FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

NAS to replace PC w/portable Drive as Media Server

<<

Caradepoto

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:35 pm

NAS to replace PC w/portable Drive as Media Server

Hello All,
I have been using Serviio for some time now and have also recommended it to a few co-workers in place of Plex. The application works great on my Samsung Smart TV and love how it grabs the medadata so you can have a sort of ITunes feel. My current issue is that in order to watch my movies on my USB portable drive thru my spare PC the PC has to be on or turned on and then off when done with the movie. I would love to purchase a NAS with 4 Bay's to increase my storage at least to 4TB and use it as my media server to replace the PC. After reading several post I thought I had my answer (yes) but then some say you still need a PC to run Serviio and then point it to your NAS. I am looking at the two below NAS and it would be great if I can just run Serviio on any one of these and stream directly to my TV without needing a PC in the mix. Any advice or direction would be great...Thank you and Great Product...

NAS:
Synology DS415play
or
QNAP TS-451-US 4-Bay
<<

pzfletcher

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:46 pm

Re: NAS to replace PC w/portable Drive as Media Server

Greetings Caradepoto; Synology NAS user here. When the Serviio server running on your NAS, you only need the PC Serviio client to setup you preferences; there is no GUI built in to the Serviio NAS server. Once set up though, the server will stream to your destination(s) with no PC involvement. Enjoy.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: NAS to replace PC w/portable Drive as Media Server

One word of caution. Most NAS devices are fairly low power. If your TV requires your videos to be transcoded (you didn't say which model TV you have) it's possible it might not keep up. That said, a NAS server is a great idea if you don't want to leave your computer on.

For my Samsung H and HU series TVs, nothing needs transcoding except Windows Media Center recorded TV (WTV) and maybe online sources.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to User experiences