FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio bought out by Sony?

<<

Evostance

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:25 pm

Serviio bought out by Sony?

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/1237485339460

So ermm, Sony Homestream is identical to Serviio.

What gives?
<<

WorldOfHurt

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:39 pm

Re: Serviio bought out by Sony?

I imagine Petr decided to monetize his product. Best of luck to him. Hope he's made some decent cash.

No disrepect to Sony's software division, but I'll stick with the original, thanks ;)
<<

Evostance

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:40 pm

WorldOfHurt wrote:I imagine Petr decided to monetize his product. Best of luck to him. Hope he's made some decent cash.

No disrepect to Sony's software division, but I'll stick with the original, thanks ;)

Yeah just like to know. Considering Sony killed MKV's on the PS3, wonder if they will kill of MKV transcoding support etc :cry:
<<

WorldOfHurt

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:48 pm

Well I hope that they have just licenced the core engine. Most of the heavy lifting is open-source software - Serviio is just providing the orchestration, so we can just hope they've commissioned a custom version of it and the core project remains unchanged.

It would be a shame if development stops, although I am pretty happy with the current version.

Hopefully Petr will clarify the situation at some point. But at the moment I hope he's busy planning which tropical island to spend the money on :D
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:55 pm

To clarify, Homestream is a customized and more light-weight (eg no online support, less profiles) version of Serviio, Sony UK bought 1 year license for now. No need to worry, Serviio continues as a standalone project with additional features. Hope this will help Sony to spread the knowledge about home streaming, thus gaining bigger audience and comiting themselves to further improve their DLNA support.
<<

zip

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:56 pm

Evostance wrote:
WorldOfHurt wrote:I imagine Petr decided to monetize his product. Best of luck to him. Hope he's made some decent cash.

Yeah just like to know. Considering Sony killed MKV's on the PS3, wonder if they will kill of MKV transcoding support etc :cry:

Definitely not, they want to be able to play as many formats as possible on their devices. That's one of the main reasons why they picked Serviio :-)
<<

Evostance

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:19 pm

zip wrote:To clarify, Homestream is a customized and more light-weight (eg no online support, less profiles) version of Serviio, Sony UK bought 1 year license for now. No need to worry, Serviio continues as a standalone project with additional features. Hope this will help Sony to spread the knowledge about home streaming, thus gaining bigger audience and comiting themselves to further improve their DLNA support.

Awesome :)

However I see zero reason to use it when Serviio does more :lol:
<<

zip

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:38 pm

Evostance wrote:However I see zero reason to use it when Serviio does more :lol:

Sure. But Sony will be able to push it to their customers and educate them. Then the users can move over to the more advanced solution if they wish.
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:52 pm

Congratulation Zip, its seems that your work will generate money...
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:06 pm

Pretty cool that Sony picked this up given most manufactures DLNA software is terrible.
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:43 pm

Great news Zip seems all of your hard work is paying off. Congrads!!
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

RXP

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:26 am

Well done, you spend a lot of time on this so happy you're getting something for it!
<<

kairoh

DLNA master

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:34 pm

Well done Zip!
Serviio WebUI console developer : New Homepage | Support | Project | Issues

Samsung UA32C6600 | WinXP / Ubuntu 11.10 | Samsung Galaxy S | Freebox v6
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

npuser

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:06 pm

Zip is drawn over to the dark side !!! :shock: Congratulation ! though. Hope they renew the license for more than just a year.

The last thing Sony needs to ruined is a DLNA server, looks like they are getting their wish. The day Sony devices stop "sucking" is the day they start making vacuum cleaners. So far i am really impressed with Sony devices (i own 5 of them) but the quality of the products are just going downhill lately, so i heard.

BTW: The title of this thread is misleading/confusing at the best - serviio is not sold or bought out. As Zip said sony bought the license for a year.

Thanks
NPuser
Last edited by npuser on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:03 pm

Wow!! I think this is very good news for Bravia users!
I was going to buy Samsung TV next as they support subtitles but since Sony UK have chosen Serviio as their main streaming client they will work closely with Zip making a refined solution.

Who knows we could see subtitles support, chapters on mkv support and so much more! Who knows maybe an iOS app!
Congrats Zip! And thank you Sony UK for choosing Serviio!
Sony Bravia 2010 52NX803 - Sony PS3 - Xbox 360
Serviio running on QNAP NAS 639 Pro - 1.6 Intel Dual Core - 2GB RAM and QNAP NAS 121 - 2Ghz ARM Marvell - 1GB RAM
Console using ServiiDroid for Android, ServiiMetro and ServiiWP for Windows Phone and WebUI for iOS
<<

barlet

Serviio newbie

Post Mon May 07, 2012 9:40 pm

Congratulations Zip! I have tried many others (Twon ky, Wild Media Server etc) but they all suck. Serviio is superior to all of them and the licencing of the software to Sony proves this. Keep up the good work. By the way, I own a Sony Bravia 3D after yet another Sony. Lately unfortunately, Sony seems to have lost ground and is falling way behind the others (like Samsung). I am sure that now, with the help of Serviio, it will manage to regain its top position once more. Let's keep our fingers crossed!
<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Sun May 13, 2012 6:45 pm

barlet wrote:Congratulations Zip! I have tried many others (Twon ky, Wild Media Server etc) but they all suck. Serviio is superior to all of them and the licencing of the software to Sony proves this. Keep up the good work. By the way, I own a Sony Bravia 3D after yet another Sony. Lately unfortunately, Sony seems to have lost ground and is falling way behind the others (like Samsung). I am sure that now, with the help of Serviio, it will manage to regain its top position once more. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

I was going to buy a Samsung for my next 3D TV but now Sony have chosen Serviio/Homestream I'm still deciding. Reviews have been very good for the latest Sony TV and praising Homestream getting 10/10 here - http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-kdl- ... _TV_review
Hey Zip nice #Homestream got you on camera here!
Sony Bravia 2010 52NX803 - Sony PS3 - Xbox 360
Serviio running on QNAP NAS 639 Pro - 1.6 Intel Dual Core - 2GB RAM and QNAP NAS 121 - 2Ghz ARM Marvell - 1GB RAM
Console using ServiiDroid for Android, ServiiMetro and ServiiWP for Windows Phone and WebUI for iOS
<<

zip

Post Sun May 13, 2012 6:58 pm

Xmantium wrote:Hey Zip nice #Homestream got you on camera here!

;-) yep, it was a nice session with the Sony guys.
<<

loop

Serviio newbie

Post Wed May 16, 2012 1:36 am

I knew I made the right choice going with Serviio - well done zip!
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Tue May 22, 2012 8:07 pm

The headline says Sony google tv to get plex built in it also says "2012 Sony Internet TVs" to get plex.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/22/sony ... -standard/

Hope this doesn't mean Sony UK dumping serviio rebrand version
Next

Return to General discussion