FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

folder structure

<<

dalanik

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:27 pm

folder structure

Hello everyone,

please bear with my igorance, I'm quite new to the DLNA scene, but I used and made HTPCs for last several years. Just got samsung LE40C550 and decided to try out DLNA.

I just wish to clear some things in my head how it all works, so maybe some of you with knowledge can confirm or explain how it all works (roughly).

I successfully connected both the PC with Serviio and my Wl700gE router which can act as DLNA server and I can stream off of them. So far so good. But I'm trying to make things easier and more friendly... A lot of "clicking" in Samsung software... :)

1) Anyways, when I run media player it is presented with a list of DLNA devices. When I select device, I get (also Samsung) menu with 3 icons: Movies, Audio, Pictures. Right now, I'm only trying Movies, so other categories are of no interest at the time. I select Movies (or Video) and I am presented with 3 folders: Movies, Audio and Pictures. This, I suspect, is NOT Samsung thing, but DLNA server thing. This is what I don't understand. If I already selected MOVIES (from Samsung software) why am I presented with ALL 3 folders again? Is there a way to avoid it. I obviously won't have any movies under "audio" or "pictures" :)

2) When I open "movies" folder, I get another list of folders, presumably all created by Serviio. Latest opened, Latest added, Movies, Series, Folder, All... Now. I connected 3 folders in Serviio. They are external USB disks connected to my HTPC or NASes. They all are called "movies" (and are shared 1 level prior in windows). What I get when I select "Folder" is 3 "movies" folders. A bit confusing, but I understand the logic.

2a) Would it be possible to mark them with something (share name) so they can be distinguished?
2b) It would be even BETTER if they would be MERGED and displayed as ONE folder, if they have the same name (as they do).
2c) The weird thing is that when I open each and every of these 3 folders, I get exactly 38 pages of movies folders list, and I checked 1st page, and all movies are available under all 3 folders! Weird? So it seems if the folders are called the same, it ALREADY "merges" the content - but still displays 3 folders. Can this be fixed? Either with 2a) or better yet 2b) ? :)

enough for now, but expect me to be a real pain in the a** :) This is great software - so it would be a pity not to make it even better!

zip, if I may a personal question, from your name I guess you are Czech?

regards,
Dalibor
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: folder structure

If I already selected MOVIES (from Samsung software) why am I presented with ALL 3 folders again? Is there a way to avoid it. I obviously won't have any movies under "audio" or "pictures" :)

The first menu is the TV's, the second Serviio's. Serviio doesn't know what you selected on the TV beforehand, so it's the way it is.

2a) Would it be possible to mark them with something (share name) so they can be distinguished?

There is already a feature request for this.

2b) It would be even BETTER if they would be MERGED and displayed as ONE folder, if they have the same name (as they do).

No

2c) The weird thing is that when I open each and every of these 3 folders, I get exactly 38 pages of movies folders list, and I checked 1st page, and all movies are available under all 3 folders!

This is a bug with the TV.

zip, if I may a personal question, from your name I guess you are Czech?

Jasan.
<<

dalanik

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:41 pm

No

Pity. After all, users don't care for internal folder organisation :) I suppose there is no way to edit the Serviio database with something?

D.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:21 pm

That's why there are the categories like Series, Movies, etc

Return to Samsung