FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

streaming desk top to tv

<<

danprice86

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:19 pm

Re: streaming desk top to tv

Hi,

If I just open the command prompt from the start menu its set to C:\windows\system32> .

When I run the bat, I get C:\Program Files (x86)\videolan\vlc>streamdesktop.bat repeating indefinitely as per attachment.

Bat file is saved in VLC installation file (C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN)

The address of the vlc.exe is C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC

I get the same outcome if I save it on the desktop.

Thanks...
Attachments
bat screen.png
bat screen.png (198.92 KiB) Viewed 18308 times
<<

danprice86

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:19 pm

Forget the BAT file for now - though I still want it to work, so I can tweak the various speed/image settings to get it crisp.

For a test though, I made a stream through VLC by going through captured device, direct show, http output shown locally etc, and had a steady image in the VLC window by changing the resolution... Pretty much exactly as the bat file would appear to do.

I add the computers ip address inc. the :8081 (as I changed from 8080 default in VLC) to the live stream input section in Online Sources. I get a green tick. I cannot see the link on the TV (Samsung), why?

The stream was running in VLC before I added it to the console.

So, my problem is now two fold:

1. The Bat problem as previously mentioned.
2. The TV doesnt appear to recognise the stream when done manually.

I know this is probably frustrating for you experienced guys - but I am just learning the power of this software and keen to use it to its full.

Cheers, and thanks.

Dan
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:16 pm

I have no idea what you are doing. There is nothing in the bat that would change the default prompt, and you have not shown the command you are using to start the bat so you have something in the way that's doing that and causing your problem.
<<

danprice86

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:51 pm

Hi.

I have now downloaded VAC and it shows in VLC. I think that will probably work when done manually, as I think the free audio recorder was causing issues. I am not at home, so cannot test this yet.

Re: the bat...

I now, should, have the same setup as you, with the exception of the VLC installation path. My installation path is C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC.exe

Please expand on what you mean by 'the command used to start the bat'. I thought it was a case of just double clicking on it?

Am I correct in having the Bat file in the VLC installation file?

After some messing about I now have the command prompt of C:\Users\Dan Price>

But when I click my bat file, I get one of 2 outcomes. If I leave streamdesktop.bat in the bat file I get the repeating screen as mentioned. If I remove it I get c:\program is not recognised as a internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I must be close to success, but I just cant see it...

I should add, I am on Windows 8, dont know if this could effect it.

Dan

EDIT - - if I move the bat file to c:\bat as you do I get a similar outcome as last mentioned. See screenshot
Attachments
bat3.png
bat3.png (51.89 KiB) Viewed 18300 times
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:54 pm

Per the wiki, the bat file starts at the @echo off line and the vlc command is in quotes. Starting with the streamdesktop.bat line it just keeps executing itself.
<<

danprice86

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:23 pm

Well - I have no idea what I did, but between a combination of your pointers and my own cack-handed fiddling VLC now launches. Great stuff.

I cannot report back re: if I can access this from the TV until I get home from work later.

Thankyou so much for your help. Im very grateful for you taking the time out to do so.

Regards.
<<

danprice86

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:35 am

I can confirm sound and video works, and works well... I shall raise a drink to you.

I ask one final question - I (occasionally) get a frozen image for 5 seconds while the tv 'loads', I suspect this is essentially buffering. Any settings you could recommend to change that would help that?

Thanks again.
<<

Nicebutdim

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:26 am

I'm really stumped here. I don't see any .bat file at all - I just kept the whole process as simple as possible:

I installed the audio & video capture apps; selected both inputs in 'Open Capture Device' in VLC (I know they're working, because I can see them if I choose to display locally); clicked Stream; clicked Next leaving 'dshow://' untouched; clicked HTTP as the new destination and left Port at '8080' & Path at '/'; put Transcoding to 'WMV/WMA'; hit Next; hit Stream.

Then I jumped to Serviio console: I added a Live Stream with the video URL http://192.168.0.5:8080 (I had checked, and that's my static IP according to Control Panel's Network & Sharing). Then hey presto: I got the green tick, which was nice. I proceeded to refresh Serviio and sure enough 'Desktop' now appears on my TV... but it says cannot load...

I'm painfully close to getting this sorted. Have I got the wrong transcoding option? Everything seems to be working... but it's not!!

(PS Edited a few times as made more progress)
<<

Nicebutdim

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:28 am

Update: after further reading it seems likely the issue is with my transcoding settings. I've uploaded my Panasonic Viera TX-L37E5B's media format specs here: http://i.imgur.com/8sPVdKg.jpg But as far as Codecs are concerned, I'm absolutely clueless. Am already in way over my head...

Can anyone help me get this working? I've invested far too much time in this to walk away now, so will gladly furnish whoever helps with bitcoin / pro membership etc etc. Details of my problem in the post above... Please someone help!

(PS also tried in TVersity: mms://127.0.0.1:1234 was accepted & played back in the console, but again TV said cannot read file. It must be the transcoding...)
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:44 pm

What did you not understand about "Note that the use of MPEG2 is essential to the success of this process"? The bat works as published so why muck about?
<<

Nicebutdim

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:21 pm

Hi jhb50 - 'MPEG2 + MPGA' is among the transcoding options I've tried with no success (I just re-tried it now... "Cannot read file" as usual). In fact I've tried every transcoding profile in the dropdown menu. If 'MPEG2 + MPGA' is the one to use... then I must need to do something else too?

