FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

serviio startup with windows

<<

kubbaz

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:33 am

serviio startup with windows

Im a long time novice user, of about 2 years now i suppose. every so often have this issue where i start my pc and serviio doesnt.

in the task manager there are 2 serviios in the processes and 1 in the services. All 3 are present when i make serviio work after boot up (stop server then start sever), same when the pc starts and serviio is not working, these 3 items are still there

All i want to do is have serviio operational when i boot my pc.. Like it used to and sometimes still does, but not always.....

i have uninstalled/reinstalled several times to no avail, however once i reinstall it, serviio will work the first few times i restart my pc, then it just wont work anymore uless i stop and start the server.. weird
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:03 am

Re: serviio startup with windows

kubbaz wrote:Im a long time novice user, of about 2 years now i suppose. every so often have this issue where i start my pc and serviio doesnt.

in the task manager there are 2 serviios in the processes and 1 in the services. All 3 are present when i make serviio work after boot up (stop server then start sever), same when the pc starts and serviio is not working, these 3 items are still there

All i want to do is have serviio operational when i boot my pc.. Like it used to and sometimes still does, but not always.....

i have uninstalled/reinstalled several times to no avail, however once i reinstall it, serviio will work the first few times i restart my pc, then it just wont work anymore uless i stop and start the server.. weird

havent got a clue as you havent told us enough information.

version of serviio?

OS?

version of java?

wired/wireless?

serviio log file.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

kubbaz

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:10 am

ok so long as you understand my question..

serviio 0.6.1
windows 7x64
java 1.0.6.23 edit: now 1.7......
wired

log after manual stop/start serviio
log after restart.. serviio not working
Attachments
manual start.log
(4.91 KiB) Downloaded 467 times
after normal restart.log
(11.87 KiB) Downloaded 451 times
Last edited by kubbaz on Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:31 pm

ding ding ding we have a winner :lol:

java 1.0.6.23

1. uninstall JAVA.

2. restart PC

3. reinstall latest version of java 1.6 update 30/31

4. restart pc

5. install serviio 0.6.2

Done :)
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

kubbaz

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:20 am

i installed in order, howevever my java is now 1.7.0.03 after updating

still same issue however.. after reinstalling everything it worked, then after about 5 restarts its gone again. still the same processes in the task manager and all.

:?

perhaps a specific Java link?? :)
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:33 am

hmm that very strange, ok guess best thing is a complete reinstall of serviio.

1. uninstall serviio

2. check serviio has been completelky deleted, including library.

3. restart PC

4. reinstall serviio 0.6.2

5. test again.

BTW java 1.7.03 is fine.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

kubbaz

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:27 am

Cerberus wrote:hmm that very strange,

no kidding, after reinstalling again, results:

restart pc several times. serviio shows up.
then voialla no serviio after like 6 times of restarting....
restart several more times, serviio shows up like once every 5 restarts

btw, how do i check that the library has uninstalled?
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:32 am

kubbaz wrote:
Cerberus wrote:hmm that very strange,

no kidding, after reinstalling again, results:

restart pc several times. serviio shows up.
then voialla no serviio after like 6 times of restarting....
restart several more times, serviio shows up like once every 5 restarts

btw, how do i check that the library has uninstalled?

if it has completely uninstalled you would have to of reentered all your setting in console, like shared folders. :) if you did then post again and will foward a link to post to zip as it maybe a bug, if you didnt then uninstall one last time then go to C:\program files\ and find the serviio directory and then delete it, tht will clear any remaning serviio files. then you can reinstall and you should then be sorted.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

kubbaz

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:40 am

o yeah, i have to re do all my settings when i reinstall.. i always check to make sure serviio is gone when i uninstall it

edit:

just a thought. ive set the serviio service to "delay" in the services settings.. This works, however.... it takes about 2 minutes for serviio to come on line. This does work without fail though.

Seems to me that there is another service that conflicts with serviio on start up. not sure what tho, relatively new install of x64
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:32 am

kubbaz wrote:o yeah, i have to re do all my settings when i reinstall.. i always check to make sure serviio is gone when i uninstall it

edit:

just a thought. ive set the serviio service to "delay" in the services settings.. This works, however.... it takes about 2 minutes for serviio to come on line. This does work without fail though.

Seems to me that there is another service that conflicts with serviio on start up. not sure what tho, relatively new install of x64

ah ok your network card is slow to start that would make sense not much we can do about that, except what u have already done be delaying serviio starting.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

npuser

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:42 pm

kubbaz - Here is what you could do in windows environment. Add 'Tcpip' and/or 'NetBT' services as dependencies to serviio service. This does require you to change registry which could potentially cause problem if you are not careful. However, if setup correctly, this approach is a fail safe method than that of delay start. Setting up a Tcpip dependency on serviio service tells windows not to start serviio until Tcpip (or NetBT = NetBios over TCPIP) is ready.

