmix to Stereo) but the stuttering audio symptoms are the same. Specifying that 1 or 2 cores are to be used also makes no difference.

I am running Serveriio version 0.4.2

Any ideas as to what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated!
<<

Lowlander

DLNA master

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:12 am

Patkevin,

without knowing what codecs your mpg files are using, I'd suggest you let the S370 try and play the very same files from an USB stick to see if the player can cope with them at all.

CU,
Low
<<

Lowlander

DLNA master

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:31 am

patters wrote:Soft subs work in MKV, so I guess if you transcode VOBs into MKV that might work. Did you try that?

No, I did not try that yet. I always wanted to keep to standards and thought mkv would not be the first choice as a container for MPEG-2/mp2 from DVB recordings. I did try muxing other files into mkv before and found that the S370 doesn't play a single mkv I muxed myself (with mkvmerge GUI), regardless of codecs contained. It's fine with mkvs from the internet (most of which were muxed with mkvmerge as well), but not with any home muxed mkv. I'll dig further into this this afternoon. EDIT: mkvs containing anything other than h264 or divx don't seem to work at all, so my plan of muxing MPEG2 video, multiple audio and subs into mkvs has failed.

patters wrote:I'm not especially convinced by that guy's blog conclusion that the player must be the problem.

Me neither. I do have experienced the pink screen of death, though.

patters wrote:You can kind of get around the issue my transcoding everything to M2TS but then you lose alternate audio tracks and soft subs support in MKV.

Multi audio does work in TS here, and I'm in the happy position that almost all my subbed stuff is SD, so I can set a transcoding filter which only kicks in if it detects h264 inside an mkv. All other mkv are advertised to the player as divx as defined in the player profile (and do not FF/REWIND, but I'm fine with PAUSE/PLAY. If a new files gets FF-critical, I remux it to a native TS and can watch it forwards and backwards).

I have to admit I tried another DLNA server in the meantime, and it plays just about bl**dy everything on the S370. Multiple audio, multiple subs, flv and all. But at the cost of taking a completely different approach, by creating some kind of folder structure from each and every multitracked file, containing every possible combination of audio and subs, e.g. if you have a dual-audio dual-subs file, it creates one entry for each audio without subs and one for each audio with each sub, altogether there are 6 entries for that video, and 7 if you declare the container format playable natively in the server's setup, which creates a direct entry as well.

That's very versatile, but I'd clearly prefer a solution where I can switch between audio and subs while playing the video.

CU,
Low
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:33 pm

To recap here are the BDP-S370 device profiles as they currently stand (I go back and edit these when new modifications are discovered):-

Euro
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=326&p=3684#p3684

US (incorporating lostinserviio's mod)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=664#p3682

Canada (no one has confirmed it yet)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=727
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

Lowlander

DLNA master

Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:53 am

Hi all,

this may be not exactly S370 related, but my S370 still has got massive problems with home muxed MKV files. It's fine with MKVs from the internet, SD and HD, and it's fine with those reference videos for multi audio and multi subs (the rabbit thing and the GI Joe trailer).

But the Sony does instantly bail out into a PSOD when I try to play any MKV I muxed myself with the latest mkvmerge GUI. Needless to say that VLC plays everything fine. I even tried to demultiplex a random TV episode (H.264/AC3) in avidemux and re-muxing it with mkvmerge GUI -> PSOD. I compared those MKVs with MediaInfo, and the only difference I found is that those files from the i/n were muxed with an older version of mkvtoolnix.

I'm kind of stuck here, and any hint how to set up mkvmerge GUI properly to satisfy the Sony would be highly appreciated. I just spotted a new version of mkvmerge GUI and I'll give it a try tonight, but I don't think this is version related.

Thanks for reading,
Low
<<

YankeeFan

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:58 am

Hello. I'm very new to all of this, but I finally got the Serviio set up to play MKV's on my BDP-S470. However, I can't seem to get the subtitles to show. The mkv file has a sub stream, but when i hit the subtitle button on the remote nothing happens, can someone point me in the right direction?
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:16 am

YankeeFan wrote:...can someone point me in the right direction?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38#p242
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:15 pm

YankeeFan wrote:Hello. I'm very new to all of this, but I finally got the Serviio set up to play MKV's on my BDP-S470. However, I can't seem to get the subtitles to show. The mkv file has a sub stream, but when i hit the subtitle button on the remote nothing happens, can someone point me in the right direction?

This will only work on European and possibly Canadian players. Is yours a US one?
<<

YankeeFan

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:29 pm

patters wrote:
YankeeFan wrote:Hello. I'm very new to all of this, but I finally got the Serviio set up to play MKV's on my BDP-S470. However, I can't seem to get the subtitles to show. The mkv file has a sub stream, but when i hit the subtitle button on the remote nothing happens, can someone point me in the right direction?

This will only work on European and possibly Canadian players. Is yours a US one?

I got here in the US, so I guess it is. Are you saying that the US units cannot display subtitles embedded in an mkv file? what about an mts file? or just dropping a separate .srt file where the video file is located?
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:32 am

From another post of mine, but relevant here:

I think you're a bit stuck really because it seems that Sony only allowed MKV subtitle support on the European firmware. Maybe they were under pressure from the MPAA not to in the US or something. Even on that firmware though MKV is the only format it will read subs from, not even DVD VOBs (when the same DVD played from disc will show player-rendered subs in the awful interlacy font the BDP uses).

Though Serviio is able to advertise an SRT to the renderer as a subtitle resource, the implementation of this is manufacturer-specific, falling as it does outside the DLNA spec. It works for later generation Samsung devices but little else unfortunately.
PreviousNext

Return to Sony