FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Samsung series 7 wireless connection to PC

<<

hexeta

DLNA master

Post Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:19 am

Samsung series 7 wireless connection to PC

I might not be in possession of sufficient facts here, as I'm trying to help my (even less tech savvy) cousin to get her Samsung up and running!
My own TV is a Sony Bravia KDL-40NX803, and is my only experience of "Smart TV's".
It just "worked" as soon as it was plugged in, found my home network and established a connection with both router and my PC.
......Great, except for its pernicketiness concerning the file types, particularly video, that it would display.
Thank God I was told about Serviio, and the help I've since received here to "fine tune it"! 8-)

Her Samsung has found the router and can access the internet without a problem, but she has been unable to find any connection to her PC in order to access her personal files.
I first posted for help on the Smart TV's section of "Digital Spy", but the consensus there seems to be that the Samsung requires a third party DLNA server to be installed on the PC in order for it to communicate with the TV.
I find it difficult to believe that this Is this correct, when my Sony TV required no external help "finding" my PC....which it labeled "Windows Media Player" presumably this is the software responsible for streaming from a Windows PC. :?

I'm not sure which OS my cousin is using, most likely Windows 7, but surely this should communicate with her TV at least as well as my own Vista PC does with mine, without the immediate need for her to complicate the issue with additional software.

Hope I've given sufficient detail for someone to be able to offer some help. :mrgreen:
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:21 am

Re: Samsung series 7 wireless connection to PC

Serviio is the DLNA server you need to install. WMP is another example. Is the Samsung cannot see theserver (Serviio), follow FAQ http://www.serviio.org/component/content/article/21#q1

Especially firewall settings and bound address.
<<

hexeta

DLNA master

Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:48 pm

Thanks zip, I'm not really very clever with this technology.
Should her Samsung TV be able to "see" her PC, which I presume runs Windows 7 without any other software?
If so, is it likely that it will be "seeing" Windows Media Player, like my Sony set does?
Should she follow the instructions you link to in order to get her machine to see WMP?
If she can achieve this, then I will be able to convince her to install Serviio because she was impressed with the simplicity of mine. :D
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:40 pm

to see WMP you should search for support on Microsoft website. You'll have to enable enable media sharing.
<<

hexeta

DLNA master

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:47 pm

Thanks zip, I'll try to get my cousin to enable media sharing.
Hopefully she will then see the benefit of installing Serviio!
:D

Return to Samsung