Procedure to add dependency:
1. Start regedit
2. Go to - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Serviio
3. Then click Add Value
4. Create a new value name "DependOnService" (without the quotation marks) with a data type of REG_MULTI_SZ, and then click OK.
5. When the Data dialog box appears, type Tcpip (case sensitive, one entry for each line if you are adding multiple dependencies), and then click OK.

If the everything entered correctly, your serviio service dependency should look like attached picture.

Note: I also have .reg file with encoded dependonservice key with this post. The .reg file only applies to windows 7 64bit.

WARNING !!! DO NOT APPLY .REG FILE DIRECTLY TO YOUR PC. THE FILE IS FOR YOUR REFERENCE ONLY.
Attachments
Serviio-Dependency.reg.txt
(350 Bytes) Downloaded 533 times
Serviio-Tcpip-Dependency.JPG
Serviio-Tcpip-Dependency.JPG (36.84 KiB) Viewed 19598 times
<<

kubbaz

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:07 am

thanks for the suggestion, i shall give it a try.

Im still curious as to why the server starts up for the first few times after i install serviio. Doesn't really make much sense that it decides to fail after 5 or so pc restarts.

And secondly, if i leave it (like i have a choice) every so often it works anyway. What ever the discrepancy is, seems only infrequent.. Or something
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:29 am

kubbaz wrote:thanks for the suggestion, i shall give it a try.

Im still curious as to why the server starts up for the first few times after i install serviio. Doesn't really make much sense that it decides to fail after 5 or so pc restarts.

And secondly, if i leave it (like i have a choice) every so often it works anyway. What ever the discrepancy is, seems only infrequent.. Or something

Can you post your serviio.log file.
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
<<

kubbaz

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:12 am

moltra wrote:
kubbaz wrote:thanks for the suggestion, i shall give it a try.

Can you post your serviio.log file.

thats already up champo !!

http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?p=40166#p40166
<<

kubbaz

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:58 am

npuser wrote:kubbaz - Here is what you could do in windows environment. Add 'Tcpip' and/or 'NetBT' services as dependencies to serviio service. This does require you to change registry which could potentially cause problem if you are not careful. However, if setup correctly, this approach is a fail safe method than that of delay start. Setting up a Tcpip dependency on serviio service tells windows not to start serviio until Tcpip (or NetBT = NetBios over TCPIP) is ready.

Procedure to add dependency:
1. Start regedit
2. Go to - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Serviio
3. Then click Add Value
4. Create a new value name "DependOnService" (without the quotation marks) with a data type of REG_MULTI_SZ, and then click OK.
5. When the Data dialog box appears, type Tcpip (case sensitive, one entry for each line if you are adding multiple dependencies), and then click OK.

If the everything entered correctly, your serviio service dependency should look like attached picture.

Note: I also have .reg file with encoded dependonservice key with this post. The .reg file only applies to windows 7 64bit.

WARNING !!! DO NOT APPLY .REG FILE DIRECTLY TO YOUR PC. THE FILE IS FOR YOUR REFERENCE ONLY.

I cant imagine im the only one with this issue, it seems too simple.

i think the above info should be stickied, and maybe elevated to have this reg edit incorporated in the next version. It certainly done the job for me anyway

As far as the results have gone, so far, flawless. I have restarted several times and has worked every time
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:00 am

<<

molitar

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:47 pm

Ok the Wiki is awful. Nowhere under Windows Install does it tell about this problem with Servio failing to start at bootup. Nowheres. Where that Wiki link led me to doesn't even make sense when viewing Wiki from Wiki home. This problem needs to be stickied under support itself here! It took me ages figuring out why it was failing to start. And why is the service not installed with delayed startup by default when created or with dependency with TCP/IP?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:01 am

molitar wrote:Ok the Wiki is awful. Nowhere under Windows Install does it tell about this problem with Servio failing to start at bootup. Nowheres. Where that Wiki link led me to doesn't even make sense when viewing Wiki from Wiki home. This problem needs to be stickied under support itself here! It took me ages figuring out why it was failing to start. And why is the service not installed with delayed startup by default when created or with dependency with TCP/IP?

The Wiki is user generated content. Feel free to update it to help others in future ;-)
<<

Christopher_Povey

Serviio lover

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:39 pm

You may have fixed you problem by now but, I had a similar issue.

When I looked in the Serviio log, it was allocating the "unknown invalid IP address" to itself because the service was starting up before the network card was ready. In my case its because my router (BT HomeHub 2.0A) is a pile off poo! The DHCP Server was not allocating an IP address to my PC fast enough. I fixed the issue on my PC by allocating it a static IP address.
Chris

Running Serviio on Intel Q6700 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 PC feeding a Sony BDP-S570, Pansonic TX-L37G20B, and a XBox 360.
Managed with Serviidroid via HTC One X

Return to User experiences