FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Sony BDP-S490 and subtitles

<<

oRuin

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:58 pm

Sony BDP-S490 and subtitles

Hello,

I have recently bought a Sony BDP-S490 and a Serviio licence to stream media from my PC over our home network.
I'm having a problem with streaming MKV files and subtitles. I cannot get any subtitles to display at all, either using the subtitles in the container or external subtitles (.srt)
I have done some googling and read quite a few things concerning this issue with many other Sony products. I was wondering if it is possible in anyway to get subtitles to display.
Sadly, my farther has a problem with his hearing and subtitles help him out while watching movies.

If this is not possible, is there any other Bluray player I should look at purchasing to replace the Sony?

Thanks for reading!

Neil
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Sony BDP-S490 and subtitles

Subtitles not supported on Sony Bravia devices (external or embedded).

Only Embedded DivXSub are supported on Sony BDP (UK) devices. (not supported with US device)

Buring Subtitles will be implemented in the next serviio version.
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

oRuin

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:11 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I read the sticky post titled '[Readme] Sony Bluray Disc/Network Media Players' and edited the profiles file (I'm in the UK, with a UK bought Sony player)
Does this profile edit still work? I did try the change but some movies I got no sound at all, although I did get subs on some older files.
I made the edit because I'm on a wired connection.

I guess I might have to exchange the Sony for another Blu ray player. Can you recommend any other Bluray player that can play a large about of formats with subtitles?

Thanks for your time

Neil
UK
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:27 pm

oRuin wrote:I read the sticky post titled '[Readme] Sony Bluray Disc/Network Media Players' and edited the profiles file (I'm in the UK, with a UK bought Sony player)

If you want matroska to be delivered in native format, you have to comment all matroska matches on profile.

oRuin wrote:I guess I might have to exchange the Sony for another Blu ray player. Can you recommend any other Bluray player that can play a large about of formats with subtitles?

Samsung devices ... or wait for future serviio version.
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

oRuin

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:41 pm

Ok, I figured it out. I have a WDTV box which has not been used for a while. Connected that up to my receiver and it works perfectly. Going to be using that with Serviio for my file shares.

Thanks for your time!

Neil

Return to Sony