NB I tried editing the settings of that profile by changing frame rate from 0.00 to 10 (I assume 0.00 means unlimited, and 10 is a relatively low number?). When I do that, VLC gives me the error "Streaming / Transcoding failed: VLC could not open the encoder". Does this perhaps point to a possible cause? Or am I barking up the wrong tree there?

NB2 I have also tried editing the settings under 'H.264 + MP3' by specifying the video codec as MPEG-2. Again, no success (and in this instance Serviio doesn't give me a green tick).

Am trying my best to read and understand everything, but I still don't even understand what the bat is... I'm sure I'm 90% of the way there...

EDIT: is there a way I can log what's happening, so someone can diagnose my mistakes? It's pretty obvious that I'm in over my head here & I'm doing something quite basic wrong. I must have tested this more than 100 times now :( Every time 'Cannot read file'. It's infuriating. (PS my laptop is seven years old... is that the ultimate problem?!)
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:41 pm

I still don't even understand what the bat is

What's to understand? bat is basic to windows. Just follow the wiki.
<<

Nicebutdim

Post Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:43 am

Trust me jhb50 I've read it several times, and posted the exact problems I've encountered here. But any help from the forum always just comes in the form of further reading, which doesn't address my specific problems. The term 'wild goose chase' springs to mind, which is annoying because I'm sure it's a simple fix.

Serviio is just too confusing for me (and btw 'basic' is a subjective term). I'm gonna drill some holes in my walls and sling an HDMI cable through instead. Bet I'm not the first to reach that conclusion!
<<

debtea

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:37 pm

Hi nicebutdim, I wondered the same thing at first,where is the bat file, then it hit me. I had to make it. I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes :D . Just create a text file on your desktop name it Desktop Stream or whatever you want to let you now what it is. Then open it and copy paste the script in wiki, close and save file. At this point it's still a text file. Change the file extension to .bat (instead of .txt) and there you have it. You will double click this to get everything running, then add to serviio. (If you don't see the file extension then you have to turn on file extension view in folder options). Hope this helps those who don't know how to create a bat file.
I encourage everyone to keep at it, I finally got it working and I LOVE IT! I had a problem reading others scripts and copying others info, couldn't get my bat file to work right as it would stream to my computer but no where else. There was a return key pressed in the bat file making it not work. Such a simple thing that caused such a big problem!! These guys did a great job and this is a wonderful program!
<<

luk71

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:24 pm

Hello everybody !
I followed the steps described in wiki.
I have windows 7 x86, Serviio 1.3.1, VLC 1.1.10, screen-capture-recorder and virtual audio capture
I can see the video and audio input filters listed in VLC-Media-Open capture device
My PC IP is 192.168.1.10
When I run the .bat file on my PC I can connect from another device to http://192.168.1.10:8081 and see the desktop of my PC with sound, so the VLC is streaming correctly.
In Serviio console -Library-Online sources I added a new source
Source type "Live stream"
Source URL http://192.168.1.10:8081
Display name "Desktop"
Media type "Video"
When I click on "Check stream URL" a green mark is displayed.
The Serviio server is running
On my Samsung TV ES 5500 at source can see "All share Serviio"
If I choose "Videos" under "Folders" I can see the shared content (videos) from PC
Under "Online" I cannot see the online source created by me and named "Desktop"

What am I doing wrong ?

I forgot to mention that my PC and TV has static IP's
In Serviio console-Status the profile to my TV is set to "Samsung TV/player C/D/E/F series"
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:44 pm

From the wiki:
"(Note that zip has advised that the stream must be running, as instructed above, when the link is added to the console, else Serviio will not accept the link or display it in the Online menu.) Then on the TV click on the “Desktop” icon and the stream should play. "

if you did not do this, just start the stream and "Force refresh" the stream in the console using right click.
<<

luk71

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:58 am

Hi,

The stream was running before was add to Serviio. As I mentioned before I also checked the stream when I add it and I saw a green mark so I believe the Serviio "saw" it but for some reason cannot further stream it.

LE: I tried Force scan and after that I pressed Status but all I saw was 2 red points.
The Desktop link whas not added to Library.

LE2: I still struggle to make this work but without success :(
I still cannot see the "Desktop" link in the online
library from TV and I don't know from were comes the problem.
From a smartphone I can play directly the stream generated by VLC through the local network with image and sound !
I tried to see the stream on the local PC with mplayer as suggested in wiki but it didn't work.
Please tell me another player whith which I can test the VLC streaming locally on the PC.

LE3: It's working !!
I uninstalled Serviio, after that I installed it again and now it works !!
Now I face another problem: my computer is not strong enough to have a flawless stream all the time :-( But this is another story.
<<

respas

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:28 pm

Hello,

Firs of all sorry about my english..
My problem..: i did everything like in wiki tutorial, but i get this picture on my Sony BD player (image bellow)
I dont know whats wrong..

I use:
VLC media player 2.0.8 (maybe wrong VLC version?)
Screen Capture Recorder: https://github.com/rdp/screen-capture-r ... ndows-free (i tried to configure, tried to change many settings.. result the same..)
Sony bdv-n590

Thanks..

EDIT: When i click PLAY on VLC, then i see my desktop in VLC normal, but when i do STREAM and show locally, i see the same picture as on my TV(image bellow)

<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:02 pm

Screen capture does not like your screen resolution. Set a different PC screen resolution as explained in the wiki.
<<

mntr86

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:28 pm

someone can help me for update the bat file? I'have the lastest versions of VLC. The stream in VLC works fine but when I put the http code in serviio it doesn't works (red sign).

This is my addres:

http://10.161.224.82:8081

Thank you very much

Inviato dal mio GT-I8190 utilizzando Tapatalk
PreviousNext

Return to General discussion